3rd Overall Pick - Trey Lance vs Justin Fields (with bonus third poll option)

N4L

Which QB?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB do you want the niners to draft?

• Trey Lance
    • Justin Fields
    • Neither, I would rather shoot N4L in the face with a shotgun by drafting Mac Jones
  2. 2. Should we keep Garoppolo for 2021

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 01:00 AM

24 minutes ago, 49to5er said:

I believe we will draft Mac Jones and do a draft day trade with Jimmy. If we draft Mac I want us to add one more dynamic playmaker. I really think we can win 11-12 games with Mac as our starter this year as long as everyone stays healthy. If Shanny can turn Matt Ryan into an MVP, he can do the same with Mac Jones. Fields will not be the pick, I can almost guarantee you that he doesn't like his throwing motion. Simms and John Beck have both mentioned throwing motion, I think there is something there. Lance can really be a star but Mac is ready to play Week 1. Use the additional 20 Million saved from not having Jimmy and add a couple starters on 1 year contracts. Imagine adding Steven Nelson and Melvin Ingram to this defense, on 1 year non-committal deals... I think we will be loaded going into week 1. Everyone is going to love Mac Jones when he is distributing the ball to Kittle, Deebo and Yuk. We don't need a running qb, just get the ball out quick and into the hands of our dogs. At first I wanted Lance or Fields but I have warmed up to Jones. I'll bet money that week 1 mac jones is better than Jimmy. 

Remember, the 1st year that Shanny and Matt Ryan had together, the Falcons went 6-10 and Ryan was averaging an interception a game. Even if the niners take Mac, they shouldn't be so quick on getting rid of Jimmy. 

Just now, XScutterX said:

Remember, the 1st year that Shanny and Matt Ryan had together, the Falcons went 6-10 and Ryan was averaging an interception a game. Even if the niners take Mac, they shouldn't be so quick on getting rid of Jimmy. 

Meh I don't expect them to get rid of Jimmy because I do fully expect them to want more then what teams are willing to pay. But to me Mac has already reached his ceiling, his floor is his ceiling. Might as well start him. 

1 minute ago, XScutterX said:

Perhaps not, though we also know the rookie had better be ready to go when Jimmy can't. Note I said 'when' and not 'if'. It seems inevitable now that at some point, he will be hurt. One of the many reasons I can move on from him.

Anyone else wonder what Shanny could have done with Alex Smith had we kept him instead of Kaep? I may be the only one...but it really is a moot point anyway. 

1 minute ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Perhaps not, though we also know the rookie had better be ready to go when Jimmy can't. Note I said 'when' and not 'if'. It seems inevitable now that at some point, he will be hurt. One of the many reasons I can move on from him.

Anyone else wonder what Shanny could have done with Alex Smith had we kept him instead of Kaep? I may be the only one...but it really is a moot point anyway. 

The only thing I think is that Kyle would have kept Alex if he were the QB here when Kyle was hired. I don't think we do the Hoyer / Beathard / Barkley experiment in that situation. 

In terms of effectiveness, I do believe that it would have been an effective offense regardless of whether or not it was Smith or Kaep just because I have a very high opinion of Shanny as an offensive mind and we have seen him create a highly productive offense regardless of the QB type. 

IF we take Mac, for 3 1st's, i won't be satisfied unless its 2016 Matt Ryan or Drew Brees. 

Regardless, it'll still hurt if Watson/Lance end up being Watson/Allen 2.0, no matter what we do 

Its just baffling to me that Shanny talks up elite physical traits and then wouldn't target a player with any of those. 

2 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Agreed 100%, one of the reasons they made this move was because Jimmy is hardly available. Whoever they draft, Mac included, should be nothing but an expensive backup at the start of the season. 

Much of the offense is rhythm and timing. Taking the snap under center, doing the drop, and getting the ball out. Mac is going to have a decent amount to learn when he took less than 2% of his snaps from center. Not only does he have to learn how to do the drops added with the timing, he has to learn a new way to use play action that he never did before. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, XScutterX said:

If he can turn Matt Ryan into an MVP imagine what he could do with a QB way more physically gifted than him, or than Mac Jones!

15 minutes ago, XScutterX said:

Agreed 100%, one of the reasons they made this move was because Jimmy is hardly available. Whoever they draft, Mac included, should be nothing but an expensive backup at the start of the season. 

Much of the offense is rhythm and timing. Taking the snap under center, doing the drop, and getting the ball out. Mac is going to have a decent amount to learn when he took less than 2% of his snaps from center. Not only does he have to learn how to do the drops added with the timing, he has to learn a new way to use play action that he never did before. 

Snap; drop; throw. Steve Young used to go on and on about how Walsh would make him practice his drop back over and over until he was sick of doing - and until it improved his timing to the point where he became a great QB. I think I've heard him say it became so automatic that he could probably complete a pass blindfolded. These kinds of things can be learned with the right coach and a willing student.

Edited by big9erfan
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

I have a very high opinion of Shanny as an offensive mind and we have seen him create a highly productive offense regardless of the QB type. 

This is so wrong, you ignorant SOB. Kyle only likes one type of QB. There are only two QBs in the entire world who fit Kyles offense to a T. Kirk Cousins and Michael Mccorkle Jones. Thats it, thats the list.

They are the only two people in the history of existence who could possibly learn this offense by doing exactly what they are told. No one else could possibly ever learn to do it exactly the way kyle wants. That is too hard of a skill for us to teach anyone. You are either born being able to play in this offense, or you have no chance at doing it. There is no in between. Its why we laughed at everyone else when no one drafted noodle arm nick mullens and when CJ Beathard fell to the third round. Both of those guys are so naturally gifted at football, its like Kyle created them in a laboratory specifically for his offense. 

Its why we HAD to trade up so much to go get Mccorkle. He is the last person that will ever be born that could ever hope to play QB for Kyle. We couldnt let him get drafted by someone else. No sir. Thankfully it was only 2 future firsts and a future third. Whew. What a steal for literally the last QB on earth. How lucky are we?  

11 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Snap; drop; throw. Steve Young used to go on and on about how Walsh would make him practice his drop back over and over until he was sick of doing - and until it improved his timing to the point where he became a great QB. I think I've heard him say it became so automatic that he could probably complete a pass blindfolded. These kinds of things can be learned with the right coach and a willing student.

Yup. It was part of the process of getting Steve to pass more and run less. 

1 minute ago, N4L said:

This is so wrong, you ignorant SOB. Kyle only likes one type of QB. There are only two QBs in the entire world who fit Kyles offense to a T. Kirk Cousins and Michael Mccorkle Jones. Thats it, thats the list.

They are the only two people in the history of existence who could possibly learn this offense by doing exactly what they are told. No one else could possibly ever learn to do it exactly the way kyle wants. That is too hard of a skill for us to teach anyone. You are either born being able to play in this offense, or you have no chance at doing it. There is no in between. Its why we laughed at everyone else when no one drafted noodle arm nick mullens and when CJ Beathard fell to the third round. Both of those guys are so naturally gifted at football, its like Kyle created them in a laboratory specifically for his offense. 

Its why we HAD to trade up so much to go get Mccorkle. He is the last person that will ever be born that could ever hope to play QB for Kyle. We couldnt let him get drafted by someone else. No sir. Thankfully it was only 2 future firsts and a future third. Whew. What a steal for literally the last QB on earth. How lucky are we?  

😏

7 minutes ago, N4L said:

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886qnpfslsazfwgitnnps

• Like 1

I just heard a rumor that Mac Jones is really Kirk Cousins son. Apparently Kyles mom had an affair with kirk, so not only is he genetically equal to 50% of the greatest quarterback of all time, but hes also Kyles half brother. Wow! That explains it. 

I think we should leave Jimmy’s money out of this thought process for moving on from him. I think that money is already spoken for. We have to extend Bosa and All-Pro Fred both in the next two years. That takes up that money and more.

1 minute ago, N4L said:

I just heard a rumor that Mac Jones is really Kirk Cousins son. Apparently Kyles mom had an affair with kirk, so not only is he genetically equal to 50% of the greatest quarterback of all time, but hes also Kyles half brother. Wow! That explains it. 

Daaaaang, Kirk was hammering home kids at 9 years old. Legend!

• Like 2