Jaguars sign TE Tim Tebow

RaidersAreOne

23 minutes ago, pwny said:

Like let’s say it wasn’t Tebow

But it is Tebow.  That is the whole point.  We do have 27 pages and that is just on a forum.  The media is treating it accordingly.  More importantly, what do you think the text message threads look like between the Jaguars players?  Anyways The Tebow Team should be interesting to follow this year.  Because, realize that is the result.  You are no longer the Jaguars, you are the Tebows.  If it works and he contributes, great.  But if it doesn't, disaster.  

2 minutes ago, offbyone said:

But it is Tebow.  That is the whole point.  We do have 27 pages and that is just on a forum.  The media is treating it accordingly.  More importantly, what do you think the text message threads look like between the Jaguars players?  Anyways The Tebow Team should be interesting to follow this year.  Because, realize that is the result.  You are no longer the Jaguars, you are the Tebows.  If it works and he contributes, great.  But if it doesn't, disaster.  

We're the Tebows, huh.

Kind of cool to be named after our at best 3rd TE, ngl.

8 minutes ago, Hopper15 said:

Kind of funny how everyone besides Urban Meyer knows this won't work.

Maybe he'll take heat off of Lawrence if he doesn't immediately dominate the league?

An equally likely scenario is that when Lawrence throws his first INT and loses a game, the Tebow mafia will demand that Tebow become the starting QB, otherwise it's cancel culture because he's a proud Christian.

Edited by redsoxsuck05

1 hour ago, iknowcool said:

Lol you don't even know what you are arguing anymore.

One second it's anyone who says he doesn't deserve to be signed is a hater. At another point its "nobody is arguing he's earned this spot."  Which one is it man?

And again, I do not have a problem with Tim Tebow being brought in. How many more times do I need to make that clear?  The only thing I have argued in this thread is the people who keep trying to apply logic to this signing or trying to act like Tebow has a chance.  It's absolutely maddening.  Be entertained by Tebow being signed, but stop trying to act like Urban Meyer seriously evaluated Tim Tebow and decided, based on football reasons, he was the best person to sign.  That clearly didn't happen.  Literally nobody else in his position would ever be signed to a pro team.  

It's crazy this even needs to be explained.  For the last time, this is is a guy who is pushing 34 years old, a guy who sucked at his original position the last time he played, a guy who hasn't played in the regular season in 8 years and was cut in the preseason/camp by his last 2 teams (Patriots/Eagles), a guy who is now switching positions.  And ya'll are really trying to convince yourselves that Urban Meyer used a sliver of logic when making this signing lol it's a joke.    The fact that it is an awful signing is okay, because it is just training camp/offseason.  Nobody is saying otherwise.  But it is still a dumb signing.  Clearly.  

Well...you're anger over something so trivial is a you problem

2 minutes ago, offbyone said:

But it is Tebow.  That is the whole point.

Yes. Exactly. That is my point, yes. This entire thread’s discussion isn’t about whether or not it’s a dumb signing, or whether or not it sends a bad message, or whether or not it’s a nepotistic discussion. It’s solely because of the cult of personality that Tebow has and nothing else.

Half the thread is fans saying they don’t care who gets the 90th spot regardless of who it is, and the other half are people who couldn’t tell you the single name of anyone else on the Jaguars who are just camp bodies demanding that we be upset about a camp roster spot literally no one has ever cared about before yesterday because it’s Tebow.

25 minutes ago, pwny said:

How bad of a message? Like let’s say it wasn’t Tebow, but any other message that was equally as horrible, equally as bad, and equally as consequential, on a scale of… let’s say 1-27, how much attention do you think anyone would be paying to it? How much energy would anyone be putting into talking about how horrible of a message it was?

If we want to talk about horrible, truly damaging messaging, Urban has already done something magnitudes worse and far more damaging, and that got all of 5 pages of discussion on here. Last year, Tony Khan got into a Twitter spat with a player; that seems really bad messaging. Almost nobody talked about it. The Eagles were on camera having a very serious spat over a player they just drafted. Nowhere near the discussion about how terrible the messaging and behavior is.

If they did literally anything else that was equally as “damaging” or made any other stupid signing for their 90th roster spot, literally no one (other than maybe @ramssuperbowl99) would bother to talk about how Urban Meyer is an idiot. But because it’s Tebow, we gotta have a 27 page discussion where we detail how this is bad messaging and not a good signing. it’s bad and dumb, but if it was anything else on the same scale as this sits at the current state, there wouldn’t be anyone demanding acknowledgement over it being dumb because we’d all agree “who cares?”

I agree, it isn't that big of a deal.  I've said that several times.  It's still a bad message nonetheless (which is my point - just because it isn't a big deal doesn't mean it isn't a bad message).  How can you not see how signing Tim Tebow is not in any way comparable to signing a UDFA equivalent?  He is being signed strictly, 100% because of his relationship with Urban Meyer.  There is no football-logical reason for signing someone in his position, with his track-record.  So yes that sends a message (small or big) that you are willing to have someone out on the field for something other than football-related reasons and credentials.

And once again, yes... it isn't that big of a deal.  And again, this back-and-forth isn't happening because the debate is over whether it is a good signing or not (it clearly isn't).  It is happening because some of you keep trying to insist that Urban Meyer used some kind of logic when making this move, or that Tim Tebow has done anything in the slightest to earn this.  And all I'm saying is that clearly isn't the case.  Tebow being signed has nothing to do with how he looked in shorts with the tight end coach.  It has nothing to do with the Jags being weak at TE.  It has nothing to do with needing an H-Back.  Those are excuses to cover up the sole, most obvious reason.  Because in no other situation, ever, would a player in Tebow's shoes be brought into training camp.  It is a wasted resource.  And yes, you can say anyone who is the 90th worst player on the team is a wasted resource.  Which is why, again, I agree, it ain't a big deal.  But what makes it different is there is no sound, football-related reason for making it.  There just isn't, as much as you guys keep trying to spin it.  It is [b]obvious[/b] why this signing happening, and that rightfully so annoys people.

If you want to make an apples-to-apples comparison, then how about this.  Lots of people complain and/or get frustrated by how nepotism and favoritism dominates coaching.  This is no different.  So why are you acting so shocked by it, or confused by why so many people are reacting so harshly to it?  A player was signed strictly because of his personal relationship with the head coach.  And people aren't fans of that.  It doesn't mean it is a big deal, but ya'll keep acting like you don't understand what makes this different than signing someone else when it is clear why it is different.  And if it wasn't different, then why are there reports coming out saying some coaches aren't happy?  Why are some players speaking out against it?

Look, you guys deserve to be excited and happy for the future.  Like I said earlier in this thread, if I were a Jags fan, I would find this entertaining as hell.  The only thing I have ever argued against in this thread is how you guys keep trying to spin this as something that Urban Meyer did with a lick of logic behind it.  Tebow's work-out with the tight end coach doesn't prove anything.  What Tebow did playing for him before 2010 doesn't mean anything.  None of it matters.  Literally no team would have chosen to sign Tim Tebow as a possible solution to a weak TE position, except a team with Urban Meyer at HC.  And every time someone says that, you guys respond to it.  That is why this thread is 27 pages. 

6 minutes ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

Maybe he'll take heat off of Lawrence if he doesn't immediately dominate the league?

An equally likely scenario is that when Lawrence throws his first INT and loses a game, the Tebow mafia will demand that Tebow become the starting QB, otherwise it's cancel culture because he's a proud Christian.

Literally nobody is going to do that. My goodness you people are so dramatic. But thanks for getting to the root of why there are so many haters on this thread.

1 minute ago, sammymvpknight said:

Literally nobody is going to do that. My goodness you people are so dramatic. But thanks for getting to the root of why there are so many haters on this thread.

I think you're underestimating Tebow apologists who still complain about the fair shake he didn't get. 

6 minutes ago, pwny said:

Yes. Exactly. That is my point, yes. This entire thread’s discussion isn’t about whether or not it’s a dumb signing, or whether or not it sends a bad message, or whether or not it’s a nepotistic discussion. It’s solely because of the cult of personality that Tebow has and nothing else.

Half the thread is fans saying they don’t care who gets the 90th spot regardless of who it is, and the other half are people who couldn’t tell you the single name of anyone else on the Jaguars who are just camp bodies demanding that we be upset about a camp roster spot literally no one has ever cared about before yesterday because it’s Tebow.

I feel like my points have been pretty clear ever since I posted in this thread.  I am not "upset" about Tebow being signed, I do not care about the Jags, I am just disputing the claims you guys make every time when you try and act like this had anything to do with football.  It did not.  If Urban Meyer seriously came to the conclusion that Tebow was the best guy available to help his offense, then he is dumb as hell.  But I don't think Meyer did that.  I think he did it because he just really likes Tebow... and that is okay.  

Edited by iknowcool

3 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I think you're underestimating Tebow apologists who still complain about the fair shake he didn't get. 

I think anyone peddling a "fans are going to be calling for Tebow to start the moment Lawrence throws an INT" take unironically needs to get their head checked lol

Edited by JiffyJag

3 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I think you're underestimating how long ago that was.

Tebow will always be a story because of his name, college career, off-field voice/views, but unless you want to take the few people on Twitter without avys or the 20 people (yes, 20 people) who went outside of our stadium back in the day pushing our FO to sign Tebow...it really isn't.

1 minute ago, sammymvpknight said:

I live in Jacksonville. I live in the Mecca of Tebow apologists. Nobody wants to see Tebow start over Lawrence...even if Lawrence is horrible. That's just stupid.

It is stupid. They exist.

I kid you not, we just hired a kid in the warehouse here. Huge Jacksonville fan. Wears a shirt almost every day. He already said he's happy Tebow can be the back up if Lawrence doesn't work out. And that's not even counting the (realistic) trolls on Twitter.