Rhetorical: If Packers were offered a first round pick for Jordan Love, should they take it?

HeresAGuy

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Sure, I'm OK to say the Pats. You're talking about the greatest team of the 2000s.

Anyway, the Packers know what they're doing, there was no point in having Love be the #2 last year when Boyle was far more experienced in the offense.

It is all a moot point anyway. If Rodgers got hurt early in the year, or mid season, we may have seen Love for an extended period of time, we just don't know. But to go week to week with Rodgers healthy and playing MVP level, I understand Boyle being a safer option to get us out of a game. 

5 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

What I respect is @Blue can take off the cheese shades and look at this without clear bias. 

If his point was actually valid, sure. Whether Love is the GOAT or a total bust who never starts one game, the fact that we had Boyle as our backup last year won't have any bearing in that outcome.

4 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

He wasn't capable of running the offense better than Tim Boyle, sure. I don't see why that is such a big issue to you. Once again he was drafted with the intent of having at least 1 season on the bench learning, I don't think you can argue that.

I can argue that four months is more than enough time for him to learn the playbook, that his athletic ability alone makes him a better bet to get you out of a game than Tim Boyle, and the best way to develop him is to give him reps and have him prepping for game day like he could go into the game at any moment.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Sure, I'm OK to say the Pats. You're talking about the greatest team of the 2000s.

Anyway, the Packers know what they're doing, there was no point in having Love be the #2 last year when Boyle was far more experienced in the offense.

Tim Boyle was a third-year pro out of Eastern Kentucky! The **** do you think Tim Boyle was gonna do if he had to go into a game? He's not changing up protections at the line. He's not running the full offense like he's Aaron Rodgers. He's handing the ball off to one of the deepest backfields in the league and praying he doesn't have to throw a pass over five yards.

I just don't get this blind faith in a guy with four career pass attempts and one of the most atrocious college stat lines you're ever going to see.

9 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

If his point was actually valid, sure. Whether Love is the GOAT or a total bust who never starts one game, the fact that we had Boyle as our backup last year won't have any bearing in that outcome.

I'm not even saying Love is a bust though. I'm saying that him failing to earn the backup job over Tim Boyle is at best a neutral effect on his value in a trade, and given his draft position last year, his value wasn't very high to begin with.

Edited by Blue
best not worst lol
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Blue said:

I can argue that four months is more than enough time for him to learn the playbook, that his athletic ability alone makes him a better bet to get you out of a game than Tim Boyle, and the best way to develop him is to give him reps and have him prepping for game day like he could go into the game at any moment.

Tim Boyle was a third-year pro out of Eastern Kentucky! The **** do you think Tim Boyle was gonna do if he had to go into a game? He's not changing up protections at the line. He's not running the full offense like he's Aaron Rodgers. He's handing the ball off to one of the deepest backfields in the league and praying he doesn't have to throw a pass over five yards.

I just don't get this blind faith in a guy with four career pass attempts and one of the most atrocious college stat lines you're ever going to see.

Just showing your ignorance to the situation. Boyle was great in preseason the last two years. So good we cut Kizer, who we invested a lot in via trade. He also signed like a 1/3 deal I think immediately in FA with Detroit. The hell cares about his college stat line or school? Guy is an NFL caliber backup.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Blue said:
12 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

He wasn't capable of running the offense better than Tim Boyle, sure. I don't see why that is such a big issue to you. Once again he was drafted with the intent of having at least 1 season on the bench learning, I don't think you can argue that.

Maybe I shouldn't have said you can't argue it, but you could appreciate it. I truly think Love is in a unique situation this past season. I personally don't like him, but I won't deny his ceiling. I just don't feel that it is concerning that he was QB3 this past season based on our roster and what Love was as a prospect

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Just showing your ignorance to the situation. Boyle was great in preseason the last two years. So good we cut Kizer, who we invested a lot in via trade. He also signed like a 1/3 deal I think immediately in FA with Detroit. The hell cares about his college stat line or school? Guy is an NFL caliber backup.

Who cares! It's preseason! Kizer got cut because he sucks! LOL

The fact Boyle had a strong market immediately when FA opened should tell you what the league views him as.

He got $2.5 million! He is making the same money as Jeff Driskel and a half million more than incredible talents as Nate Sudfeld and Matt Barkley. On a one-year deal! That is nothing money for a backup quarterback.

Just now, Blue said:

He got $2.5 million! He is making the same money as Jeff Driskel and a half million more than incredible talents as Nate Sudfeld and Matt Barkley. On a one-year deal! That is nothing money for a backup quarterback.

All those guys you listed are vet backup QBs.....so not sure what you're getting at?

If we had any of those QBs on our roster instead of Boyle, they would've been the backup QB because we were redshirting Jordan Love.

The beat writers had a lot of fun with Boyle in the offseason, calling him the "Tim Boyle Laser Show" because he was throwing ropes.
And here's a comment from an NFC North scout and personnel guys via The Athletic:

"Opponents haven’t seen much of Boyle since his 109 snaps in the 2019 exhibition season, but they seem to really like him nonetheless. For two years, personnel from the NFC North have been singing his praises despite the small sample size.

“Maybe I’m messed up, but I’m a fan of his,” said one scout. “I like the way he throws the ball. I like his decision-making. Obviously I haven’t seen much in the regular season, but I think the guy has some upside. Everything I’ve seen in the preseason I really like. I think they’re seeing something in the guy, too. I think they feel comfortable with him in the offense if he had to go in there. He’s a really, really interesting guy.”

So now we have Personnel guys and Scouts are singing Boyle's praises...

Boyle was working side-by-side with Rodgers in prepping the offensive game plan, handling audibles and film cutups on the defense each week. Boyle was in year 2 of the system- when both Rodgers and Matt Ryan made their leaps- because they understood the offense at a deeper level. Love had none of that.

Blue continues to spew his ignorance on the topic - and scoundrel gets minus 10,000 points for agreeing with his crappy, unsupported and easily refuted comments.
Now, its time for most of you to run along and find something you do know about - because this ain't it.

• Like 2

All those guys you listed are vet backup QBs.....so not sure what you're getting at?

If we had any of those QBs on our roster instead of Boyle, they would've been the backup QB because we were redshirting Jordan Love.

Oh my god, you really don't understand that those players are terrible and have no business beating out a first round pick on sheer talent alone, do you