2021 Broncos Draft Thread

broncosfan_101

You missed Josh Allen, which is definitely the most obvious fluff by this Franchise in that 5 year span that you quoted.

Couple of things spring to mind when reading your post. Firstly - using other teams mistakes as an excuse for us making the same excuse doesn't work.

"Well, other teams also didn't know that he was good so it's not just the Broncos that messed up". Not a fan of that logic. 

You can sugar coat it all you like, but Lamar Jackson is a miss. He was the MVP of the league in his SECOND year. If he's on this team right now, we are a legit Superbowl contender.

I am not as upset as most with us not picking Fields because I do have a bit of faith in Drew getting better (and the romantic in me thinks Rodgers isn't a pipe dream). That said - you cannot possibly deny that people have every reason to be upset we didn't go with someone as talented as Fields at the most important position; a position we've had poor play at for some time now.

Edited by lomaxgrUK
  • Like 4

Both Chicago & NO net a 2022 1st round pick and in NO’s case likely a 2022 1st/2nd or even 2 future 1sts.   If you are passing on Fields but willing to take a 1-year stopgap in Teddy - you take either CHI or NO deal so you are in the drivers seat for ARod / Wilson / Watson.  Or 2022 draft QB.    SMH passing up on Chicago’s offer was a bad call.   

Surtain Jr. could be a really good player.   But if we don’t address QB to get a really good to great QB (not just “he’s ok”) - it’s a total fail move given the choices.    Fields fulfills his promise, or we don’t get one of the big 3 QB because we don’t have the ammo - complete fail.   Surtain is a good pick in a vacuum - but a terrible one given the options available.   

The only solace I have today is that at least the QB went in the tier I expected (Fields / Lance high ceilings teams trade up for; Jones safe floor guy but not a high ceiling top 5 projection guy).    So at least I know the league hasn’t gone insane.   But Paton & co. passing up on Fields AND the trade back scenarios when Chicago paid the piper for 11 - yeah this stings.   Oh well.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

Just reading through the immediate reaction to the pick - got to love the passion, guys 😆

What I will say is that Surtain will play PLENTY. Don't use the argument that we picked a #4 CB that is going to ride the bench. Between injuries, how often we are in the Nickel and how we will now use a CB in our Dime, he's going to play plenty (especially against the Chiefs ...)

Doesn't change my stance that even if he's a #1 CB from day one it won't matter, should our QB play not improve significantly. 

• Like 3

Turning the page to Rd2, some easy value names to look at:  

-JOK - the ILB gap gets filled (Jamin Davis falling was a pipe dream).  Surprised he made it out of Rd1.  Marriage of BPA / need.   The NO trade back scenario hurts because JOK / EDGE was there at their pick (thought it was Collins in the mocks but JOK is more than a great value at 28 let alone Rd2). 

-Moehrig (impact safety when Kareem gone).   Luxury pick but no way he should have fallen.  A total BPA value right now. 

-Azeez Ojulari - impact speed rusher; run game will take time.  But I had him over Oweh pretty easily.  Guess we will see how that works out. 

-Javonte Williams - Trey Sermon & Kenneth Gainwell are the later Rd3+  guys I’d consider but Williams is a dog. 

-any of the T’s - Cosmi / Jenkins - the long term RT gets addressed. Raiders going Leatherwood over the other guys left is a head scratcher.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Just reading through the immediate reaction to the pick - got to love the passion, guys 😆

What I will say is that Surtain will play PLENTY. Don't use the argument that we picked a #4 CB that is going to ride the bench. Between injuries, how often we are in the Nickel and how we will now use a CB in our Dime, he's going to play plenty (especially against the Chiefs ...)

Doesn't change my stance that even if he's a #1 CB from day one it won't matter, should our QB play not improve significantly. 

We will need CB once Fuller leaves and Callahan still can’t stay healthy.   But this still stings for all the reasons you cited.   Surtain could be a Pro Bowl level talent by year 2-3 and its still a total fail if either Fields is good to great - or we whiff on ARod / Wilson / Watson.   And continue to live with mediocre QB play.   

It’s not like the opp to get an impact QB comes around that often.   Paton tried for Stafford.   OK.   He was in on Watson.  Great, can’t control the circumstances there.   Passing on Fields?   Man....but if you are passing on him but feel like you need to get a Bridgewater as insurance - then hedge your 2022 bets for those big ticket guys by trading back to get 2022 1sts.   It’s a no brainer given the direction.   A total SMH there.   

• Like 2

Surtain is a rare case of a team saying it’ll take the best player available and actually meaning it. We have three good veteran corners already and a couple of younger guys who could improve but we go ahead and make the pick anyway.

If he turns out to be as good as his dad then we’ve gotten a good one. Wasn’t expecting a CB, but I don’t mind the pick at all. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

Surtain is a rare case of a team saying it’ll take the best player available and actually meaning it. We have three good veteran corners already and a couple of younger guys who could improve but we go ahead and make the pick anyway.

If he turns out to be as good as his dad then we’ve gotten a good one. Wasn’t expecting a CB, but I don’t mind the pick at all. 

I would of preferred the trade down but even with a trade down we would of missed out on Davis and Paton didn't wanna go below 15 must of been a reason.

I have no problem with the pick Parsons and Surtain were probably the two big bpa defenders there. 

I also think Fangio gets the most out of linebackers like Jewell and Aj johnson I'm super impressed what he has gotten from them Jewel said this d in linebacker friendly so we'll see . Also don't forget Stnard is coming back.

4 hours ago, French Fan said:

2016: Pick26 : Paxton LYNCH ( Goff and Wentz gone 1 and 2 and none are today with their draft Team)

2017 : Pick 20: Garret BOLLES (BrownS-Bears-Jaguars-Titans (twice)-Jets-Panthers-Bengals pass on Mahomes and Watson)

2018: Pick 5 : Bradley CHUBB (Mayfield at 1 to Cleveland and Darnold at 3 with NY. 10 was Josh Rosen and...31 Lamar Jackson...even Ravens passed on him at 25)

2019: Pick 10 traded to Pittsburgh (Murray at 1 Jones at 6 , Haskins at 15)

2020: Pick 15: Jeudy (Burrow at 1 , Herbert at 6 and Love at 26)

2021: Pick 9:  They pass on Justin Fields as so many teams (Falcons-Detroit-Carolina- even Chicago NE and WFT doesn't trade to the top 10 for him)

2016 No regret all are not a franchise cornerstone

2017 you need to jump 10 spots to take Mahomes (and nobody except KC see him at this level) and 8 spots to take Watson

2018: Lamar Jackson doesn't put his team to the SB even with the talent of this team

2019: who you want ? 

2020: Jump 15 to 1 or 15 to 6 really ??????????

2021: Fields had too red flags to consider a franchise QB

What exactly are those red flags? And Drew Lock doesnt? The dude cant read defenses and led the league in Interceptions last year despite only playing 13 games.

I understand there wasnt a Trevor Lawrence cant miss type prospect for the Broncos to draft but Fields is 3x the prospect than what you currently have in Drew Lock.

Also you realize that you can trade UP in the draft right to get a guy they like? It doesnt have to be 'well there are no QBs here at our pick to select how would we ever draft one?" You know, sort of like what the Bears did last night moving from 20 to 11.

Edited by AkronsWitness

4 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

You missed Josh Allen, which is definitely the most obvious fluff by this Franchise in that 5 year span that you quoted.

Couple of things spring to mind when reading your post. Firstly - using other teams mistakes as an excuse for us making the same excuse doesn't work.

"Well, other teams also didn't know that he was good so it's not just the Broncos that messed up". Not a fan of that logic. 

You can sugar coat it all you like, but Lamar Jackson is a miss. He was the MVP of the league in his SECOND year. If he's on this team right now, we are a legit Superbowl contender.

I am not as upset as most with us not picking Fields because I do have a bit of faith in Drew getting better (and the romantic in me thinks Rodgers isn't a pipe dream). That said - you cannot possibly deny that people have every reason to be upset we didn't go with someone as talented as Fields at the most important position; a position we've had poor play at for some time now.

Thats what Im most upset about. Its the lack of aggression in getting and commiting to a tier 1 QB prospect. 

Its like the Broncos will always go BPA because its safe and keeps peoples jobs because you know they are going to likely pan out. It really feels like everybody is so scared to take a QB and get fired if he doesnt pan out that we just freeze up and never take one out of the fear of them failing.

Fields might fall flat on his face, who know. But you have to TRY. The Broncos dont even try, they literally treat drafting QBs with the same sense of urgency as drafting RTs. They treat it like every other position and not like its THE most important position.

I have no problem with the Surtain pick at all.  He is going to be a really good CB for awhile for the Broncos.  There are picks I will never get upset at getting which I think are the most important positions, which includes CB, EDGE, LT, and QB.  I would have liked Fields, but there are still QBs to be had.  I am also happy Field landed with Chicago than New England.  

• Like 3

I really liked Fields but I’ve no issue giving lock on other year. My issues is that we didn’t take the Chicago trade to maximize our draft assets next year when we A) may be in the market for a QB again and B) will have had a year of normal scouting of prospects. 

That said, PS2 is a legit CB and will be a fan favorite for a long time. He didn’t make the pick, so welcome to Broncos Country!

• Like 4

Excited for our second pick. One of JOK, Moehrig (my favorite S prospect of the last few years), J. Williams (beast of a long term RB), Barmore, Jenkins/Cosmi/Eichenberg (didn’t get a chance to actually watch any of them but they are all rated similarly and could slide into RT) is guaranteed to be there for our pick. 

1 minute ago, AkronsWitness said:

Thats what Im most upset about. Its the lack of aggression in getting and commiting to a tier 1 QB prospect. 

Its like the Broncos will always go BPA because its safe and keeps peoples jobs because you know they are going to likely pan out. It really feels like everybody is so scared to take a QB and get fired if he doesnt pan out that we just freeze up and never take one out of the fear of them failing.

Fields might fall flat on his face, who know. But you have to TRY. The Broncos dont even try, they literally treat drafting QBs with the same sense of urgency as drafting RTs. They treat it like every other position and not like its THE most important position.

I’m there with you - unless they have an angle to get A-Rod.   Keep in mind that after June 1 the cap implications for a trade make it more appealing for GB, saves another 17M.  But otherwise I hear you.  

• Like 1