2021 Broncos Draft Thread

broncosfan_101

13 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

I really liked Fields but I’ve no issue giving lock on other year. My issues is that we didn’t take the Chicago trade to maximize our draft assets next year when we A) may be in the market for a QB again and B) will have had a year of normal scouting of prospects. 

That said, PS2 is a legit CB and will be a fan favorite for a long time. He didn’t make the pick, so welcome to Broncos Country!

Absolutely agreed there.  

• Like 1

I wonder if Fangio might take Ojemudia under his wing and convert him from CB to SS like he did with Kareem Jackson. We’ve got 4 CBs above him in the pecking order now and Jackson is likely gone after this year. We could roll out a secondary in 2022 of Surtain and Darby as outside corners, Bassey in the slot, Simmons at FS and Ojemudia at SS. 

11 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Thats what Im most upset about. Its the lack of aggression in getting and commiting to a tier 1 QB prospect. 

Its like the Broncos will always go BPA because its safe and keeps peoples jobs because you know they are going to likely pan out. It really feels like everybody is so scared to take a QB and get fired if he doesnt pan out that we just freeze up and never take one out of the fear of them failing.

Fields might fall flat on his face, who know. But you have to TRY. The Broncos dont even try, they literally treat drafting QBs with the same sense of urgency as drafting RTs. They treat it like every other position and not like its THE most important position.

For a multitude of reasons, the Paxton Lynch pick has set this franchise back significantly, and continues to do so. It's certainly affected the psyche of our Front Office when considering selecting a QB in the 1st round.

Which as you say, is a rather cowardly approach to building a team.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

For a multitude of reasons, the Paxton Lynch pick has set this franchise back significantly, and continues to do so. It's certainly affected the psyche of our Front Office when considering selecting a QB in the 1st round.

Which as you say, is a rather cowardly approach to building a team.

Oh I agree 100%, its also why I think they are refusing to let go of Drew Lock because they dont want to have another swing and miss. 

I actually like Moehrig more than JOK but given our R1 investment in the secondary I think it would be hard for the FO to make the call again in R2. 

Moehrig, JOK, Barmore, Javonte are the only guys I really like here. I have not liked the 32-52 type range in this draft for a while now. 

If we are really running with Lock or Teddy, I think Javonte here makes a ton of sense. We need to build up that ground game to open the field for our bleh QB's. 

Edited by BroncosFan2010

JOK

Moehrig

Cosmi

Williams

Eichenberg

Holland

My 6 remaining first round grades and they all fit into our needs. Hopefully at least one of them makes it to 40. Or I don’t hate trading down and getting more picks. I actually think RT and Edge are our biggest needs. 

Edited by paul-mac

4 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

I actually like Moehrig more than JOK but given our R1 investment in the secondary I think it would be hard for the FO to make the call again in R2. 

Moehrig, JOK, Barmore are the only guys I really like here. I have not liked the 32-52 type range in this draft for a while now. 

I’d pound the table for JOK, Barmore, or Ojulari. Assuming two of them go before our pick, I’d seriously consider a move up for the last one. Moehrig, Cosmi, Jenkins still being available would limit my offer, but I’d make a call.

Still can't wrap my head around the surtain pick... Lets just say he and all the other picks we've made in the past 3 years grade out to an A... Like literally hit on all of em. We still can't choose to keep em all cause of cap issues so we end up starting the same process again. I just don't understand if you KNOW you have a qb room that can't maximize talent you're just setting the clock later.

I see best case scenario this year being that Bears team from a couple years back that had an amazing defense and finished with a great record but was out in the first round and stuck in mediocrity 

• Like 1

Also worth noting this does seem like a very Fangio move in that it gives Vic the best chance to show what he can do with a defense  (assuming we also pick up a LB and maybe a RB). I don't think Vic was very keen on a rookie QB coming in and most likely failing in Shurmer's schemes again.

It also falls in line with Elway's former mentality of drafting high character guys who have a history of leading. Again, I do think that's a great thing...it just leads to you being on a hamster wheel of talent until you get a QB

Edited by Dbrog24

37 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I am guessing this is why the Broncos draft Surtain

Surtain is a damn good player.  No doubt.  Fully worthy of that pick at #9.  I’ve read many who had him as a better prospect coming out of Alabama than Marlon Humphrey and Humphrey’s made 2 pro bowls and been named an all-pro.  Surtain is also a high character guy, which has been a strong push for this franchise over the last few drafts. 

If Justin Fields had been off the board no one would be complaining about this pick.  

Edited by germ-x
  • Like 3

1.) JOK - JOK is not the best fit for our defense (would be best as a will in a 4-3) but I think is clearly the best available talent left. 

2.) Barmore - As long as his character/work ethic were checked out, he has the potential to be a difference maker on the D-Line. 

3.) Javonte Williams - I'm not a fan of taking a RB quite this early if we aren't super bowl contenders but given our front office has made it clear they are all in on Lock, it only makes sense to give him as many weapons to succeed as possible. Melvin Gordon is going to be a FA after this year, so gives Williams a year to get acclimated then take over as an all around back. 

I'm not a fan of this safety class at all, and honestly would be on board with trading down to the late 2nd round and pick up an extra pick next year if these guys are gone. 

STUNNED and BEWILDERED and CONFUSED.  So you have arguable the second best qb available.  A qb who is arguably better than Howell of next year so I guess not taking him has killed the thought of Howell for next year in a way.  There are no real free agent qbs in 2022 save Winston.  In 2023 you have Carr, Cousins, Garrapolo and of course Brady and Stafford who both likely will not be available.  So what is the plan, hopefully none of these guys?  And not trading back when we have so much need.  Like Chicago's first next year has no value?  Like wake up and die right.  Well at least I save $300 a year for a while as I have no need whatsoever for the NFL package.  What a FO of complete idiots.  I'm so disappointed I doubt I even care of wtf we do the rest of this draft.  And I doubt we get a Mond or Mills too.  Pathetic!!