The Car Thread

Dome

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/22/2021 at 12:00 AM, BayRaider said:

The new Kia EV6 looks badass. Easily my second favorite electric car behind the Model S. (Not a fan of the Model 3 and Model X).

The Hyundai Ioniq 5 (releasing this fall) also looks awesome. 

The next couple years are going to be nuts with EV cars

21 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Anyone have their car shoot up in value….? I bought a 2017 Kia Optima brand new for 20k, it was worth like 8k 6 months ago and now it’s worth 15.5k…. what in the god damn world. 

It's the semiconductor shortage. They can't make new cars without them, so people that would have normally bought new are buying used. Now used values are jumping, there's not as good of deals on any new cars that are left.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
15 hours ago, bigbadbuff said:

@scar988 how did you like doing F&I in the dealership? 

I’ve been selling for just over 2 years now, and I just had the head finance director from another dealer group in my area reach out to me. (A buddy of mine had him give me a call).

F&I i n a dealership was awesome. I was single when I was doing it so the time requirements weren't an issue, but the minute I met my wife, I leveraged that experience almost instantly into a role at a bank doing finance at the bank for cars. But as far as the selling warranties and the selling gaps and getting people into the right terms and getting deals funding done aspect of the job, it was an amazing job. I'd highly recommend doing it if you have the opportunity to do so. There is a learning curve, because right now, you don't know what you don't know, but it's fun. That's for sure.

On 6/3/2021 at 1:35 PM, BayRaider said:

Anyone have their car shoot up in value….? I bought a 2017 Kia Optima brand new for 20k, it was worth like 8k 6 months ago and now it’s worth 15.5k…. what in the god damn world. 

The market jumped like crazy because of the new car shortage.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

@scar988 I pre-ordered my new car last week. I got it all priced out and everything; is it better to take that total price and try to find a bank for financing before I pick it up in the fall, or is financing through the dealership a better option?

It really just depends. I always recommend for people to get a pre-approval at their current bank or credit union and have the interest rate already in mind. Then if they say they can beat the rate, double check all paperwork before letting them have the attempt at doing so. Also see if your bank, insurance company or credit union can offer things like GAP or Warranties. We offer those at our credit union and we sell them for around half the price I was selling them for at the dealerships.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, scar988 said:

F&I i n a dealership was awesome. I was single when I was doing it so the time requirements weren't an issue, but the minute I met my wife, I leveraged that experience almost instantly into a role at a bank doing finance at the bank for cars. But as far as the selling warranties and the selling gaps and getting people into the right terms and getting deals funding done aspect of the job, it was an amazing job. I'd highly recommend doing it if you have the opportunity to do so. There is a learning curve, because right now, you don't know what you don't know, but it's fun. That's for sure.

I have a meeting setup to go over an F&I position. 

Im excited to hear more about it, but I’ve really caught a groove these last couple of months selling. I sold 22, and 25 in April and May and I’m going to deliver out at at least 27 this month. Don’t want to ruin a good thing. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bigbadbuff said:

I have a meeting setup to go over an F&I position. 

Im excited to hear more about it, but I’ve really caught a groove these last couple of months selling. I sold 22, and 25 in April and May and I’m going to deliver out at at least 27 this month. Don’t want to ruin a good thing. 

It's not really ruining a good thing.

On 5/21/2021 at 10:00 PM, BayRaider said:

The new Kia EV6 looks badass. Easily my second favorite electric car behind the Model S. (Not a fan of the Model 3 and Model X).

Holy hell, I like it. I've been looking around; I figure to buy my next car, electric, in the next 12 months. I have to set up my taxes to take advantage of the tax credit, so it may not be until January

6 hours ago, Forge said:

Holy hell, I like it. I've been looking around; I figure to buy my next car, electric, in the next 12 months. I have to set up my taxes to take advantage of the tax credit, so it may not be until January

I just Googled it - it's really nice. Have to add this to my list for sure.

I saw a Mustang Mach-E on the road yesterday too, and I'm surprised I didn't completely hate it. A Mustang SUV is basically sacrilege... but I didn't hate it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

I just Googled it - it's really nice. Have to add this to my list for sure.

I saw a Mustang Mach-E on the road yesterday too, and I'm surprised I didn't completely hate it. A Mustang SUV is basically sacrilege... but I didn't hate it.

The Mach e has been my top choice most recently, but I was keeping my options open. I wanted to see what the polestar did with this year's crop as well and the Hyundai Kona electric was going to be my cheaper base option.

On 7/5/2021 at 6:48 AM, ET80 said:

A Mustang SUV is basically sacrilege...

Calling it an SUV isn't any different. It's a tall, top-heavy, slop-roofed, hatchback. That takes away the entire point of the hatch. You probably lose 20+ miles of range to the extra weight that makes it taller, and then the wind resistance from being taller. It's a terrible idea that they're selling because of buzzwords like "Mustang", and "SUV".

• Like 2