Draft Day Thread:

Steeler Hitman

3 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Yup this lines up. Leads the class in 10+ yard runs but only 5th in 20+ yard runs with the 2nd most carries. This was Bell in his prime to a T.

Etiennes 8% of runs going for 20+ yards on almost 700 carries is just stupid. 

I’m kinda thinking we should circle back on Carter and dump Snell. He’s a power back without power. Harris and Carter and McFarland would be Smash, Dash, and Flash. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I’m kinda thinking we should circle back on Carter and dump Snell. He’s a power back without power. Harris and Carter and McFarland would be Smash, Dash, and Flash. 

Sounds nice for sure but I think it’s overkill. I could see Carter going pretty soon. Let’s see what McFarland can do in Canada’s offense, I’m not completely out on him yet. 

• Like 1

Just now, bigben07MVP said:

Sounds nice for sure but I think it’s overkill. I could see Carter going pretty soon. Let’s see what McFarland can do in Canada’s offense, I’m not completely out on him yet. 

Oh it is overkill but a guy can have a wet dream here and there right?

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, warfelg said:

If we drafted 6 running backs in 5 years, I would literally scream. 

Im already hoping they learned their lesson about the running back decision after taking 4 in a row and needing to take pick 24 at the position to correct it all. 

I think this is a good point here. That’s 27th with you take out the too few touches and the QBs. It’s 0.1 yards behind CEH and 0.2 behind Henderson who had “good years” but played behind better lines. Harris alone is going to have a big impact on a line who gets a better run blocker back in Banner, upgrade full time to Dodson at LG, and have addition by subtraction in Pouncey. Say what you will about not being comfortable with Finney, but he’s actually an upgrade. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, 43M said:

Walt is a clown, but I dont ENTIRELY disagree with the mentality.    Im never a fan of drafting a RB in the first round, but the Steelers put themselves in a bad situation where it was pretty necessary.    

I dont agree that waiting until the 5th or 6th round is a great idea.   Maybe for a backup if you already have a decent starter.   We dont.    We have Benny Snell and Anthony McFarland, and while I think McFarland can develop and Snell can be okay for a few carries a game, we needed a jolt to the running game.    A 5th or 6th rounder isnt going to do that.      I wouldve preferred Etienne because he is younger and has more big play potential, but either way, RB was an absolute early round need if we want to see a notable improvement.    Not saying we will definitely see it, but we certainly wouldnt without an infusion of major talent.

Biggest reason Im okay with it is because at least its a "win now" move.     They brought Ben back because they believe they can still win with him....if they wouldve just drafted a bunch of developmental players that couldnt necessarily contribute immediately, it wouldve been an incredibly foolish move.    Thats another reason I didnt want a player like Oweh....we need players that can provide immediate return on our investment.

Im hoping we draft a CB and OLineman on day 2.   We might get one of them.   Typically, we draft a position out of left field on day 2....so I wouldnt be shocked to see a safety or even a QB taken.

I think the "win-now" point is important but it also highlights the ways in which our progression as a franchise is being held back by Ben returning another year.

If you're convinced that the steelers are a contending team (which I strongly disagree with), then going RB and OL in round 1 & 2 makes a lot of sense. That was our biggest issue last year. However, long term, drafting a RB in the first rarely makes sense for a franchise. I think if Ben retired, we would've gone in a different direction in this draft (Maybe trade up for fields?). 

So many of the moves this offseason just reek of a desperate team trying to convince themselves they are Super Bowl contenders. I don't necessarily hate them, and understand why they occurred, it's just I strongly disagree that there's any real path to greatness with how this roster is currently constructed. 

5 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Harris alone is going to have a big impact on a line who gets a better run blocker back in Banner, upgrade full time to Dodson at LG

Agreed. These are the two huge pieces the national narrative continues to overlook. We improved the run game by not doing anything, but no one recognizes that. We are improved both in personnel and by losing Ficthner. 

Grabbing the top RB in the draft, while already having improved the run game....we are light years ahead of last year. 

Better at LG without doing anything. Better at RT without doing anything. Will improve C with a day 2 pick, which is where the talent has always been slated to go. Throw in a healthier RG and a more capable OC..... I'm pretty happy with where we are. 

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

I think this is a good point here. That’s 27th with you take out the too few touches and the QBs. It’s 0.1 yards behind CEH and 0.2 behind Henderson who had “good years” but played behind better lines. Harris alone is going to have a big impact on a line who gets a better run blocker back in Banner, upgrade full time to Dodson at LG, and have addition by subtraction in Pouncey. Say what you will about not being comfortable with Finney, but he’s actually an upgrade. 

But it is not.  There are quality RBs to be had later.  Yes, this is a good class for OT, CB and developmental EDGE but RB talent is there.  Is there a vast difference between Etienne and Gainwell? Etienne and  Greene? Not really. 

All of the crap i keep hearing is #24 is too soon but #33 is just fine.  That is a 4th round pick in a trade.

That being said, Harris is a good RB.  I preferred Etienne  but I am sure AR2 and Tomlin liked the big back.  Is Harris better than Conner?  Sure.  By how much?

Edited by jebrick

8 minutes ago, jebrick said:

But it is not.  There are quality RBs to be had later.  Yes, this is a good class for OT, CB and developmental EDGE but RB talent is there.  Is there a vast difference between Etienne and Gainwell? Etienne and  Greene? Not really. 

That being said, Harris is a good RB.  I preferred Etienne  but I am sure AR2 and Tomlin liked the big back.

They’ve been trying the mid to late round RB idea....and it hasn’t worked.

Lot of OL to be had in rounds 2-4...after Darrisaw the value was t there.

• Like 3