Grade the Pick  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Grade the Pick

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Just wanted to pop in here and congratulate you on nailing the draft!

I thought you played it perfectly and found your QB.  I didn't watch a lot of film on the QB's, but from what I saw, you got the second best QB in the draft.  I hope your coaching staff doesn't rush him out there, because he has tons of talent.

Then you turned around and still got a very good tackle.  I did watch him quite a bit.  Thought he could be an upper tier RT.  Not sure about the feet to be a top tier left tackle, but it wouldn't surprise me if he does well over there, too.  Just a very, very solid pick.

Congrats on the draft!

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Just wanted to pop in here and congratulate you on nailing the draft!

I thought you played it perfectly and found your QB.  I didn't watch a lot of film on the QB's, but from what I saw, you got the second best QB in the draft.  I hope your coaching staff doesn't rush him out there, because he has tons of talent.

Then you turned around and still got a very good tackle.  I did watch him quite a bit.  Thought he could be an upper tier RT.  Not sure about the feet to be a top tier left tackle, but it wouldn't surprise me if he does well over there, too.  Just a very, very solid pick.

Congrats on the draft!

Thanks. Normally our draft weekends are not that much fun.

• Like 2

Some nuggets I've discovered while scouring the internet for anything related to Justin Fields:

Roughly the same size and speed as Eddie George when he was coming out of college
(George: 6027 / 235 lbs / 4.49 dash // Fields: 6026 / 227 lbs / 4.44 dash) 

John DeFilippo is already working with Justin Fields on his cadence (curious if they go with "white 80" like KC)

Justin Fields is already working through flash cards on all our formations, shifts and motions.

There's a chance he could hit the ground running in that aspect come Training Camp...

• Like 1

So I thought it would be interesting to really see what we have at QB by going back and looking at the 2018 draft to the potential 2022 draft looking at the first round guys...

2018...Baker Mayfield...Sam Darnold...Josh Allen...Josh Rosen

2019...Kyler Murray...Daniel Jones...Dwayne Haskins

2020...Joe Burrow...Tua Tagovailoa...Justin Herbert...Jordan Love

2021...Trevor Lawrence...Zach Wilson...Trey Lance...Justin Fields...Mac Jones

2022...Spencer Rattler...Sam Howell...Kendon Slovis...Malik Willis

How many of these guys purely as prospects were better than Fields? For me I would have Lawrence and that is it...obviously Allen has went on to really develop but there were a ton of question marks with him...Herbert had an outstanding rookie year but again I don't think many thought he was as good a prospect as Fields is...Wilson & Lance went before Fields this year but I can't find anyone who can 100% tell me why...I don't see what makes either a better prospect that Fields...of these 20 QBs I think we have landed the 2nd best prospect of them all and when you compare his production to Lawrence it all stacks up...pretty crazy how this fell into our lap...

The other thing I would say is as much as it is obviously super early for the 2022 QB class I don't think any of those guys match up to Fields or any of the top 5 guys taken this year.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, soulman said:

Currently that may be accurate but over the years programs at BYU, USC, UCLA, Stanford, Michigan, etc have produced more than a handful of NFL prospects.

Changes in NCAA rules that now allow top prospects to transfer without having to sit out a year before playing also make it tougher for schools to stockpile QB talent.

Fields was initially playing at Georgia.  When he was told Jake Fromm would still be their starter he opted to move to OSU.  Without that rule change maybe it never happens.

So, I would agree that it's far less likely we'll see programs that are "QB Factories" than we have in the past and the Big Ten may finally get more top ranked QBs like Fields.

Fields transferring is two fold. first, i believe that fields thought he was a superior qb to fromm, but with fromm "entrenched" as the starter for another year, fields didn't want to play second fiddle to a guy he believed (and proved) to be better. the 2019 seasons for both qbs proves that. second, the transfer rule of not having to sit out a year just started this year. fields was granted a hardship waiver that allowed him to transfer without sitting out because a member of the georgia baseball team was found to be overtly racist and directing racial epithets against him

Not sure why this has just sprung to mind but who was Ryan Day before he Ryan Day and by that I mean who was the OC under Urban Meyer? That's right Tom Herman...you have to think some of the things Herman helped install at OSU Fields will be used too so he could be an important bridge in that room.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

Fields transferring is two fold. first, i believe that fields thought he was a superior qb to fromm, but with fromm "entrenched" as the starter for another year, fields didn't want to play second fiddle to a guy he believed (and proved) to be better. the 2019 seasons for both qbs proves that. second, the transfer rule of not having to sit out a year just started this year. fields was granted a hardship waiver that allowed him to transfer without sitting out because a member of the georgia baseball team was found to be overtly racist and directing racial epithets against him

Maybe I'm just suspicious by my nature but I'm putting this under "where there's a will, there's a way".  Or as in, you want out?  OK, we'll figure a way to get it done.  Trust not the NCAA to be honest and fair minded in all things.  OSU carries a lot of clout.

8 minutes ago, soulman said:

Maybe I'm just suspicious by my nature but I'm putting this under "where there's a will, there's a way".  Or as in, you want out?  OK, we'll figure a way to get it done.  Trust not the NCAA to be honest and fair minded in all things.  OSU carries a lot of clout.

The baseball player got kicked off the team and if I remember right out of school for the incident so there must have been something substantial behind it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, soulman said:

Fields was initially playing at Georgia.  When he was told Jake Fromm would still be their starter he opted to move to OSU.  Without that rule change maybe it never happens.

Yeah...what sort of moron does it take to favor Fromm over Fields? Yikes. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, G08 said:

Justin Fields is already working through flash cards on all our formations, shifts and motions.

There's a chance he could hit the ground running in that aspect come Training Camp...

He had the highest possible Wonderlic score, if I'm not mistaken. Praised all around for being a Brainiac kid. 

Bodes well, for whenever he becomes the starter.

7 hours ago, G08 said:

They're always fun, the results just sometimes suck (Kevin mf'ing White)

Last year was flat-out torture. Nothing fun, at all, about it. 

5 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

So I thought it would be interesting to really see what we have at QB by going back and looking at the 2018 draft to the potential 2022 draft looking at the first round guys...

2018...Baker Mayfield...Sam Darnold...Josh Allen...Josh Rosen

2019...Kyler Murray...Daniel Jones...Dwayne Haskins

2020...Joe Burrow...Tua Tagovailoa...Justin Herbert...Jordan Love

2021...Trevor Lawrence...Zach Wilson...Trey Lance...Justin Fields...Mac Jones

2022...Spencer Rattler...Sam Howell...Kendon Slovis...Malik Willis

How many of these guys purely as prospects were better than Fields? 

Better? I mean...it's so damn close with a bunch of them. IMO, "slightly better" prospects would have been Mayfield and Lawrence. That's all. 

28 minutes ago, soulman said:

I like the fact the NCAA has become less draconian in its transfer protocols. That helps everybody out, really. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Better? I mean...it's so damn close with a bunch of them. IMO, "slightly better" prospects would have been Mayfield and Lawrence. That's all.

Mayfield? Oh hell no hahahaha (I have just never liked the guy hahahah)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Mayfield? Oh hell no hahahaha (I have just never liked the guy hahahah)

To each their own.

I'm not denying the guy is sort of an *******, though. But he has won two playoff games already, right? I think it's two. 

Edited by Heinz D.

35 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

The baseball player got kicked off the team and if I remember right out of school for the incident so there must have been something substantial behind it.

Oh I'm not saying it didn't happen only that it provided say we say a rather convenient out for the NCAA to waive a rule.  How many other college players who aren't named Justin Fields are subject to racist insults or slurs but don't get the same benefit?

Racism seems to be the second most popular past time in American right now.

• Like 1