NFL Snooze News: Volume Four, Por Favor

Heimdallr

41 minutes ago, Purplexing said:

What lesson should we take from this incident, going into the draft in a few months?

Hint: highly talented players aren't valuable if they are not on the field due to legal issues. 

Let's do the math:

High talent times zero playing minutes = no talent contribution to the team.

We took a pretty big chance on a guy named Dalvin Cook with a history of off the field stuff throughout his life.

10 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

We took a pretty big chance on a guy named Dalvin Cook with a history of off the field stuff throughout his life.

I saw a few posts during the 2017 off season that said it wasn't a big risk.  Which is it?  Big risk?  Small risk?

I recall my specific response to the comments by sports analysts, which pointed to the crowd with which he ran; i.e. "too many brothas' spoiled the Cook".  (it's a twist on an old cliche about too many cooks in the kitchen...).    I used the input I got from reading one or two articles about him by credible national sports journalists who did their due diligence in analyzing his problems, unlike the hacks in Mpls who simply ignored the issue or under-reported it because of their homerism and blind support of anything the Vikings Front Office does (e.g. AP).

I expect the usual replies from people who aren't part of this direct conversation.   I ignore them because there are underlying motives involved, which is evident in their continuing, unwavering support of ownership and management of the Vikings whenever anyone criticizes them in public.  

The difference in the risks is reduced to the following: removing the bad influences on Cook was a potential solution vs. individuals who are involved in domestic abuse are nearly always doing those things alone, with no influence from a bad posse.  Guns, drugs, unethical behavior, and violence in public places are more complex issues, and involve a bad upbringing, more so than bad current influences; e.g. Love Boat, Darren Sharper, A Peterson, Club Tabu, etc.

PS Thanks for a thoughtful reply, absent an emotional or sarcastic response.

Edited by Purplexing
added PS
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I thought Dalvin Cook was well past his troubled history when we drafted him? 

Define 'well past'.  Some people worry about past behavior for longer periods of time than others.  I wonder how many years of staying away from bad influences will be enough for Cook to stay straight?  I assume he is past the bad behavior due to running with the wrong guys.   But, temptation is strong.  One comforting thing is the positive influence of Zimmer on players, which is different from less strict Vikings coaches from the past.  And, some vets on the Vikings are likely helpful, but I don't know who that might be on offense... Rudolph, Berger? 

1 hour ago, Purplexing said:

Define 'well past'.  Some people worry about past behavior for longer periods of time than others.  I wonder how many years of staying away from bad influences will be enough for Cook to stay straight?  I assume he is past the bad behavior due to running with the wrong guys.   But, temptation is strong.  One comforting thing is the positive influence of Zimmer on players, which is different from less strict Vikings coaches from the past.  And, some vets on the Vikings are likely helpful, but I don't know who that might be on offense... Rudolph, Berger? 

It was Teddy Bridgewater and Terrance Newman who helped him, from what I read.

Well past is indicative of the time that passed (I don't know the exact dates, but it was a couple years) and the positive influences that broke him from his poor behavior.

12 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

It was Teddy Bridgewater and Terrance Newman who helped him, from what I read.

Well past is indicative of the time that passed (I don't know the exact dates, but it was a couple years) and the positive influences that broke him from his poor behavior.

Thanx 4 the 411.  I wasn't looking for a specific date DC turned the corner on his behavior.  It had to be a collegiate coach or mentor if your guess was about 2 years ago, or 2 years prior to the 2017 NFL draft.  So, the odds of recidivism are low, and the Vikings scouting process did their due diligence on the reasons for his past trouble(s).  How much continuing positive  influence on him is needed is anybody's guess because anything could happen.   I hope another vet gets involved if Newman retires, to keep him on the straight & narrow path to success.   Some fans dismiss or don't realize the unseen influence of vets on rookies and younger players when they assess the value of vets in their off season mocks.  Hence, Sherels, Newman, Robison, Sendejo, Berger, Greenway, etc. lingered on the Vikings rosters over the past few years, past the days many fans projected them to be cut in favor of rookies/ younger players.  When you think about it, some folks behavior isn't perplexing at all. 

• Like 1

With the Chiefs adding veteran cornerback David Amerson and, officially in three weeks, acquiring cornerback Kendall Fuller as part of the Alex Smith trade, some in league circles are wondering whether the Chiefs will be making another transaction involving a cornerback. The question being asked is whether Marcus Peters, a first-round pick in 2015, is available in trade.

Subject to a fifth-year option, the Chiefs (or whoever holds his contractual rights) will have to decide by early May whether to extend the contract through 2019. As the new league year approaches, Peters has become a name to watch for a possible trade — especially with the guy who drafted him four years ago now the G.M. in Cleveland.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/18/is-marcus-peters-available-in-trade/

14 hours ago, vike daddy said:

With the Chiefs adding veteran cornerback David Amerson and, officially in three weeks, acquiring cornerback Kendall Fuller as part of the Alex Smith trade, some in league circles are wondering whether the Chiefs will be making another transaction involving a cornerback. The question being asked is whether Marcus Peters, a first-round pick in 2015, is available in trade.

Subject to a fifth-year option, the Chiefs (or whoever holds his contractual rights) will have to decide by early May whether to extend the contract through 2019. As the new league year approaches, Peters has become a name to watch for a possible trade — especially with the guy who drafted him four years ago now the G.M. in Cleveland.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/18/is-marcus-peters-available-in-trade/

Can't see that happening.