The Car Thread

Dome

4 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

I meant fake as in the number is massaged. The goal for many years was to "get to invoice" pricing. So a while back, manufactures and dealers started raising the invoice price to compensate. 

Based on my understanding of the history of the car market - this changed over happened in the the 90's/early 00's. 

More than likely that change did.

But it's been a long time since. I'd love to do tik tok videos on buying cars. I think they'd be useful.

• Like 1

Are there any Nissan SUV drivers in here? I've never drove one before but I love the Rogue redesigns. I will be picking up a new car next year, just not sure which one yet. I've been a Mazda loyalist since my 3 b/c I absolutely love the way it drives and my wife's old 5 was awesome as well but them not having touchscreens really turns me off. Read a lot about Nissan's noisy and slow transmission but am curious here what anyone thinks. Is it worse than Tiguan's? My wife's car now is insanely noisy. From what I've read, the new Rogue and '19 Tiguan has comparable giddy-up and I don't think my wife's car is that slow at all. 

Always said I'd never get a Hyundai either but those new Tuscon's look good. Not into test driving until I'm serious about buying one b/c I don't like dealerships at all.

30 minutes ago, scar988 said:

More than likely that change did.

But it's been a long time since. I'd love to do tik tok videos on buying cars. I think they'd be useful.

If you do youtube, id watch. I refuse tiktok as a service for 13 year old girls. 

Yes, I know thats dumb and I dont mean it. I just wanted to further the stereotype!

23 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Are there any Nissan SUV drivers in here? I've never drove one before but I love the Rogue redesigns. I will be picking up a new car next year, just not sure which one yet. I've been a Mazda loyalist since my 3 b/c I absolutely love the way it drives and my wife's old 5 was awesome as well but them not having touchscreens really turns me off. Read a lot about Nissan's noisy and slow transmission but am curious here what anyone thinks. Is it worse than Tiguan's? My wife's car now is insanely noisy. From what I've read, the new Rogue and '19 Tiguan has comparable giddy-up and I don't think my wife's car is that slow at all. 

Always said I'd never get a Hyundai either but those new Tuscon's look good. Not into test driving until I'm serious about buying one b/c I don't like dealerships at all.

I had a nissan rental for a week and enjoyed it. I think it was the Murano though. 

As for the Tiguan - have you checked online if they put crappy tires on them? A lot of times road noise is linked to tire selection. Just a thought. 

Edited by Matts4313

23 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I used to sell Nissans, and since the redesigns in 2014, the gettyup in it is just like an Altima's is. It may seem a bit underpowered at times, but it does just fine. The transmission isn't really noisy and it's definitely not slow. It's just unfamiliar. The car doesn't feel like it shifts so it feels slower than it would, but you're actually going faster. The Rogues are excellent vehicles. And they've only gotten better over time.

Hyundai's are great now. Pre-2010, they were garbage, but since that whole 2010-2011 redesign of the entire brand for both Hyundai and Kia, they're as good as a Honda or a Nissan or a Toyota.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, scar988 said:

I used to sell Nissans, and since the redesigns in 2014, the gettyup in it is just like an Altima's is. It may seem a bit underpowered at times, but it does just fine. The transmission isn't really noisy and it's definitely not slow. It's just unfamiliar. The car doesn't feel like it shifts so it feels slower than it would, but you're actually going faster. The Rogues are excellent vehicles. And they've only gotten better over time.

Hyundai's are great now. Pre-2010, they were garbage, but since that whole 2010-2011 redesign of the entire brand for both Hyundai and Kia, they're as good as a Honda or a Nissan or a Toyota.

This is excellent info. Thank you very much for taking the time to respond. I feel more confident if either are my choice

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

I had a nissan rental for a week and enjoyed it. I think it was the Murano though. 

As for the Tiguan - have you checked online if they put crappy tires on them? A lot of times road noise is linked to tire selection. Just a thought. 

I think they're Michelin tires. She's weird and leases so I'm hoping they don't give her crappy shoes. I'll check next time I go out there. Thanks for the suggestion

For those following along my convo with Drew at home - the Gladiator and Wrangler ordering guides for MY22 just came out. 10% price increase along with the removal of the aforementioned discounts. 

My gamble of buying a truck for a month is looking more and more promising that I wont lose any $$. Still hoping to make a couple bucks in profit as along with getting a free month of a 2021 Ram 1500. 

On 10/8/2021 at 2:32 PM, scar988 said:

You put Nissan on a Honda and Toyota level? Interesting. I mean cost of repairs are very low sure, but idk i don’t see it.

100% agree on the Hyundai/Kia aspect though. I think Kia is the best bang for your buck in the current market. The Forte is awesome for a budget, cheap lease, the K5 is incredible, the Sorento is awesome and the Telluride is the hottest selling SUV in the country. What Kia has become is actually crazy lol. I love their lineup. The Sportage is the only one that hasn’t gotten an update yet and that should be coming next year.

28 minutes ago, bigbadbuff said:

You put Nissan on a Honda and Toyota level? Interesting

I am curious as to what makes vehicles "on Honda or Toyotas leve" nowadays? It used to be reliability, but they are all pretty much great at this point if you compare vehicles by segment (comparing cars to cars; not a Corolla and a Frontier X-Pro offroad). Obviously this affects "most reliable brand" rankings because Asian manufactures focus on cars, while US companies focus on Trucks. European brands seem to focus on breaking while pretending to be fancy (looking at you Jaguar Land Rover), so we will exclude them, haha. 

But specifically when I was considering Toyota trucks this summer,  I was once again shocked at how terrible the value proposition was. 20 year old technology, brake systems older than I am, terrible engines fuel economy wise, worst in performance in most measures. They still sold like hotcakes, tho, so apparently reliability doesnt actually matter. Which brings me back to my question: What does it mean to be on "their level"? 

Edited by Matts4313

25 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

I am curious as to what makes vehicles "on Honda or Toyotas leve" nowadays? It used to be reliability, but they are all pretty much great at this point if you compare vehicles by segment (comparing cars to cars; not a Corolla and a Frontier X-Pro offroad). Obviously this affects "most reliable brand" rankings because Asian manufactures focus on cars, while US companies focus on Trucks. European brands seem to focus on breaking while pretending to be fancy (looking at you Jaguar Land Rover), so we will exclude them, haha. 

But specifically when I was considering Toyota trucks this summer,  I was once again shocked at how terrible the value proposition was. 20 year old technology, brake systems older than I am, terrible engines fuel economy wise, worst in performance in most measures. They still sold like hotcakes, tho, so apparently reliability doesnt actually matter. Which brings me back to my question: What does it mean to be on "their level"? 

I guess i was speaking to more of a resale value. The 2022 Highlander and Tundra upgraded their tech, but to your point previous model years were dated af.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bigbadbuff said:

I guess i was speaking to more of a resale value. The 2022 Highlander and Tundra upgraded their tech, but to your point previous model years were dated af.

Frontier just released their first refresh in 18 (?) years? Tacoma is about to do the same. Complete rebuild. Its great for the consumer!