Draft Day Thread:

Steeler Hitman

8 minutes ago, Cbrunn said:

They showed interest in a bunch of Oline. Klem put kendrick green ellis through his drills at his pro day 

Everyone was at Notre Dame pro day and so on

Forgot about Klemm at Illinois pro day...good catch.

@warfelg Sorry, I didn't see that you posted a similar list.

What do you think could happen before pick # 55 or (the Steelers pick at 23 in round two? 

There are a lot of good players still out there and CB, OT, IOL and Edge could be in play for the Steelers based on what other teams do with the 22 picks ahead. Here are 45 potential round two targets.

My guess: JOK is long gone from the board. He had top 15 grades, so I don't expect him to last very long, and someone gets an absolute draft steal value wise. 

I see another run on CB's as will a few safeties because none were picked in round one. Someone is going to take one or two of the QB's before the Steelers pick. 

Teams will definitely circle back on OL (like I believe the Bengals definitely should). 

When the pick rolls to the Steelers, I will guess that they should be able to pick between some IOL, OT, ILB, maybe a CB and maybe an Edge.

I would love Quinn Meinerz. I would more than settle for Creed Humphrey,  Brady Christensen, or Elijah Moulden. I think CB's Samuel, Campbell, and Joseph are gone. The edge guys are gone. Browning or Cox may be there, not a fan of Bolton based on what the Steelers do on defense. Pat is gone at TE. Two safeties may be there to pick and a choice of WR's. Based on grades and needs I go IOL, OT or CB based on who I believe will be left. It would be hard to pass on Browning if there, but fixing the ground game is a higher priority.

Big Board at some key spots or players:

(6) CB Asante Samuel, Tyson Campbell, Elijah Molden, Kelvin Joseph, Ifeatu Melifonwu, Aaron Robinson

(5) IOL Creed Humphrey, Quinn Meinerz, Wyatt Davis, Tre' Smith, Landon Dickerson 

(9) OT Tevin Jenkins, Sam Cosmi, Dillon Radunz, Jaylin Mayfield, Liam Eichenberg, Brady Christensen, Walker Little, Spencer Brown, Jackson Carmen

(3) Edge/OLB Joseph Ossai, Azeez Ojulari, Carlos Basham, 

(4) ILB/Hybrid Jeremiah Owusu-Karamoah, Baron Browning,  Jabril Cox, Nick Bolton

(1) TE Pat Freiermuth

(4) Safety Richie Grant, Trevor Moehring, Andre' Cisco, Jevon Holland

(5) WR Rondale Moore, Terrance Marshall, Amon Ra St. Brown, Elijah Moore, Nico Collins

(5) RB Javonte Williams, Kenneth Gainwell, Michael Carter, Trey Sermon, Chubba Hubbard

(3) QB  Davis Mills, Kellen Mond, Kyle Trask

Edited by Steeler Hitman

If browning is there, I have a hard time passing on him 

I know it'd be a luxury... But 250lbs running low 4.5 and a 6.7 3 cone...next to Bush for the long term, sign me up 

Then grab a C , CB and edge with the next 3  

I expect it to be browning, AS jr or Campbell

Edited by Cbrunn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

I agree too, but....and I just got blocked by Geoff Schwartz for challenging him on this:  What OL player would you have reached on then?  Like to improve the running game takes 3 things: Talent at RB, talent at OL, and scheme.  Scheme was taken care of we think with Canada.  The talent at RB was so much better than the talent at OL when we were on the board at 24.

I dont disagree that we got good value for the PLAYER, but as I said, there are just numerous things that make me feel a bit uncomfortable about this pick.     Beyond just not liking RB in the first round, I just feel like we picked the WRONG RB.      Could I be wrong?  Sure.    I hope he tears it up, and watching him, he does look like a beast on the field.    But then again, so did Trent Richardson.  Im not directly comparing him to Richardson, but Bama backs make me nervous.   They always have a dominant OLine and overall much better athletes than most other teams.      Richardson was a great athlete behind a great OLine.   Same with Harris.

Bottom line....I dont hate the pick, but I cant give it higher than maybe a B.     If he tears it up as a rookie, I will gladly eat some crow, but the thing is, if our running game still struggles and Harris doesnt really have a great rookie campaign, this is going to feel slightly wasted.

Oh well.   Admittedly, outside of Etienne, I have no idea who would shouldve drafted over RB.    Picking in the 20s every year sucks.    I either wanna pick at 32 or the top 10.  😁

I am really kinda torn there. I love the idea of ILB insurance by adding someone who can cover and has a similar skillset as Bush. However, I think (in my head and my heart) the team has to stay disciplined and stick to their board and needs. They really have to improve in the trenches after taking a RB. I will admit that it is easier to gamble taking Browning (if available) here as there are  more IOL and OT prospects that will be available in round three round possibly four. While I would love to go RB1, OC2, OT3 or TE3 (Trimble), I think they will grab a defensive player with one of the next two picks. If a CB falls they may go there and truthfully, I wouldn't be surprised if they took Browning if there either.  Really torn.

evening fellas it's been a while hey!

najee probably gives us the best chance to win this year so i can't fault the pick tbh. looking down the line too he gives a safety valve for when ben eventually does decide to hang them up as a threat in the passing and running game. i believe that rb's are by and large fungible but by the time you're at 24 unless you get massive fortuitous slides like TJ coming to us a couple of years ago i don't hate going in that direction tbh, especially if you get a guy as multifaceted as najee is

10 minutes ago, 43M said:

Richardson was a great athlete behind a great OLine.  

I always thought he was an average at best athlete with piss poor vision. The difference is Harris produced against everyone, Richardson only produced against bad team. 

9 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

Harris better end up being a stud because if I have to watch Etienne tear up the league and become a top 5 RB like I think he will and he was drafted one spot behind us, man that will be tough. 

Obviously the Steelers looked at both and had that argument -- probably a million times. In the end, they saw Harris as a better fit for them. 

• Like 1

I don't hate the player, I dislike the pick. I think he's a considerably better RB than the last 1st round RB, CEH. I still don't love the pick. I don't hate it, though. We needed talent at RB, and Harris is definitely that. I don't really know who else we could have taken that would have been a lot better. One could argue that Etienne was a little better, but I think that's splitting hairs. I'm excited to see what the FO does in the later rounds. We had a bang up draft last year, so I'm hoping for a continuity. I trust them to make good calls. We still have needs at IOL, CB, EDGE, ILB, TE. There are a lot of guys left to fill those positions too. I'd like Browning or Freiermuth in the 2nd, and maybe a double dip on IOL in the 3rd and 4th. Maybe that kid @warfelg likes from Illinois and Trey Hill from UGA. That'd be a great haul on top of Harris and Browning/Pat. 

2 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I am guessing Browning then Hainsey as a center

I wouldn't hate it, but I'd like someone with a little more sand in their pants at IOL. Like the Illinois kid, Meinerz, or Trey Hill. I actually kind of like the other ND interior guy more, Banks. That dude is a road grader.