Jaguars sign TE Tim Tebow

RaidersAreOne

58 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Then why attack the views of cronyism as it is? If it isn't a "sound football decision", then it's something else. It's hard to just accept "there isn't anything else out there" if we're just worried Trey Burton gets hurt again. 

If it's not a sound football decision, it's something else. Agreed. But you know how many other times Jaguars have ever had other fans fervently tell us that we need to acknowledge how dumb a 90th roster spot signing for camp is? The Jaguars are well known across the league for making some of the dumbest roster decisions in the league, but not once has anyone ever cared. Never heard one person say a single thing when Gene Smith was inviting dudes who played at community college to play at camp, or Dave Caldwell was bringing in dudes who has been camp casualties 3+ years. Deciding who gets the very last roster spot that he's taking up is like the single most inconsequential thing that any team does in any given year. But now because it's a guy with a big cult of personality, I need to be fervently told how stupid my team is, and any time I try to acknowledge that it just doesn't matter in any way, I get more responses telling me I need to be upset and  how dumb the team is using an asset that not a single person here can tell me who it was used on in any year in Jacksonville history, and most probably couldn't even tell you one person who was in the first entire wave of cuts in any given year on any of their own teams either.

We're not worried Burton might get hurt again, we're aware of the fact that he didn't look like he could run for the entirety of the last two years. We recognize that a dude who runs like that isn't going to be good, so we don't see the point in complaining that we are going to invite one player who can't play the position to camp instead of another. 

• Like 2

Many always said he should've switched if he wanted to be a productive player. If that's what he wants to be, regardless of what one thinks about his beliefs (and I don't agree), then let him try. He's probably only getting the shot because his college coach is in charge but that's also the exact scenario where he may end up being effective and gotten the most out of. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, iknowcool said:

Look, we'll just agree to disagree.  I think clearly we see the situation differently and that's fine.  I, personally, am not going to believe they incorporated logical football thinking in regards to a move that defies all sports logic in the first place (age, length of time away from the game, never played the position, was never good in the first place... it just literally doesn't make any sense, and I can't think of an even slightly comparable situation, but maybe I am wrong).  It would concern me if Tebow was the name Urban Meyer was drawn to when seeing how weak the tight end position was on his roster.  To me I feel like the only thing that ever mattered in all of this was the relationship between Meyer and Tebow, and while it isn't a big deal and in all likelihood won't even be remembered (much) a year from now, it sends a negative message that you can be signed for being buddies with the head coach.

But that's just me.  I understand your POV too and that you disagree, if you disagree, I get it.  Probably should just leave it at that at this point.

I 100% agree that if Urban Meyer and Tebow didn't have such a strong relationship, this never happens in a million years under any circumstance. I agree that it isn't a sound decision. I agree that the likelihood that he brings anything positive to the team at all is extremely low.

But I do think your stance sounds like no matter what the Jaguars looked like at TE, Tebow was always going to get a contract to play TE because Urban Meyer and him are friend. And to that, I disagree. I listened to him speak pretty candidly about how they just struck out at every single attempt to find a TE; heard how disheartened he sounded in one of his free agency presser when explaining how their pitch failed for Jonnu and Hunter Henry, how he talked about wanting to move up for Kyle Pitts and how he said that they had called multiple teams to try to acquire a TE that the team is at a point where they felt they struck out on every viable option for the position. After all of that, I think we're scraping the bottom of the barrel. We've got options like keeping Josh Oliver who couldn't ever get on the field because he was always hurt, guys like Trey Burton who are clearly broken versions of their past selves, transitioning guys like Collin Johnson to TE (which maybe they're still doing), or like a random UDFA who is wildly underdeveloped; none of which really do anything to move the needle in any discernible way.

I think at that point is where the nepotism comes in; "Hey, I know Tebow. I know he is healthy, I know he hasn't been slowed down by countless injuries, I know he understands some of the concepts that would be asked of him. Let's give my good friend a shot and see what happens until we can address this better." And yeah, he's probably not close to the best decision. But when the likelihood for any of the options (save a future trade or cut coming through) doing anything at all is like sub-5%, I don't really see the point in worrying about the difference between the 1% chance guy and the 3% chance guy. Ultimately, what they really need is someone who is on another roster at this moment, and I really don't think anyone should care who keeps the seat warm. And if they don't make a move for a TE who is on another roster right now, I think fans should be upset regardless of if it's Tebow, Burton or whoever else that would have been in camp being the F TE.

But really, if you do think this is a non-factor and inconsequential, then yeah it's probably best to agree to disagree on the specificity of our argument.

• Like 3

It seems like the Jags fans are saying: "Our TE's are absolute garbage, so if Tebow can help in any way, even as a camp decoy, it could be worth it. If he can't help, we'll cut him and look for other teams cuts."

Eminently reasonable if you ask me.

I do think it's unfortunate that people are equating Tebow with his cultish fans. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

god Urban is an idiot isn't he? 

If it wasn't for lucking into Trevor Lawrence I might feel bad for Jags fans.

Oh yes, give me more of this.

Going from a team no one talks about/gets zero attention to a team everyone hates would be tremendous and I am 1000% here for it. 

• Like 5

Just now, .Buzz said:

Oh yes, give me more of this.

Going from a team no one talks about/gets zero attention to a team everyone hates would be tremendous and I am 1000% here for it. 

Calm down buddy. Nobody really hates Lawrence. Meyer is just a dumbass who only made the jump to the pros cause there was one of the best QB prospects in the past decade waiting for him. He'll fail unless Trevor puts him on his back which is always possible.

Just now, TheRealMcCoy said:

Calm down buddy. Nobody really hates Lawrence. Meyer is just a dumbass who only made the jump to the pros cause there was one of the best QB prospects in the past decade waiting for him. He'll fail unless Trevor puts him on his back which is always possible.

d0d344282da90de5f0aa01e82da9adfa.gif

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

What did he say there to make him an idiot? I’m confused.

He said he looked like an 18 year old again. Tebow ran a 4.72 coming out of college. Probably runs like a 4.85-5.0 now. 

They would've been better off getting some middling veteran or a UDFA TE. Hell... they could've traded a late rounder in 2022 for Ertz lol.

But, what can you expect from a team that drafts a RB in the first round?