2022 NFL Draft Thread

Nick_gb

40 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

The Packers are going to take Christian Watson .. probably in round one.  He fits about everything they want physically and athletically.  It's going to take that guy a while to hone his craft, but in the meantime they can use him on kick returns, a gadget role, and as a deep threat on the outside.

Lackluster hands and one of the older WR prospects, he does not fit their mold.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

The fact we have Treylon visiting today should show you the priority. Doubt we have anyone other than the area scout there.

Drake.....we wish you well in your future endeavors...outside when you happen to be playing against Green Bay that is....but we've got bigger fish to fry (read: Burks & Pickens)  :)

(or Pickens & Burk)

Edited by Leader
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

The Packers are going to take Christian Watson .. probably in round one.  He fits about everything they want physically and athletically.  It's going to take that guy a while to hone his craft, but in the meantime they can use him on kick returns, a gadget role, and as a deep threat on the outside.

And as a gunner. He could be the next Janis before he's the next Jordy.

The Packers could also take a DL at 22, an OL at 28, trade up in rd 2 and take Pierce and roll with 

Lazard

Watkins

Amari Rodgers 

Cobb

Pierce

Use your first rounders on staple positions that are often keys to winning.

Edited by NFLGURU

3 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

I think there's a very real chance Pierce is available at our 3rd round pick and wouldn't totally shock me if he sides into early 4th.

6'3", 215lb, 40" vert, glue-hand, multi-sport athlete that was productive for a top 5 college program ain't going to be available in the 4th round.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Lackluster hands and one of the older WR prospects, he does not fit their mold.

I obviously agree with this, especially for GB and their first rounders ( and not a big fan of Watson). But I think it was Ross Uglem who pointed out that covid has caused some werird situations where quite a few players stayed in school a bit longer and are thus older which could force the Packers hand on taking an older player.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

I obviously agree with this, especially for GB and their first rounders ( and not a big fan of Watson). But I think it was Ross Uglem who pointed out that covid has caused some werird situations where quite a few players stayed in school a bit longer and are thus older which could force the Packers hand on taking an older player.

Yeah I've noticed a ton of guys already 23 or even 24 this year. They're like landmines in my draft evaluation, I like a guy and then, boom, he was a man pushing 19 year olds around.

Some are definitely worth drafting at different points, but in regards to Watson, there are so many younger WRs projected to go in a similar part of the draft. He might be whatever the opposite of a draft crush is for me. By the time he puts it all together (a big "if" imo) he'll be 26 and we'll be in a rebuild.

I consistently see people listing Allan Lazard, Randall Cobb, Amari Rodgers as roster locks for this team (and now I'm assuming Sammy Watkins).   I've also read a lot of comments that this team wouldn't consider a primary slot because Cobb and Rodgers are already on the roster.   I get Lazard, Cobb, Watkins as roster locks, but why do people assume Rodgers is a lock?    Is it just because he was a 3rd round pick last year and the assumption is the team won't give up on him after a year?  Friendship with Cobb?   Something he showed on the field?  Purely financial?

I like Amari Rodgers and liked the idea of what Rodgers could be, but there is nothing he showed me on the field last year that puts him in a roster lock category... let alone possible contributor category.     And why should the Packers pass up on a talented receiver because last-year-on-the-team Cobb and possible roster cut Rodgers are manning that spot?   Hope Rodgers comes into the offseason greatly improved and shows out but suspect the team views that spot as something that can greatly be improved

3 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

I consistently see people listing Allan Lazard, Randall Cobb, Amari Rodgers as roster locks for this team (and now I'm assuming Sammy Watkins).   I've also read a lot of comments that this team wouldn't consider a primary slot because Cobb and Rodgers are already on the roster.   I get Lazard, Cobb, Watkins as roster locks, but why do people assume Rodgers is a lock?    Is it just because he was a 3rd round pick last year and the assumption is the team won't give up on him after a year?  Friendship with Cobb?   Something he showed on the field?  Purely financial?

I like Amari Rodgers and liked the idea of what Rodgers could be, but there is nothing he showed me on the field last year that puts him in a roster lock category... let alone possible contributor category.     And why should the Packers pass up on a talented receiver because last-year-on-the-team Cobb and possible roster cut Rodgers are manning that spot?   Hope Rodgers comes into the offseason greatly improved and shows out but suspect the team views that spot as something that can greatly be improved

Rodgers is a lock unless he completely bombs. But he's a cerebral player and I very much doubt he completely bombs.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

All the other 1st round prospects are 22 or younger.

6 hours ago, mikemike778 said:

Being critical of the general strategy is fine. 

But anybody who says that a particular pick is a bad pick is essentially saying they are better at judging talent than the professionals. Unless they can back it up with proven experience in the field then it is arrogance of the extreme level.

You can not like a pick, the kind of player or the direction we are going with. But anyone who calls a pick a bad pick should be called out. 

I mean, you can give 10 different scouts the same tape and you could end up with 10 different opinions.  Doesn't mean any of them are wrong until the players actually play.  I don't mind saying it's a bad pick, but I want some support behind that argument.

19 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

6'3", 215lb, 40" vert, glue-hand, multi-sport athlete that was productive for a top 5 college program ain't going to be available in the 4th round.

He will be if teams aren't sure he can run a full route tree or separate from press or create consistent separation in general.   I've been on enough draft day to see people clamoring for a player in rnd 2 and exasperated when the team doesn't take them in the 4-5th.    (I know, I've been that guy)

Equanimeous St Brown was a 4.4 guy standing 6'5" 214lbs who NFL.com had rated even higher than they do Alec Pierce.  ESB's Sophomore year of 58 961 9 with an NFL caliber QB DeShone Kizer was better than Alec Pierce's 52 884 8 as a Senior with NFL caliber Desmond Ridder so he was also productive for a top college program.  ESB was drafted in the 6th.

I'm not trying to bash Pierce, I'm just typing out loud that I think he might be a guy that might drop further than people expect.    If it happens could be the next guy to prove everyone wrong