Round 5: Pick 173; Tedarrell Slaton DT, Florida

6 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Cullen Jenkins? Johnny Jolly? Corey Williams? All about the same age as Donnell Washington. Williams and Jolly were 6th round picks, Jenkins was a free agent. 

"Personally I like Slaton, happy we drafted him.  I'm just setting the bar really low for him.  The first step for him is simply making the roster.  Then let's see if he performs well enough in practice to get a few game snaps."

10 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

"Personally I like Slaton, happy we drafted him.  I'm just setting the bar really low for him.  The first step for him is simply making the roster.  Then let's see if he performs well enough in practice to get a few game snaps."

Was replying to this part of your quote. Pointing out you missed some D-linemen in the timeframe of players you referred where we did actually develop guys.

"I dig the optimism regarding "pro bowl", but realistically we've seen little proof that in GB that it will happen.  Adams was a bust.  Kenny Peterson.  Jerel Worthy.  Donnell Washington.  James Lee.

And many of those guys were drafted well ahead of the 5'th round.  

Could he just need a little coaching?  Sure.  So could those other guys.  Outside of Daniels (and Clark), we've failed in developing DL."

God I hate this.

Since you wish me to go back to 2004 for crying out loud, here we go.

04-Corey Williams. 6th round.  Tagged and tradded then heard of no more.

05- Michael Montgomery.  6th round.  JAG.

06- Jolly, 6th round.  Tollefson-7th round.  Jolly was a fine NFL player.  Tollefson hung around a while, didn't amount to much.

2007- Harrel.  First round.  Whiff.

08-Thompson.  4th round.  Thinking there was an injury that helped created that whiff.

09- Wynn.  6th round.  Raji-first.  We know what BJ did, probably should have been much better than he actually was.  Wynn, whiff.

10- Wilson, 7th.  Neal, second.  Wilson was fine depth, nothing more.  Neal was pretty bad.

11- Guy, 7th.  Elmore, 6th.  Guy has carved out a great career for himself, after doing nothing here.  Honestly, can't even remember Elmore.

12- Daniels, 4th.  Worthy, 2nd.  We know who hit and who didn't.

13- Boyd, 5th.  Jones, 1st.  Neither were anything.

15-Ringo, 6th.  Who?

16- Clark, first.  Lowry, 4th.  Clark is a huge hit, Lowry has been fine, better than fine given his draft position.

17- Adams, 3rd.  Icky.

18- Looney, 7th.  Yuck, but whatever, he was a flier we took a chance on.

19-Keke, 5th.  This is gonna be his breakout year.  No sarcasm, just stating a fact.

So, again,  "Personally I like Slaton, happy we drafted him.  I'm just setting the bar really low for him.  The first step for him is simply making the roster.  Then let's see if he performs well enough in practice to get a few game snaps."

14 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

God I hate this.

Since you wish me to go back to 2004 for crying out loud, here we go.

04-Corey Williams. 6th round.  Tagged and tradded then heard of no more.

05- Michael Montgomery.  6th round.  JAG.

06- Jolly, 6th round.  Tollefson-7th round.  Jolly was a fine NFL player.  Tollefson hung around a while, didn't amount to much.

08-Thompson.  4th round.  Thinking there was an injury that helped created that whiff.

09- Wynn.  6th round.  Raji-first.  We know what BJ did, probably should have been much better than he actually was.  Wynn, whiff.

10- Wilson, 7th.  Neal, second.  Wilson was fine depth, nothing more.  Neal was pretty bad.

11- Guy, 7th.  Elmore, 6th.  Guy has carved out a great career for himself, after doing nothing here.  Honestly, can't even remember Elmore.

12- Daniels, 4th.  Worthy, 2nd.  We know who hit and who didn't.

13- Boyd, 5th.  Jones, 1st.  Neither were anything.

15-Ringo, 6th.  Who?

16- Clark, first.  Lowry, 4th.  Clark is a huge hit, Lowry has been fine, better than fine given his draft position.

17- Adams, 3rd.  Icky.

18- Looney, 7th.  Yuck, but whatever, he was a flier we took a chance on.

19-Keke, 5th.  This is gonna be his breakout year.  No sarcasm, just stating a fact.

So, again,  "Personally I like Slaton, happy we drafted him.  I'm just setting the bar really low for him.  The first step for him is simply making the roster.  Then let's see if he performs well enough in practice to get a few game snaps."

I feel for you @vegas492, you are just trying to stay even keel about a day 3 draft pick and some want to take you to task for it. Yet some of these same people will be at the head of the line to run the guy out of town when he doesn't reach Pro Bowl status as they have predicted. It will be awesome if he is a serviceable player like a Dean Lowry, but that wouldn't be enough to be kept from being labeled a bust for them.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Norm said:

I kept meaning to post this and maybe a did, but reading this thread being bumped about every day, most of the posts just have me going "okay cool but why did he last until the 5th then?"

Combination of stuff IMO.  He's still a developmental prospect as parts of his game are lacking, NTs are not premium picks in 2021, played on some bad teams, is a different player with the weight down which came later in his career, and he rarely got third down snaps which affects his stats/perception/ability to work on his rush game.  Draft is always crowded with mid-tier development talent, and he's had a hard time finding his spot to stand out.  

Edited by MrBobGray
  • Like 2

On 6/18/2021 at 3:39 PM, vegas492 said:

It feels weird to give the Thompson pick a pass due to injury but not the Harrell pick.  I'm still convinced that without that back injury, Harrell would have been a good one.

• Like 2

On 6/18/2021 at 3:18 PM, Old Guy said:

Was replying to this part of your quote. Pointing out you missed some D-linemen in the timeframe of players you referred where we did actually develop guys.

"I dig the optimism regarding "pro bowl", but realistically we've seen little proof that in GB that it will happen.  Adams was a bust.  Kenny Peterson.  Jerel Worthy.  Donnell Washington.  James Lee.

And many of those guys were drafted well ahead of the 5'th round.  

Could he just need a little coaching?  Sure.  So could those other guys.  Outside of Daniels (and Clark), we've failed in developing DL."

Agreed on DL with Daniels and Clark but Keke will be another if he can not get concussions. 

16 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

It feels weird to give the Thompson pick a pass due to injury but not the Harrell pick.  I'm still convinced that without that back injury, Harrell would have been a good one.

I agree with you.  The only reason I put Harrel into a "whiff" category was that his injury struggles were well documented in college.  Thompson?  I can't really remember if he was often injured in college, I thought his career ender came as a Packer, kind of like that receiver whose name escapes me right now.

12 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

The only reason I put Harrel into a "whiff" category was that his injury struggles were well documented in college. 

For Harrell all of his college injuries where things that were not really a big deal once they heal (the torn bicep, some ankle sprains).  What happened with him was that at the time the S&C coach was pushing guys too hard (the Packers had a historical number of injuries with him) leading to the back injury which is not something you come back from as a big man.

On 6/18/2021 at 4:18 PM, Old Guy said:

Montgomery is still relatively new as the DL coach and I'm sure Joe Barry is going to be focused on reforming that group with a new approach.

23 minutes ago, Joe said:

Montgomery is still relatively new as the DL coach and I'm sure Joe Barry is going to be focused on reforming that group with a new approach.

Joe,

That is actually not my quote. I quoted i believe Vegas, thus he quotation marks around the sentence. All good though. 

On 6/21/2021 at 9:02 AM, PossibleCabbage said:

For Harrell all of his college injuries where things that were not really a big deal once they heal (the torn bicep, some ankle sprains).  What happened with him was that at the time the S&C coach was pushing guys too hard (the Packers had a historical number of injuries with him) leading to the back injury which is not something you come back from as a big man.

Yeah, if memory served he slipped a disc doing something like 1K leg presses. 

16 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

Yeah, if memory served he slipped a disc doing something like 1K leg presses. 

That rings a bell.

I thought, though, that he recovered from that enough to start playing, then hurt it again blocking on the field goal unit.

Harrell was damaged goods from the get-go and easily the biggest mistake the team had made since Tony Mandarich. You have Greg Olsen on the board and you desperately need a TE who would've been a beast in that offense at the time, so instead you draft an injured DT who was probably carrying too much unhealthy weight when you are now running a 3-4 with a prime Ryan Pickett with solid IDL around him already. Dumb...