2021 Broncos Draft Thread

broncosfan_101

3 minutes ago, ClockWorkOrange said:

I got two questions going into tonight and I want your help with the answers... 

In last night's Presser, Paton said he has 8 guys on his board for the second round and we have the 8th pick... So those are some good odds at getting one of those guys:). I am curious who do you all think those 8 guys are that he has on his board?

The second question I can't stop thinking about is that Paton said they were thinking of trading back into the 1st to pick up a player, but that player would have needed to drop into the 20s for it to be a reasonable cost to move up... Who do you think Paton was wanting to trade up for?  I think it was Davis who dropped to 19.  Please help me figure this out as I truly want to know... and I doubt he will every tell us the answer...

Big thanks:)

I wonder if they were intrigued by Zaven Collins?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ClockWorkOrange said:

I got two questions going into tonight and I want your help with the answers... 

In last night's Presser, Paton said he has 8 guys on his board for the second round and we have the 8th pick... So those are some good odds at getting one of those guys:). I am curious who do you all think those 8 guys are that he has on his board?

The second question I can't stop thinking about is that Paton said they were thinking of trading back into the 1st to pick up a player, but that player would have needed to drop into the 20s for it to be a reasonable cost to move up... Who do you think Paton was wanting to trade up for?  I think it was Davis who dropped to 19.  Please help me figure this out as I truly want to know... and I doubt he will every tell us the answer...

Big thanks:)

I wondered about this yesterday, too. I forget if the question mentioned watching someone falling, or *if* someone fell. Jamin Davis would be my guess if it was someone they would’ve jumped on *if* he fell, but if we’re talking about watching someone who *was* falling, I’m thinking it was Kwity Paye.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Well, what else are you doing with OJ, right now he's 5-6th CB on the roster ? Moving him to backup safety would alleviate using a draft pick, he's has good size for the position, has coverage/ball-hawk skills. And Surtain is the guy who should be covering Tyreke, not a safety. It does make a lot of senc=se to me. And if you still want to get Hamilton next year, OJ can stay a backup, he could certainly be moved back to CB next year if Callahan is shown the door.

Personally I'd keep him at corner, put him in the dog house this year to clean up his tackling and give him a shot at CB 3/4 next year. I actually liked his potential as a cover guy and he obviously has knack for forcing turnovers via FF and was in good position for a few ints minus the dropsies. No harm in keeping solid depth at corner. The tackling for me is a deal breaker though at the safety spot. Now if he greatly improves that, I'd be open to him considering the switch but I also liked his potential at corner.

2 minutes ago, grizmo78 said:

Personally I'd keep him at corner, put him in the dog house this year to clean up his tackling and give him a shot at CB 3/4 next year. I actually liked his potential as a cover guy and he obviously has knack for forcing turnovers via FF and was in good position for a few ints minus the dropsies. No harm in keeping solid depth at corner. The tackling for me is a deal breaker though at the safety spot. Now if he greatly improves that, I'd be open to him considering the switch but I also liked his potential at corner.

But what do we do THIS year at backup safety ? Right now he better than all the backup safties we have on this roster, so far back on the CB depth chart he probably won't even see the field so why not gove him a try, even if it's just this year ? Personally, I didn't think he was THAT bad of a tackler but I do agree he could improve. He isn't going to improve anything sitting on the bench though. 

18 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Also regarding that, what kind of deal were they willing to offer? Book value says 2.40 + 3.71 would get them to the the mid-20’s...would they really do that for Jamin Davis??

I know Fangio loved him. He’s probably the most complete LB in the class, just a little raw with the inexperience. I would have been all for it.

But I couldn’t argue with JOK at 40, even if it’s not as clean a fit.

Just now, Cutler06 said:

But what do we do THIS year at backup safety ? Right now he better than all the backup safties we have on this roster, so far back on the CB depth chart he probably won't even see the field so why not gove him a try, even if it's just this year ? Personally, I didn't think he was THAT bad of a tackler but I do agree he could improve. He isn't going to improve anything sitting on the bench though. 

I would draft someone in the 4th/5th to be a back up. Someone like James Wiggins.

14 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

I know Fangio loved him. He’s probably the most complete LB in the class, just a little raw with the inexperience. I would have been all for it.

But I couldn’t argue with JOK at 40, even if it’s not as clean a fit.

Giving up two assets for an ILB? Man...how high did they rank him??

47 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Also regarding that, what kind of deal were they willing to offer? Book value says 2.40 + 3.71 would get them to the the mid-20’s...would they really do that for Jamin Davis??

After the pesser I started to think about the defence and how we like to run a lot of that 3 shell, match up zone schemes and how Vic and Paton keep talking about how players have excellent length and it seemed to me that they might be prioritizing length in the process of acquiring players.  For Example Shelby Harris 6'2" (34 5/8 Arms, 90%), Simmons 6'2" (32 5/8 Arm, 86%), Kyle Fuller 6'0" (32 7/8 arm, 90%), Surtain II (32 1/2 Arm, 85%). Furthermore, then let's look at a guy they almost let go: Kareem Jackson 5'10" (30 arm, 5%) and maybe this explains why they were not willing to spend the big money on this amazing player... anyway, now let's look at Jamin Davis and we see 6'4" (33" arm, 80%) with speed and he is in that exceptional length discussion... 

Think about it... with all of this length making those windows smaller in Vics scheme... it is going to start to make offensive windows get smaller and smaller and QBs are going to need more time to move through their progressions giving Chubb, Miller and Co. a moment longer to bring home that bacon...

So yeah... this is my thinking behind why they would want to go and go after Davis as he has exceptional length and speed...  I hope I made at least a little bit of sense with this theory... 

Thoughts?

Other ILBs in draft and why we may or may not want based on this theory:

JOK 6'2" (33" arm, 80%)

Bolton 5' 11" (31 7/8 arm, 36%)

Parsons 6'3" (31 1/2 arm, 23%)

Cox 6'3" 32 3/4 arm, 70%)

Edited by ClockWorkOrange
  • Like 3

43 minutes ago, ClockWorkOrange said:

After the pesser I started to think about the defence and how we like to run a lot of that 3 shell, match up zone schemes and how Vic and Paton keep talking about how players have excellent length and it seemed to me that they might be prioritizing length in the process of acquiring players.  For Example Shelby Harris 6'2" (34 5/8 Arms, 90%), Simmons 6'2" (32 5/8 Arm, 86%), Kyle Fuller 6'0" (32 7/8 arm, 90%), Surtain II (32 1/2 Arm, 85%). Furthermore, then let's look at a guy they almost let go: Kareem Jackson 5'10" (30 arm, 5%) and maybe this explains why they were not willing to spend the big money on this amazing player... anyway, now let's look at Jamin Davis and we see 6'4" (33" arm, 80%) with speed and he is in that exceptional length discussion... 

Think about it... with all of this length making those windows smaller in Vics scheme... it is going to start to make offensive windows get smaller and smaller and QBs are going to need more time to move through their progressions giving Chubb, Miller and Co. a moment longer to bring home that bacon...

So yeah... this is my thinking behind why they would want to go and go after Davis as he has exceptional length and speed...  I hope I made at least a little bit of sense with this theory... 

Thoughts?

Other ILBs in draft and why we may or may not want based on this theory:

JOK 6'2" (33" arm, 80%)

Bolton 5' 11" (31 7/8 arm, 36%)

Parsons 6'3" (31 1/2 arm, 23%)

Cox 6'3" 32 3/4 arm, 70%)

Very interesting. I wonder if Hamsah Nasirildeen is higher on our draft board than most, with his 34+” arms at 6’3”. Azeez Ojulari also has crazy long arms, I bet he’s a target at 2.40. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grizmo78 said:

Makes sense. Fuller and Callahan are also UFA's next year so the need will be there.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Makes sense. Fuller and Callahan are also UFA's next year so the need will be there.

We already have a good amt of cap money to roll over to next year (barring some sort of Rodgers trade) but even so, the Cap will be going up significantly next year. I don't foresee us re-signing Callahan with his injury history but I full expect Fuller to be offered a nice salary (heard that Cap going up was why he didn't sign long-term) extension  next year. 

6 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Rumblings that OL are gonna go fast and furious today. I wonder if Paton tries to get ahead of it by grabbing his OT at 2.40. 

Tevon Jenkins was anticipated to be a late #1, probably be good value at 2.40