2021 Broncos Draft Thread

broncosfan_101

22 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

We had an 8ish-year prime of one of the top 5 corners of all-time, and we won two playoff games in that span. I’m sure Surtain will be a good player, but even if he’s a Hall of Famer, he doesn’t move the needle nearly as much as a borderline top 10 QB would. 

And that's exactly the point. And I like Surtain, a lot, as a prospect and CB is a premium position. 

Now, I'm a bigger fan of Drew than most here, and I have been fine since last year ended giving him another year, with a full off-season, a season of experience in Shurmur's offense and the growth and hopefully development of the young weapons. The problem is I don't trust Vic to make Drew the starter now that we have the safe but unspectacular Teddy B. 

Fields was in the discussion for the top pick, even if odds were much stronger for Lawrence, why he fell I don't know. But, as a Bears fan (my family is originally from the Chicago area), I'm much more excited for their season next year than for ours. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Can't say it was Elway without a doubt, but I believe he was. I'm 100% sure he was Dave Logan's source though.

I didn't know Logan reported it. But it doesn't surprise me, he has a long-term relationship with Elway. 

I don't list to KOA since it's like 45 minutes of commercials and sponsor reads per 60 minutes of airtime. 

6 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I didn't know Logan reported it. But it doesn't surprise me, he has a long-term relationship with Elway. 

I don't list to KOA since it's like 45 minutes of commercials and sponsor reads per 60 minutes of airtime. 

It sounds like they were reeeeally confident at that stage. He said his source was “someone so well-connected that even a casual fan would know who it is”. 

2 hours ago, germ-x said:

Surtain is a damn good player.  No doubt.  Fully worthy of that pick at #9.  I’ve read many who had him as a better prospect coming out of Alabama than Marlon Humphrey and Humphrey’s made 2 pro bowls and been named an all-pro.  Surtain is also a high character guy, which has been a strong push for this franchise over the last few drafts. 

If Justin Fields had been off the board no one would be complaining about this pick.  

Yeah, let's not confuse Surtain the player from the choice Paton had.

If Paton knows he's getting A-Rod (or Watson/Wilson, but that ship's sailed on Watson until there's resolution, and Wilson can't be known) - sure, take Surtain.   If this part of continuing the GB discussions down the line, sure, take Surtain.

Barring that, though - either you take Fields, or you take the package Chicago (or NO if they paid substantially more) - because that likely secures your QBOTF.   This was just the safest, win-now, make-Fangio-happy move of the 3.  And it doesn't really solve the issue of getting a top-5 ceiling guy to match up with Mahomes/Herbert (unless it's part of ongoing talks with GB where they'd want Surtain over Stokes, and obviously more added in on our end).   

Nothing about Surtain is in question being a bad pick in a vacuum.  But the pick wasn't in a vacuum, there were 2 other alternatives - take Fields, or trade back and get at least 1 2022 1st round pick added, if not more (NO).  The 2 other alternatives presented the real opportunity to finally address QBOTF, and a high-ceiling one, in a massive way.   And those were passed.   Surtain could be a Pro-Bowl caliber CB for much of his career - but if Fields works out, or the established great QB's get moved elsewhere and succeed - it's going to be seen a failure GM-wise.    

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

If Paton knows he's getting A-Rod (or Watson/Wilson, but that ship's sailed on Watson until there's resolution, and Wilson can't be known) - sure, take Surtain.   If this part of continuing the GB discussions down the line, sure, take Surtain.

Barring that, though - either you take Fields, or you take the package Chicago (or NO if they paid substantially more) - because that likely secures your QBOTF.   This was just the safest, win-now, make-Fangio-happy move of the 3.  And it doesn't really solve the issue of getting a top-5 ceiling guy to match up with Mahomes/Herbert (unless it's part of ongoing talks with GB where they'd want Surtain over Stokes, and obviously more added in on our end).   

Nothing about Surtain is in question being a bad pick in a vacuum.  But the pick wasn't in a vacuum, there were 2 other alternatives - take Fields, or trade back and get at least 1 2022 1st round pick added, if not more (NO).  The 2 other alternatives presented the real opportunity to finally address QBOTF, and a high-ceiling one, in a massive way.   And those were passed.   Surtain could be a Pro-Bowl caliber CB for much of his career - but if Fields works out, or the established great QB's get moved elsewhere and succeed - it's going to be seen a failure GM-wise.    

Perfectly stated

24 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Barring that, though - either you take Fields, or you take the package Chicago (or NO if they paid substantially more) - because that likely secures your QBOTF.   This was just the safest, win-now, make-Fangio-happy move of the 3.  And it doesn't really solve the issue of getting a top-5 ceiling guy to match up with Mahomes/Herbert.   

One thing about accepting the trade is it would have likely netted an extra first round pick that could be used in a potential Rodgers deal a month from now. That's why not trading down could potentially be an even bigger fail.