Round 5: Pick 173; Tedarrell Slaton DT, Florida

On 6/26/2021 at 12:56 PM, Joe said:

Again, the reason the Harrell pick was dumb was simply because a healthy Greg Olsen was on the board and you had a much greater need at that position. The was a gamble and not like the Rashan Gary type of gamble where you think the player will be a better pro than college player either. 

Young me agrees with you.  I remember that draft well.  Olsen was a great prospect coming out and we had a need at tight end.  I wanted Olsen badly.  I saw the guy run the jugs drill.  Where there were 4 machines set up around him at least).  He had to chop his feet, catch a ball, drop it, then turn and catch another ball....over and over and over again.

He caught everything and moved so fast that he was ahead of the machines.  He yelled at the machines to "go faster!!!"  Young me was impressed and amazed by him.

But...then age sets in.  When you have the opportunity at a "plus" big man on the DL, well, that is more valuable than a tight end.  And...more valuable than a WR.

And yes, we were linked to Meachem, not Olsen (sadly).

So, I get what you are saying and I kind of agree, I wanted Olsen badly.  But, it is hard to argue against the big man.  

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Vince Young Wonderlic Score

That is mean! I think it was the wonderlic that got him not the game itself. If he'd have played enough I think he would have been the greatest off schedule QB ever. The reason being, nothing would have been on schedule because he didn't know the playbook. 

38 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

That is meen! I think it was the wonderlic that gat him not the game it self. If he'd have played enuff I think he a would a been the gratest off schedule QB ever. The reason bean, nuthing would have been on schedule cuz he didn't a know the play thingie. 

Put it into Vince speak for you.

All fun.  Still the best Rose Bowl game that I have ever seen.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Put it into Vince speak for you.

All fun.  Still the best Rose Bowl game that I have ever seen.

Might be the best bowl game I've ever seen regardless of which one. 

Edited by Old Guy
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Might be the best bowl game I've ever seen regardless of which one. 

It's that and the Boise Oklahoma game.

I take the Boise win but it's only because of the underdog story and the trick **** and I'm a sucker for that 

That Rose bowl game though man...I just watched both of them not long ago again too

• Like 2

16 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

@Norm I'm guessing this is the game (2007 Fiesta Bowl).

That was a great watch, even though it was just 22 mins of highlights on youtube.

Whole thing is on YT somewhere. I watched it maybe a month ago on there fyi

2 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

He didn’t have it mentally and wasn’t a great thrower. He started 3 games for Philly and that’s it.

I think situation dictates more than anything. Put Rashan Gary with a coaching staff that didn’t believe in him/wasn’t able to teach to players with dyslexia and he’s probably at the bottom of some depth chart labeled as a bust. Imagine Vince Young with a coaching staff that was able to create an offense he could thrive in and he’d be awesome.

Some players have IMMENSE talent but due to situation they languish and don’t develop.

It’s all hypothetical but just my opinion. Young was generational, Ted Thompson called him Michael Jordan.

4 minutes ago, deathstar said:

I think situation dictates more than anything. Put Rashan Gary with a coaching staff that didn’t believe in him/wasn’t able to teach to players with dyslexia and he’s probably at the bottom of some depth chart labeled as a bust. Imagine Vince Young with a coaching staff that was able to create an offense he could thrive in and he’d be awesome.

Some players have IMMENSE talent but due to situation they languish and don’t develop.

It’s all hypothetical but just my opinion. Young was generational, Ted Thompson called him Michael Jordan.

I understand your point. And in some cases I agree. The fact that nobody really gave him a shot after makes me believe Vince Young just didn’t have it .