Mike Vick In Today's NFL

braylon

1 hour ago, Letsch80 said:

How exactly do you know if Lamar has plateaued?

I was speaking of Vick dude 😂 

Context of what I said with injuries and off the field above here:

4 hours ago, MWil23 said:

The plateau factor would have been similar, especially given his injuries and off the field stuff.

Similar in that Vick still would have plateaued regardless of the system today.

Vick was a highlight reel player who had a revolutionary effect on how people viewed the QB position.

That being said, he was a flawed prototype.   He showed how dynamic the QB position COULD be, but never really panned out.   Not to say he was a bust, but he wasnt really a resounding success either.

• Like 1

If Mike Vick had the same offensive system backing players like Jackson, Murray, Watson, ect ect have now--he would have been great.

Vicks biggest on-field downfall was the Falcons never embraced him or his style. He was running a drop back and pass offense when clearly there were about 500 better ways to use his skillset. Imagine if Andy Reid coached Mike Vick before he was 30 years old.

He was before his time but at the same time he helped paved the way for those same style QBs to be successful today. Vick was like the vol. 1 prototype that was a great idea but faulty until vol.2 and vol.3 got released years later and perfected.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

I think he’d be better. NFL OC’s are much better at playing to the strengths of guys like Vick, who is king of the scrambling QB’s, even to this day. I would be curious to see what NFL teams did with him. Do you protect him from his accuracy issues and go Baltimore Ravens with him? Or do you lean into the spread offense and go 4-5 wide most of the time?

On 4/8/2021 at 4:48 PM, CKSteeler said:

This. Vick was lazy with a massively inflated ego. I still remember him responding to criticism of his passing after some game against a very awful Lions team where he managed to throw for 3 TD's. He was acting like he just tore up the '85 Bears.

Lamar Jackson has his faults as a passer, but the guy actually works at his craft and continues to grow as a result. Vick wouldn't.

This is the key. Are we just assuming we get a VIck who is incredibly motivated and mature from his early 20's?

Then yea... obviously with his talent, he'd be a very top player in the league.

2 hours ago, Landog3 said:

Mike Vick is one of the most overrated players ive ever seen. Insane athlete that could run as a QB, but he was not good at all in my opinion. Look at his numbers. Not impressive. 

I agree he was overrated, but he was certainly a good player despite his flaws as a passer.

I think another big question is what if he never got suspended?