The Car Thread

Dome

23 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

You get a like for the effort, and because I’m too lazy/drunk to dispute.

You get a like for your drunken laziness.

some are still awful, but some are really awesome now, and within 5 years it’ll be silly to have a non-hybrid/electric

Sure some are, usually at the higher price points comparatively.

Im excited to see what they can come up with though. Make a better product for a comparable price and I’m all in.

Edited by LETSGOBROWNIES
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

You get a like for your drunken laziness.

Sure some are, usually at the higher price points comparatively.

Im excited to see what they can come up with though. Make a better product for a comparable price and I’m all in.

Yeah the good ones are definitely on the pricey side. 

On 12/12/2018 at 9:24 PM, Heimdallr said:

some are still awful, but some are really awesome now, and within 5 years it’ll be silly to have a non-hybrid/electric

Ew, no. I realize the efficiency, but the cost to get them worked on when something fails is absurd when anything with a desiel I can still handle myself as of right now. In the terms of long run, I still find it cheaper not going that route.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

With all the “sales” at this time of the year, is this actually a good time to buy a car or is it just marketing BS? 

I've actually heard these are pretty legit - end of November and December, dealerships are trying to get their lots freed up for 2019 models, because there's a higher commission for the new models and the commission for older models drops drastically once the new year comes around. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I've actually heard these are pretty legit - end of November and December, dealerships are trying to get their lots freed up for 2019 models, because there's a higher commission for the new models and the commission for older models drops drastically once the new year comes around. 

It’s Less about the commission. It’s a lot harder to sell a new 2018 when there’s a new 2019 sitting right next to it. The longer a car sits, the more it costs, so they want to get rid of it as fast as possible.

Most dealerships give bonuses to get rid of the older cars, so the sales and finance people actually make a better commission on a less profitable deal. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

With all the “sales” at this time of the year, is this actually a good time to buy a car or is it just marketing BS? 

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

1 hour ago, MrDrew said:

It’s Less about the commission. It’s a lot harder to sell a new 2018 when there’s a new 2019 sitting right next to it. The longer a car sits, the more it costs, so they want to get rid of it as fast as possible.

Most dealerships give bonuses to get rid of the older cars, so the sales and finance people actually make a better commission on a less profitable deal. 

Worked at a dealership for a while when I was younger and @MrDrew nailed it.

This is a FANTASTIC time to buy if you’re not particularly choosey about color, specific option packages, etc.  

You won’t be able to walk onto a lot and option everything exactly as you like and still get a great deal (unless you just get lucky and they have what you want), but if you’re willing to take one of the last previous model year vehicles from them they’ll likely make it worth your while.

This can be especially true if they’ve redesigned the vehicle for the new model year.

• Like 2