Recapping the 2021 Draft (Post-Draft Talk)

58 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

C Grade- chance to move to B grade if 2 of the 3-6  round picks become starters or key depth 

This we gotta get these guys on the field.

No more Bowden or muse waste of a pick.

grade really depends on leatherwood we need him to be legit or the rest of the draft almost doesn’t matter

If I’m in the GM chair this would have been my selections: 

Round 1 - Christian Darrisaw

Round 2 - Jeremiah Owusu-Koromoah

Round 3 - Ronnie Perkins 
Round 3 - Daviyon Nixon 
Round 4 - Jamar Johnson 
Round 5 - Stone Forsythe 
Round 7 - Jaime Newman 

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

I just don't get how someone can think Leatherwood was better Darrisaw if they dead set on attacking a need at tackle. Going be interesting to see how they both play. Not like Leatherwood was a college RT, they are both converting over to a new position. 

Because Darrisaw has attitude concerns meanwhile Leatherwood is a Bama captain and 3 year starter.  Leatherwood has also played RG so so he's played on the right side before. 

I'll preface this by saying I do like most of the players individually but when all said and done on a team that's gutted it's OL and had a historically bad D to come out of the draft with only 2 really viable potential starters is disappointing. Sure, some guys may be forced into starting due to injuries etc. But we got no DT to compete, no WR to compete, no SLB option at all by the looks of it, no outside CB to compete. Even a couple years down the line with development does anyone feel we have drafted any potential starters other than Moehrig and Leatherwood?

I would have liked to have picked up a guy like Nixon at DT who has the potential to start in a couple years or Browning at LB who has the potential to start at SLB or an OG who could compete with Simpson to replace Incognito next year. What I feared really, lots of STs and depth players even by projection.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, OnlyGlove said:

Because Darrisaw has attitude concerns meanwhile Leatherwood is a Bama captain and 3 year starter.  Leatherwood has also played RG so so he's played on the right side before. 

Hmmmm I’ve watched many Darrisaw interviews. One of my favorite characters of the whole draft. Do you have any examples besides “he said she said” smoke reports?

Edited by BayRaider

1 minute ago, Darbsk said:

I'll preface this by saying I do like most of the players individually but when all said and done on a team that's gutted it's OL and had a historically bad D to come out of the draft with only 2 really viable potential starters is disappointing. Sure, some guys may be forced into starting due to injuries etc. But we got no DT to compete, no WR to compete, no SLB option at all by the looks of it, no outside CB to compete. Even a couple years down the line with development does anyone feel we have drafted any potential starters other than Moehrig and Leatherwood?

I would have liked to have picked up a guy like Nixon at DT who has the potential to start in a couple years or Browning at LB who has the potential to start at SLB or an OG who could compete with Simpson to replace Incognito next year. What I feared really, lots of STs and depth players even by projection.

Nixon taken in the 5th has the potential to start but Deablo, Noonce, Gillespie don’t ? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OldManWillis said:

Recap: Day 2 was a winner for me. Lots of potential with this class. Feel we did get a few good starters, and overall the team did get better. 

Fave Pick: Moehrig 

Least Fave: Leatherwood (Draft value not player)

Sleeper Pick: Hobbs (Gut feeling he's starting sooner then later)

Best Part: Abram is on notice, Leavitt is as good as gone. We have some real safeties now.

P.S.

Front Office really must have hated this years DT class. Thought there were a few opportunities to add one. With the lack of new talent drafted and the fact no DT are under contract after the season I'm Calling it right now, next yrs 1st round pick will be a DT.

The problem with this strategy is that 1st year DT’s don’t usually make much of an impact. Would have made more sense to take one this year and give them a year of grooming to make an impact next year. I liked Nixon in the 3rd for that. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, jpaulthe1st said:

The problem with this strategy is that 1st year DT’s don’t usually make much of an impact. Would have made more sense to take one this year and give them a year of grooming to make an impact next year. I liked Nixon in the 3rd for that. 

could sign a DT in free agency in 2022

11 minutes ago, Dessie said:

Nixon taken in the 5th has the potential to start but Deablo, Noonce, Gillespie don’t ? 

Yes, Nixon has the potential to start in a coupe years IMO if course. I really like his potential. Coonce has very little chance to start even in a number of years IMO, purely a rotation and depth guy as he lacks bulk, strength and leverage and can't hold the point if attack. Deablo may compete at WLB but we've already gotten Littleton and Morrow there who will be better. I don't see how he would start at SLB with being able to stack, shed or hold up against at the run. I do like him but he looks like #3 WLB or a role player rather than an us getting a bona fide starting SLB. Gillespie could potentially start maybe and I do like him but we've got a few other safeties that are probably above him and he's a solid player rather than high ceiling guy IMO. Jeff Heath like maybe?

Not sure I've explained that so well, Does that makes sense?

Edited by Darbsk
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

ya but this wasn't the draft for a DT. it sucked 

What a strange thing to say. You think every single DT in the class sucked and none could be potential starters down the line? 

Just now, Darbsk said:

What a strange thing to say. You think every single DT in the class sucked and none could be potential starters down the line? 

Agreed. It definitely wasn’t the best class but at some point groupthink sets in and people over compensate.