The Car Thread

Dome

1 hour ago, Tugboat said:

I mean, if we're being honest...you can tow more than the truck is rated to pull.  Just like you said...don't bother trying to drive fast along the way.  The rated towing is just...a number.  But also, i believe America is trickier when it comes to pulling over-weight across State lines?  I don't actually know.

I don't know squat about the passenger GCVWR stuff in the US though, where so much as i understand...you can get in some real trouble if the numbers don't line up right.  But that's more for HD trucks and biggun' trailers, where they start to collide with commercial vehicles.  Real Duty Towing.  Guaranteed i'd have broken some bylaws in some state with GCVWR laws by now if i lived in the authoritarian states of America.

Pretty sure nobody concerned about a UHaul is going to be in that territory though.  I don't think they rent a trailer anywhere big enough, do they?

You can definitely get more out of truck than the listing. They pulled a Space Shuttle with a Tundra once. The thing is that inexperience, and being over the rated weight, is the recipe for a disaster. It's hard enough when you're near the limit in a truck without a lot of power. I wouldn't go over unless you've done a lot of towing, and know how the specific vehicle you're towing with reacts under a heavy load.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MrDrew said:

You can definitely get more out of truck than the listing. They pulled a Space Shuttle with a Tundra once. The thing is that inexperience, and being over the rated weight, is the recipe for a disaster. It's hard enough when you're near the limit in a truck without a lot of power. I wouldn't go over unless you've done a lot of towing, and know how the specific vehicle you're towing with reacts under a heavy load.

Heh.  I haven't quite pulled a space shuttle with a Tundra, but i've certainly towed way more than the "rating" with one.

But yeah.  Abso-tively, positutely...if you're already nervous about towing, you probably don't want to be anywhere near your vehicle's max even.

That's always the question.  What you can get moving...vs...what you can actually control once it's moving.  What sort of brakes do you have?  How much does the tow vehicle weigh to give you more stability?

It's a dang UHaul though...

The biggest questions are if they've got a light hookup, and if they've got a hitch that can support whatever UHaul they're yanking.

From there...it's absolutely just..Drive carefully.  Drive proactively.  Don't expect to be in a race to where you're going.

3 hours ago, MrDrew said:

I want one, but I'm stuck with a GTI.

I had to drive to Chicago-land for it, but found a screaming deal I couldn't pass up. Had been looking at a variety of AWD hatches, crossovers and small SUVs. This was #1 on my list, so I'm glad I pulled the trigger. It was a certified pre-owned and I opted for the additional 6 yrs 75k bumper to bumper warranty, so it's covered past 100k now which is a slick deal IMO.

2 hours ago, Tugboat said:

That is...absolutely alarming.  Mazda 3s have like, single piston rear brakes right?  Did they install the pads...inside-out or something?  Messed up.  How could you even mis-install something like that?

Wild that the only adverse effect of that, was some rattling tbh.

Installing brake pads the right way is like...dude, read the ******* label even, or google it at worst.  Crazy that anyone would charge you for that, while doing it wrong somehow.

I'm just shocked a rattling sound was the only issue in having them flipped.  I suppose Mazda 3 rear brake pads are pretty similar enough they work when installed incorrectly?  I don't know if that's impressive, or terrible.

Yeah, I've heard it's stupid easy and want to learn but it's winter here and I don't have the necessary equipment so I took the convenient route. The guy at the shop told me this person has been fired but whatever. I'm worried about the possible repercussions that are going to happen as a result although the guys who fixed it said everything looks OK. The original place didn't even bring up compensation for this (even though they don't necessarily have to believe me) so I'm just taking my business elsewhere. I just need to learn on doing the basics for my car TBH. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I had to drive to Chicago-land for it, but found a screaming deal I couldn't pass up. Had been looking at a variety of AWD hatches, crossovers and small SUVs. This was #1 on my list, so I'm glad I pulled the trigger. It was a certified pre-owned and I opted for the additional 6 yrs 75k bumper to bumper warranty, so it's covered past 100k now which is a slick deal IMO.

As a 2x VW owner, getting a warranty past 100k is a great idea. Probably even better than buying new.

I play disc golf with a guy that traded in a tuned WRX for a Golf R, and he couldn't be happier. It's close to the same performance as the STi, and Evo, but it does it all in grownup comfort. The DSG is a lot of fun to play with, and lets you be lazy in traffic too. Now I have to go work on my MKV GTI...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MrDrew said:

Just make sure you check weights. Don't pull more than the truck says it can, and don't bother trying to drive fast along the way.

What kind of truck, and how big of a trailer?

I have a 2008 Chevy Colorado extended cab 4x4 with the 2.9L I4

The trailer wouldn't be big. I thought about just renting their 4x8 or 5x8 trailer. The biggest single axle or smallest double axle.

5 hours ago, MrDrew said:

I wouldn't go over unless you've done a lot of towing, and know how the specific vehicle you're towing with reacts under a heavy load.

yeah and I'd make sure the trailer is properly loaded with the heavier stuff up front, closest to the truck.
People get into more trouble with sway than actual over-load when towing

6 hours ago, MrDrew said:

As a 2x VW owner, getting a warranty past 100k is a great idea. Probably even better than buying new.

I play disc golf with a guy that traded in a tuned WRX for a Golf R, and he couldn't be happier. It's close to the same performance as the STi, and Evo, but it does it all in grownup comfort. The DSG is a lot of fun to play with, and lets you be lazy in traffic too. Now I have to go work on my MKV GTI...

I was actually kinda shocked at how reasonable their certified pre-owned warranty was, was a no-brainer for me. My buddy at work has a new WRX STi as well, I'm gonna let him take mine for a spin one of these days, I definitely prefer the overall package of the Golf to his WRX. I've been researching tunes for the R, but am very gun-shy of a potential warranty debate should anything ever go wrong - and I'm not that much of a gear-head anyway so I probably won't end up pulling that trigger unless I got some sort of assurance from my local dealership or something. Also snagged a barely used set of winter wheel/tires on craigslist today for it. Guy only wanted $450 for the whole set ($1300+ on tirerack) so I was stoked. The 19" wheels on there currently make me a little nervous with all these damn pot-holes in the winter, so I'll run on the 17's until it warms up.

Sure is fun to buzz around on curvy country roads though :)

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Owned one before. Liked it a lot, but looking for something different.

Check out the Buick Regal in Avenir trim. Almost none on the road compared to Accord/Camry/Altima/Kia, 250 hp, and I think they look good (In Avenir or GS trim). Can also get AWD. Buick lease deals suck, but if you're looking to buy you can get good deals. You can almost always find smoking deals on infiniti Q50's if you want to lease, including the red sport.

Image result for buick regal avenir

Edited by Jeezla

9 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Check out the Buick Regal in Avenir trim. Almost none on the road compared to Accord/Camry/Altima/Kia, 250 hp, and I think they look good (In Avenir or GS trim). Can also get AWD.

Image result for buick regal avenir

Is that a 4cyl engine? I'm trying to stick with V6 and above - both the Camry and Maxima come with V6 trims with 300hp. I THINK the Accord comes in a V6 trim, not sure. The Infiniti G50 Red Sport has a Twin Turbo V6 that pushes out a filthy 400 HP with AWD, but the basic upkeep on Infiniti's is too expensive for my liking (it requires Premium fuel, I'm not trying to pay that). I loved my G35 back in the say, but I'm not interested in paying extra to avoid engine knock.

The Genesis line is really intriguing, but I'm not wanting to drop $65+k on it. Used is an option, but that's still $45k for a we'll equipped G80. The Kia Stinger has an AWD with a 365 hp twin turbo V6, but starting at $55k? No thanks.

I'll start sharing some examples of what I'm looking for soon.

10 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Is that a 4cyl engine? I'm trying to stick with V6 and above - both the Camry and Maxima come with V6 trims with 300hp. I THINK the Accord comes in a V6 trim, not sure. The Infiniti G50 Red Sport has a Twin Turbo V6 that pushes out a filthy 400 HP with AWD, but the basic upkeep on Infiniti's is too expensive for my liking (it requires Premium fuel, I'm not trying to pay that). I loved my G35 back in the say, but I'm not interested in paying extra to avoid engine knock.

The Genesis line is really intriguing, but I'm not wanting to drop $65+k on it. Used is an option, but that's still $45k for a we'll equipped G80.

It's a 4. You can get a naturally aspirated V6 with the Regal GS. The infiniti finance deals are hard to beat, but it's outdated, especially the infotainment. Same goes for Lexus is300's, but they don't lease nearly as well as infiniti. 

If MPG's aren't a worry, find a 2016/2017 chevy SS. They get 21 mpg hwy though, but they are so sick.

This is the Regal GS with the V6

Image result for buick regal gs

It's also a hatchback

Edited by Jeezla
  • Like 1