NFL Snooze News: Volume Four, Por Favor

Heimdallr

7 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

That’s too bad. I was in favor of the rule change. I think spot fouls are ridiculous. 

I do too, but at the same time, it would really hurt the deep passing game because CB's could just tackle the WR if they think they are beat deep.

There should be two levels... "incidental" DPI (15 yards) that is for typical during the course of play, and "intentional" (personal foul, spot foul), where it is clear the CB intentionally takes down the WR because he was beat. 2 of those in a game is an ejection. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

That’s too bad. I was in favor of the rule change. I think spot fouls are ridiculous. 

I agree.  Far too often, it can completely change a game.  And when you don't allow the DBs to do pretty much anything against the WRs, penalizing them so much for such a subjective call, it's doubling-down on them.  I've always wanted to see the pendulum swing back a little for the defense, instead of making the game so one-sided rules-wise for the offense.  

22 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I agree. So many advantages for the offense. Another one that really bothers me is on 3rd and 5+ yards and a DB gets called for holding/illegal contact and  that 5 yard penalty results in an automatic 1st down. 

Edited by VikeManDan

5 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

but at the same time, it would really hurt the deep passing game because CB's could just tackle the WR if they think they are beat deep.

Would it? Has it affected the college game? Would it affect the deep passing game any less than the deep shots that QBs take soley for the purpose of drawing a cheap PI call?

Most CBs that get beat grab now as it is. They simply get called for holding and take the 5 yard penalty. 

Edited by SemperFeist

The bidding price for the Panthers has reached $2.5 billion, which would be a record selling price for a U.S. sports franchise, Scott Soshnick of Bloomberg reports.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/03/21/panthers-bidding-price-record-over-two-billion

With that franchise going for that price, I bet Zygi and Mark are just rubbing their hands together and prepping for tthis:

giphy.gif

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

There should be two levels... "incidental" DPI (15 yards) that is for typical during the course of play, and "intentional" (personal foul, spot foul), where it is clear the CB intentionally takes down the WR because he was beat. 2 of those in a game is an ejection. 

Could you imagine adding another judgement call to the refs on this? More reasons for fans to hate the refs.

13 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Could you imagine adding another judgement call to the refs on this? More reasons for fans to hate the refs.

It'd be like how there was two levels of the facemask call (which should never have changed)

1 hour ago, Klomp said:

It'd be like how there was two levels of the facemask call (which should never have changed)

It should have changed. The problem is that officials don’t follow the rule as it’s written. 

We see far too many face mask penalties get called today for what used to be the 5 yard variety. With the rule change, those types of face mask penalties should never be called. Incidental touching of the face mask is not supposed to be a penalty. Unfortunately, officials don’t call it correctly. 

9 hours ago, disaacs said:

I agree.  Far too often, it can completely change a game.  And when you don't allow the DBs to do pretty much anything against the WRs, penalizing them so much for such a subjective call, it's doubling-down on them.  I've always wanted to see the pendulum swing back a little for the defense, instead of making the game so one-sided rules-wise for the offense.  

If there isn't a spot foul, the Saints Safety just tackles Diggs (as he was trying to avoid a PI when he dove out of the way) and it's just a 15 yard penalty and the Minneapolis Miracle never happens.

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

If there isn't a spot foul, the Saints Safety just tackles Diggs (as he was trying to avoid a PI when he dove out of the way) and it's just a 15 yard penalty and the Minneapolis Miracle never happens.

A fluke play shouldn’t be the justification for a bad rule.