Mike Vick In Today's NFL

braylon

Hey guys.. I wouldn't be surprised if this topic has been discussed already in NFL Gen, but I haven't really ventured in here too much in awhile.

My question is pretty simple.. how would Mike Vick fair in today's NFL vs. the one he was drafted into in 2001? Seeing the way QBs with similar skillset to his have been used in the NFL since he has left the league really makes me feel he could've had a special career with the right coach. I mean we got a glimpse of what Mike Vick can do with a coach who tailors to his skillset at all in Andy Reid. He set the NFL on fire in his first year with Reid and then things fizzled out slowly over the next couple of years. However, he was certainly past his prime by this point. Imagine a coach completely tailoring their offense to his skillset like Greg Roman has for Lamar Jackson! I'm significantly higher on Vick than Jackson personally, and Jackson looks like he's going to have a "solid" career at the very worst.

I personally believe he would be a fringe Top 5 QB for a solid decade if he were drafted today by a coach willing to cater to his skillset. Thoughts?

Just now, braylon said:

Hey guys.. I wouldn't be surprised if this topic has been discussed already in NFL Gen, but I haven't really ventured in here too much in awhile.

My question is pretty simple.. how would Mike Vick fair in today's NFL vs. the one he was drafted into in 2001? Seeing the way QBs with similar skillset to his have been used in the NFL since he has left the league really makes me feel he could've had a special career with the right coach. I mean we got a glimpse of what Mike Vick can do with a coach who tailors to his skillset at all in Andy Reid. He set the NFL on fire in his first year with Reid and then things fizzled out slowly over the next couple of years. However, he was certainly past his prime by this point. Imagine a coach completely tailoring their offense to his skillset like Greg Roman has for Lamar Jackson! I'm significantly higher on Vick than Jackson personally, and Jackson looks like he's going to have a "solid" career at the very worst.

I personally believe he would be a fringe Top 5 QB for a solid decade if he were drafted today by a coach willing to cater to his skillset. Thoughts?

He still would have sucked. He never put the work in until his prison sentence and then it was too late. In today's NFL, he would have been hit with multiple suspensions early in his career and might have been never given a real shot. 

Talking on-field, he might have had some more success had he just done what he was supposed to do off the field. Without Michael Vick, today's QBs don't have schemes built around them the way he does.

• Like 4

If utilized correctly in a spread type system with a ground and pound zone read type game, I could see him having a similar career arc to Lamar Jackson early on. The plateau factor would have been similar, especially given his injuries and off the field stuff.

7 minutes ago, scar988 said:

He still would have sucked. He never put the work in until his prison sentence and then it was too late. In today's NFL, he would have been hit with multiple suspensions early in his career and might have been never given a real shot. 

Talking on-field, he might have had some more success had he just done what he was supposed to do off the field. Without Michael Vick, today's QBs don't have schemes built around them the way he does.

Yeah, the laziness/off the field factor is something I knew would come up but I didn't exactly know how to address it in my original post. 

But, he didn't suck lol. I mean he was nowhere near a great passer, but he he was a playmaker, he finished with a quarterback rating of over 80 for his career, 7ypa, a winning record for his career, an NFC Championship appearance, and he was arguably the most prolific running QB of all time (really it's not even arguable IMO). So yes, he still would've been lazy, but he was THAT talented. He had success in his career.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, scar988 said:

Major props to him for the work he put in after his prison sentence though. He wasn't the terrier on the ground like he was before his sentence, but he did hit a career high in rushing TD's and became a better passer which earned him a Pro Bowl.

well Vick had a cannon

his issue was accuracy imo

still think he would be just like Lamar in todays NFL, with QBs getting more calls, and hit less, he would be able to take advantage of that and run for more yards like Lamar has

im not a Falcons fan but i feel like they tried to "fit" him into a throwing offense more so than Lamar has had to deal with, imo Vick was a better passer, but thats judging his whole career while Lamar has only had 2 real seasons

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scar988 said:

He still would have sucked. He never put the work in until his prison sentence and then it was too late.

This. Vick was lazy with a massively inflated ego. I still remember him responding to criticism of his passing after some game against a very awful Lions team where he managed to throw for 3 TD's. He was acting like he just tore up the '85 Bears.

Lamar Jackson has his faults as a passer, but the guy actually works at his craft and continues to grow as a result. Vick wouldn't.

• Like 4

Michael Vick had the talent to be a superstar in the league, but it seems like he just didn't have the work ethic/commitment that also need to be present.  He strikes me as a guy who was so supremely talented that he was always able to get by without working all that hard, and he was even able to do that in the NFL.  He just wasn't talented enough to be elite without working his tail off like all the rest of the great ones do.

3 hours ago, MWil23 said:

If utilized correctly in a spread type system with a ground and pound zone read type game, I could see him having a similar career arc to Lamar Jackson early on. The plateau factor would have been similar, especially given his injuries and off the field stuff.

How exactly do you know if Lamar has plateaued?

2 hours ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

well Vick had a cannon

his issue was accuracy imo

still think he would be just like Lamar in todays NFL, with QBs getting more calls, and hit less, he would be able to take advantage of that and run for more yards like Lamar has

im not a Falcons fan but i feel like they tried to "fit" him into a throwing offense more so than Lamar has had to deal with, imo Vick was a better passer, but thats judging his whole career while Lamar has only had 2 real seasons

A better passer? Lamars first two seasons in the league he has pretty much better stats in pretty much any quarterback metric than Vick had in his entire career. Lamar is a superior player and I am willing to bet that even Vick himself would agree..

2 minutes ago, Letsch80 said:

A better passer? Lamars first two seasons in the league he has pretty much better stats in pretty much any quarterback metric than Vick had in his entire career. Lamar is a superior player and I am willing to bet that even Vick himself would agree..

Vick has said plenty of times that Lamar is a better player, thrower, and works hard in all the ways Vick didn't

4 minutes ago, Letsch80 said:

imo you have to account for the rule changes in the Offenses favor, which lead to in an increase in QB stats

im just saying in my opinion , as of this second i personally believe Vick was a better passer (mostly based off of that 1 season he had in Philly)

but, if Lamar has another season like he did his 1st year as a starter then id be inclined to lean Lamar

Edited by BucsDraftGeek47

30 minutes ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

imo you have to account for the rule changes in the Offenses favor, which lead to in an increase in QB stats

im just saying in my opinion , as of this second i personally believe Vick was a better passer (mostly based off of that 1 season he had in Philly)

but, if Lamar has another season like he did his 1st year as a starter then id be inclined to lean Lamar

I mean I see your point to a certain extent but even last year Lamar still had a better passing season than Vick ever did. 

Edited by Letsch80

I’d rather see Jackson and these guys doing something like Kyle Shanahan was doing with RG3 or Lincoln Riley is doing now at Oklahoma. But I love the topic and think about what the early 2000s would have looked like with today’s playcalling. 

With Vick. I think he probably would have had more MVP caliber seasons like that 2010 season in Philly. But he still probably would have been injured a lot because he doesn’t avoid the big hits like Jackson.

I think Steve McNair would terrorize the league in a modern offense.

• Like 1