43 members have voted

1. 1. Grade the Pick

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

On 4/30/2021 at 12:16 PM, G08 said:

What is up Allbright's *** about Fields? Am I missing something? Is there some character issue? 

Old post I know, but I just saw it lol.

I've never read a single thing regarding character concerns. Quite the opposite, actually, so I highly doubt that's it. It's a question that may or may never be answered, much like why so many teams passed on Mahomes and Watson.

I really don't care why teams passed on him. All I know is that I'm glad they did and when it's all said and done I think we find out that Ben isn't all that bright to begin with.

3 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Old post I know, but I just saw it lol.

I've never read a single thing regarding character concerns. Quite the opposite, actually, so I highly doubt that's it. It's a question that may or may never be answered, much like why so many teams passed on Mahomes and Watson.

I really don't care why teams passed on him. All I know is that I'm glad they did and when it's all said and done I think we find out that Ben isn't all that bright to begin with.

I see what you did there 😏

• Like 3

Cutler on whether Fields should start week 1

Some things here for both sides:

“I remember the first game (of the season) and there were rumblings that I might play,” Cutler said. “And I was like, ‘I don’t even know what’s happening here. Let’s figure this thing out for a minute.’ We were in the old dome in St. Louis (in Week 1) and it was insanely loud. We had a million checks that game (as an offense). We were checking everything. And none of it worked.

“We got beat down that game (18-10). But I was like, if I go in this game, they better dial it back to Day One or I’m screwed.”

“Asked if he benefitted from sitting for a prolonged stretch to start his career, Cutler said he felt equipped to play but hadn’t gotten the starter’s reps through training camp or into Week 1.

“I need the reps. I need to see it,” Cutler said. “I didn’t take the reps so I wasn’t ready to play. But I also feel like it benefitted me tremendously watching it. Seeing the ups and downs. Seeing us lose games. Seeing us win games.”

There wasn’t a follow up asking if he thought he’d have been ready week 1 had he gotten those reps during TC and preseason and practice, and I didn’t listen to the interview, but I’d have been interested to hear his answer to that.

Nothing here really changes things on either side of the argument IMO. Every QB still develops differently. Cutler sat almost a whole year and had all the physical ability in the world and still was only a serviceable starter, but also came in into a different era of the NFL where the game was less QB-friendly (IMO), with a different college experience coming from a program not known for churning out NFL talent, and with different tools around him. Fields didn’t play in the SEC week to week (though the Big Ten is no slouch), but also got to practice the entirety of his college career against NFL defensive talent at Georgia and Ohio State. I don’t think him starting week 1 against the Rams would be throwing him to the wolves as much as, say, Zach Wilson in NY coming from BYU. But, what NY does with Wilson doesn’t and shouldn’t have anything to do with what we do with Fields either. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Cutler on whether Fields should start week 1

Some things here for both sides:

“I remember the first game (of the season) and there were rumblings that I might play,” Cutler said. “And I was like, ‘I don’t even know what’s happening here. Let’s figure this thing out for a minute.’ We were in the old dome in St. Louis (in Week 1) and it was insanely loud. We had a million checks that game (as an offense). We were checking everything. And none of it worked.

“We got beat down that game (18-10). But I was like, if I go in this game, they better dial it back to Day One or I’m screwed.”

“Asked if he benefitted from sitting for a prolonged stretch to start his career, Cutler said he felt equipped to play but hadn’t gotten the starter’s reps through training camp or into Week 1.

“I need the reps. I need to see it,” Cutler said. “I didn’t take the reps so I wasn’t ready to play. But I also feel like it benefitted me tremendously watching it. Seeing the ups and downs. Seeing us lose games. Seeing us win games.”

There wasn’t a follow up asking if he thought he’d have been ready week 1 had he gotten those reps during TC and preseason and practice, and I didn’t listen to the interview, but I’d have been interested to hear his answer to that.

Nothing here really changes things on either side of the argument IMO. Every QB still develops differently. Cutler sat almost a whole year and had all the physical ability in the world and still was only a serviceable starter, but also came in into a different era of the NFL where the game was less QB-friendly (IMO), with a different college experience coming from a program not known for churning out NFL talent, and with different tools around him. Fields didn’t play in the SEC week to week (though the Big Ten is no slouch), but also got to practice the entirety of his college career against NFL defensive talent at Georgia and Ohio State. I don’t think him starting week 1 against the Rams would be throwing him to the wolves as much as, say, Zach Wilson in NY coming from BYU. But, what NY does with Wilson doesn’t and shouldn’t have anything to do with what we do with Fields either. 

The key to a young Qb playing is two things and I think this has really been instituted last 5 years or so by more savy NFL coaches and is being smartly copied by some:

1) Practicing and using the overlapping plays with your offense and offense he ran in college as a base so you have a functioning starting point.    This gives him room to learn vocab and to huddle, etc.  

2) Giving him starter practice reps to expand that base.   You have 5 months and a month or training camp.   It is doable.  

3) Keep expanding it slightly throughout season.  

That seems to be the best formula.  It gets you playing experience now and lets you be effective from jump.  

Nagy seems to have missed the memo and is trying to relive the Mahomes/Smith year.  I disagree strongly on that route.  

Fields is never going to sit for a year in Chicago.   It just isn't going to happen.  That is a pure fantasy plan.  

Perhaps after Covid year Nagy forgets what it is like to have 60k screaming their displeasure at you for 3 hours.   His losing streak last year would have been a whole different experience.

• Like 3

On 5/25/2021 at 1:15 PM, HuskieBear said:

yeah, pretty sure it was confirmed a day or two after the first round. i think it's @soulmanthat's already received his

LOL.....well thanks for the tout but I'm not a jersey buyer type.  What would I do with one?

My days of heading out to the sports bars to watch have subsided and COVID quashed it completely last season.  There's another couple in my building who are also big Bears fans and we may watch a few games together this season but we don't wear jerseys either.

However, I do have Bears windbreaker, a Bears hat, and a leather Bear bomber jacket I do wear so often the guys at my liquor store call me Mr. Chicago.  😁

• Like 1

Tua Tagovailoa said that he had to run a scaled back playbook (without checks, etc) in 2020.

Just like Jay Cutler said he would have had to do the same if he played as a rookie.

Is this starting to make sense to those who want Fields to start right away? This **** isn't easy and we run one of the more complicated systems in all of football.

Edited by G08
  • Like 2

Tom Brady said it took him until half-way through the year to fully learn and feel comfortable with Bruce Arians' playbook.

Tom ******* Brady.

The GOAT.

He of 324 NFL starts and 7 Super Bowl rings.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, G08 said:

Tom Brady said it took him until half-way through the year to fully learn and feel comfortable with Bruce Arians' playbook.

Tom ******* Brady.

The GOAT.

He of 324 NFL starts and 7 Super Bowl rings.

Brady should have sat for a year and learned behind Jameis Winston then played when he was properly ready. 

• Like 3

Just now, dll2000 said:

Brady should have sat for a year and learned behind Jameis Winston then played when he was properly ready. 

That's cute, but you're completely ignoring the facts of what I said.

Jameis Winston was in New Orleans at the time as well 😇

Edited by G08

1 minute ago, G08 said:

That's cute, but you're completely ignoring the facts of what I said.

No I didn't.  I just interpreted the facts not to your liking and gave an illustration.  

Brady learned by doing and got better in process.   Tampa was bad offensively early and got better by end of year. 

Exactly what I am advocating for Fields. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Yeah, damn.....Bruce Arians should've gotten fired over that.  😉

While there is a huge difference in talent between Dalton and Brady I think we can assume much the same may happen here this fall.

Neither QB will have had time to digest the entire playbook so we'll still be running a pared down version but which one can more adequately handle line checks and audibles best.  If Fields can do all of that as well then he should be the #1 QB.

Looking at the beef they now have on the OL and Montgomery's performance at the end of the last season I'm guessing we may see a resurgence of the running game to start the year regardless of who is the QB.

40 minutes ago, soulman said:

Yeah, damn.....Bruce Arians should've gotten fired over that.  😉

While there is a huge difference in talent between Dalton and Brady I think we can assume much the same may happen here this fall.

Neither QB will have had time to digest the entire playbook so we'll still be running a pared down version but which one can more adequately handle line checks and audibles best.  If Fields can do all of that as well then he should be the #1 QB.

But that's thing.   I don't care that Dalton played for Lazor once.   We don't know if it is same stuff or if he remembers. 

I can't remember stuff from a different job I did many years ago.   

If it was sit behind Trubisky that would be totally different.   Trubisky knows offense, he can take less reps in practice.  Maybe Foles too.     

Dalton needs a lot of time to acclimate too.   Just like Glennon did.

Making Dalton starter to me is stupid for a number of reasons.  You are setting Dalton and Bears and to a lessor extent Fields up for failure in 2021 doing it this way.

Dalton is likely to fail and Fields will not have had as much time as he could have had in practice when he gets forced in.

And he will get forced in when Dalton fails.   They aren't going to put Foles in if Dalton starts losing.  It will be Fields.

• Like 1