43 members have voted

1. 1. Grade the Pick

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

57 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

A) Media has switched narratives this week.  He is going to be crushed by pressure of saving Nagy/Pace jobs and being Chicago football savior.

LOLOL.....Just goes to show there's more than one "Big Lie" flopping around out there.

4 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Observations:

1) Nobody is talking about Lawrence or Wilson nationally.  Not surprised about Lawrence because Jacksonville is not a media hub, but Wilson?  That is a little surprising.   These guys were consensus 1 and 2 and now nobody has anything to say?    

2) Trey Lance is getting talk, but more because of huge trade to get him and not about the player.    Any other year people would be constant harping on his lack of experience and coming from small school combined.  Huge risk there.  

3) Fields may as well have been number 1 pick in draft for all press he is getting.

A) Media has switched narratives this week.  He is going to be crushed by pressure of saving Nagy/Pace jobs and being Chicago football savior.

I think "The Bears Finally Have a QB in Very Surprising Draft" story is just plain more interesting than "Jacksonville (a hole) gets the QB we all knew they were getting,  movie at 11" Also, Jacksonville essentially created zero drama going into this draft, they may as well have saved all the time and just wrote it in Sharpie in January. 

The Trey Lance situation is just part of a frankly bizarre 49ers draft. If Jacksonville was zero-drama, the 9ers were... not.  First the huge trade, early, then all the **** about not knowing who they were taking, then an offer to GB... it all adds up to a weirdly public spastic front office, or at least it appears so, and why would you deliberately make that appearance? Worried about someone jumping ahead to  get Mac Jones?  Made no sense, looked sloppy. 

The media sources I like are mostly podcasts while I drive around the Cheese Tundra or whatever awesome term Soul has for WI.  I really like Hoge and Jahns, and the Windy City Gridiron ones are both great.  THey are all high on Fields and Jenkins and seem to spend most of their time debating how to build the OL and when to play Fields. Very similar thoughts to the fine folks on here, respectively "with the right guys" and "at the right time" are about the best we can do.  Most think Fields plays around midseason unless something crazy happens.  I'm fine waiting until Nagy thinks it's right, he seems like he's here for a while so should hopefully not rush it. I also hope Fields is ready early, he knows it, and gets Fields in around game 6.  To revisit my profound thought on the draft night "wheee"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

I think "The Bears Finally Have a QB in Very Surprising Draft" story is just plain more interesting than "Jacksonville (a hole) gets the QB we all knew they were getting,  movie at 11" Also, Jacksonville essentially created zero drama going into this draft, they may as well have saved all the time and just wrote it in Sharpie in January. 

The Trey Lance situation is just part of a frankly bizarre 49ers draft. If Jacksonville was zero-drama, the 9ers were... not.  First the huge trade, early, then all the **** about not knowing who they were taking, then an offer to GB... it all adds up to a weirdly public spastic front office, or at least it appears so, and why would you deliberately make that appearance? Worried about someone jumping ahead to  get Mac Jones?  Made no sense, looked sloppy. 

The media sources I like are mostly podcasts while I drive around the Cheese Tundra or whatever awesome term Soul has for WI.  I really like Hoge and Jahns, and the Windy City Gridiron ones are both great.  THey are all high on Fields and Jenkins and seem to spend most of their time debating how to build the OL and when to play Fields. Very similar thoughts to the fine folks on here, respectively "with the right guys" and "at the right time" are about the best we can do.  Most think Fields plays around midseason unless something crazy happens.  I'm fine waiting until Nagy thinks it's right, he seems like he's here for a while so should hopefully not rush it. I also hope Fields is ready early, he knows it, and gets Fields in around game 6.  To revisit my profound thought on the draft night "wheee"

LOLOL.....I thought of all of my "Cheesehead" family and friends up there and also the willingness of natives allowing GB to be called "The Tundra" (it's not that bad, haha) and just fused the two.  The Cheese Tundra just seemed to be a perfect way for a Bears fan to describe GB.  It's a nice enough place to have left years ago and not looked back. 🤣

As for the rest how could the Bears drafting Fields NOT be the big story?  I mean after not having a true All Pro QB since the days of Sid Luckman, passing on both Mahomes and Watson in 2017, having a kid many had pegged as the 2nd best QB in the draft fall out of the top ten, AND getting Dave Gettleman to trade down which he's never done before, how could it not be front page news? 

The Bears finally drafted a top QB.  The rest of the NFL is shocked.  This is like "Miracle on 34th Street".  Santa came to 1920 Football Drive and dropped off a QB at Halas Hall.

LOL

Just thinking out loud here.  I wondering how long before someone writes a story on how Ohio State has never had a QB drafted into the NFL that's been successful and the Bears haven't drafted/developed a franchise QB since the start of the Korean war. 

On 4/30/2021 at 7:15 PM, Uncle Buck said:

I agree.  Mitch was an unfortunate choice.  Good guy, but he just didn't have it.  Fields seems to be the real deal.

Another reason Nagy didn't develop Trubisky is he wasn't his hand selected QB.  Granted Matt should have catered his offense to Mitch's strength but I can't recall that many times a new head coach was brought in to develop someone elses quarterback and it worked out.  Its one thing if a guy already developed and needs help getting over the hump, like when Shanahan came to Elway's Broncos or Dungy came to Manning's Colts.

Fields is Nagy's choice who he will get to mold from day one, which every coach wants in a new QB.

Judging from this analysis that shouldn't be to tough!

4 hours ago, Bfan said:

Just thinking out loud here.  I wondering how long before someone writes a story on how Ohio State has never had a QB drafted into the NFL that's been successful and the Bears haven't drafted/developed a franchise QB since the start of the Korean war. 

i'm fairly confident that that article has already been written somewhere

6 hours ago, Bfan said:

OSU has never been a QB factory.  T-zak wasn't a complete failure like Craig Krenzel but it seems we were gonna keep drafting them anyway 'til found a good one.

On 5/3/2021 at 5:49 AM, Madmike90 said:

Not going through your progressions and holding on to the ball too long are linked tho...it's the chicken and the egg as to what came first...is he going through his progression and it is taking too long so it seems like he is holding the ball too long...or has he worked the progressions but is then locked into a slower developing route and then again has to hold the ball too long...

Not going through his progressions is probably the wrong way to say it...being slower against certain defences or maybe just looking for the biggest shot to open up a little too long rather than taking something underneath is probably a better description...again I agree some of that stuff is buy design and I wouldn't want to take the aggressive deep ball out his game...his clock just needs to speed up a fraction and he will be outstanding.

I actually think the fact that he holds the ball at times shows that he IS working through his progressions. Many of these plays have option 1 being a ball that’s out of the QB’s hands quickly. That’s obviously not happening if he’s holding the ball. 

37 minutes ago, soulman said:

OSU has never been a QB factory.  T-zak wasn't a complete failure like Craig Krenzel but it seems we were gonna keep drafting them anyway 'til found a good one.

The “School X has never produced a great QB” narrative is maybe the laziest one out there. Krenzel and Troy Smith played for Jim Tressel at Ohio State. He hasn’t coached anywhere since Fields was in middle school. Tomczak played for Earle Bruce, and he’s dead now. What became of those prior QBs in the NFL has absolutely nothing to do with Fields and whether or not he’ll succeed in the NFL. TTU had less NFL QB success than Eastern Illinois before Mahomes came along. Evaluate the player, not the helmet. This is basic stuff.  

53 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

The “School X has never produced a great QB” narrative is maybe the laziest one out there. Krenzel and Troy Smith played for Jim Tressel at Ohio State. He hasn’t coached anywhere since Fields was in middle school. Tomczak played for Earle Bruce, and he’s dead now. What became of those prior QBs in the NFL has absolutely nothing to do with Fields and whether or not he’ll succeed in the NFL. TTU had less NFL QB success than Eastern Illinois before Mahomes came along. Evaluate the player, not the helmet. This is basic stuff.  

What I posted had zero to do with Fields. Just speaking fact brother.  Whether it's lazy or not lazy it's basically true.  OSU hasn't produced many NFL QBs.

If you feel I'm wrong post a list of hugely successful OSU QBs.

EDIT:  All I was trying to say in an offhand way is that QB isn't the first position that comes to mind when I think about highly drafted OSU players.

Edited by soulman