2022 NFL Draft Thread

Nick_gb

WR Kevin Austin (Notre Dame) is a later-round prospect who had a late breakout after two foot injuries. While there isn't the volume of tape on him you'd like, he is 6'2", 200, with a 4.43 40, a 39" vert and 11ft broad jump. That gives him a RAS of 9.94. He needs refinement in all areas, but considering the time he missed, he shouldn't be seen as  slow learner.

LB Troy Andersen (Montana St.) is another high RAS guy (a perfect 10), including a 4.42 40 at 6'3", 243. You might get him with a third rounder. Definitely raw, but a fierce hitter with a non-stop motor. He just might be a Packers 3rd rounder that comes good - it would make a nice change.

Perhaps you like DL Thomas Booker, Stanford (6'3", 301) with a late 5h or 6th. He scored well in testing across the board and has a RAS of 9.88. He has the speed and the motor, just needs to work on maximising his strength, though he does have the foundation, with a good bench (31).

Finally, how about Guard Sebastian Gutierrez (Minot St.). 6'4", 308. A D2 player with a 9.84 RAS and a perfect late round flier, or even a UDFA. He steadily improved as he played and got larger - spent time at OT as well.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Will be interesting to see the "blocking effect" on our board for WRs

Lotsa fans obsessing over this one.
MLF has talked about it many times. He's not locked into 1 type and he's fully aware of the need for explosion.

Trust The Eyebrows  (TTE)

LaFleur said this week that picking a wide receiver group is like “filling out a basketball roster.”

“You need guys that are at a certain area of expertise, and then it’s our job as coaches to put those guys into position where they can showcase that skill set … You’re not going to go out and play with five point guards,” LaFleur said
“You need a speed guy. You need a guy that’s got short-area quickness … we’d like to have a couple guys that are versatile enough to do both of those things.”

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

LB Troy Andersen (Montana St.) is another high RAS guy (a perfect 10), including a 4.42 40 at 6'3", 243. You might get him with a third rounder. Definitely raw, but a fierce hitter with a non-stop motor. He just might be a Packers 3rd rounder that comes good - it would make a nice change.

I keep ending up with Anderson as a mid-rounder in all my mock draft sims. Given that the Packers seem serious about upgrading special teams, I could see him being a target.

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Will be interesting to see the "blocking effect" on our board for WRs. I can tell you if that's a high priority Jameson Williams, Chris Olave, Garrett Wilson, Christian Watson, Skyy Moore and Jahan Dotson aren't on our board and we'll be selecting from Drake London, Treylon Burks, George Pickens and Alec Pierce.

Move Christian Watson from the first group to the second group. Watson is a solid blocker, and he's consistent. Pickens is a good blocker when he wants to be, but he doesn't always have the want to. Add Jalen Tolbert to your second group. A late round guy that I gave plus grades to blocking is Mike Woods. He also looked solid in the combine drills. I have a draftable grade on him.

Edited by TheEagle

Last year we were stacked. This year we have a lot of needs. My worst case scenario is losing one of our top five picks in a trade to move up. I hate moving up in general, but especially when you lose out on getting a crack at a potential quality pick. And let's be real, no one can predict with certainty, the more picks the better your odds of landing a starter.

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

Lotsa fans obsessing over this one.
MLF has talked about it many times. He's not locked into 1 type and he's fully aware of the need for explosion.

Trust The Eyebrows  (TTE)

LaFleur said this week that picking a wide receiver group is like “filling out a basketball roster.”

“You need guys that are at a certain area of expertise, and then it’s our job as coaches to put those guys into position where they can showcase that skill set … You’re not going to go out and play with five point guards,” LaFleur said
“You need a speed guy. You need a guy that’s got short-area quickness … we’d like to have a couple guys that are versatile enough to do both of those things.”

This is all I think about when people suggest Burks or London. They fit great..to replace Lazard in a season. They do not fill either of our two needs at WR right now.

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

“You need guys that are at a certain area of expertise, and then it’s our job as coaches to put those guys into position where they can showcase that skill set … You’re not going to go out and play with five point guards,” ..

He said this entering his first year.  Since amari is the only receiver drafted since , this will be the first real draft to apply that. On field, though, it’s been  the inherited Adams (wing in basketball analogy?) and power forwards.  Will be interesting if they drift from power forward model.

18 minutes ago, James Lofton said:

And let's be real, no one can predict with certainty, the more picks the better your odds of landing a starter.

Agreed
There have been a few outlets that talked about the COVID impact on the 2022 draft- because many of the college players were granted an extra year of eligibility- they felt that 2022 offered a deeper draft than in previous seasons. The article went on to mention all the meat on the bones in round 2-4 this yr vs others. So more players and more older players than in a typical draft year. That leans heavily toward your strategery above of "more picks is better"  in 2022

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Will be interesting to see the "blocking effect" on our board for WRs. I can tell you if that's a high priority Jameson Williams, Chris Olave, Garrett Wilson, Christian Watson, Skyy Moore and Jahan Dotson aren't on our board and we'll be selecting from Drake London, Treylon Burks, George Pickens and Alec Pierce.

I imagine, in recent years, the emphasis on large bodied WRs who can block was because so much of the offense ran through screens to Davante.  Now that you're not doing that anymore, even though you still want WRs to block for RBs, you need the guy to run the passing offense through more than the guy you want to block for him.

• Like 1

I'm also hesitant for any 2-for-1 tradeups costing more than a 4th as the second pick.  Given the big-salary guys we’ve got, and will have if Gary-Jaire-Jenkins were to get 2nd contracts, I’m really hesitant to lose any of our top four or five picks.  But I also get the win-with-special-guys logic. Gute, be both smart and lucky both!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I imagine, in recent years, the emphasis on large bodied WRs who can block was because so much of the offense ran through screens to Davante.  Now that you're not doing that anymore, even though you still want WRs to block for RBs, you need the guy to run the passing offense through more than the guy you want to block for him.

They will still throw a ton of screens.

54 minutes ago, James Lofton said:

Last year we were stacked. This year we have a lot of needs. My worst case scenario is losing one of our top five picks in a trade to move up. I hate moving up in general, but especially when you lose out on getting a crack at a potential quality pick. And let's be real, no one can predict with certainty, the more picks the better your odds of landing a starter.

Do we?   I mean in comparison to every other team in the league?   Adams and MVS are a real loss and Jenkins hurt but otherwise we return almost everyone - including two All-Pros in Jaire and Bakh that barely contributed last year.   Lucas Patrick would be nice but he's not really moving the needle for Super Bowl aspirations and fairly certain any pick at all can replace the 18 snaps Smith gave us.   Most of what we need are depth pieces, we don't have to draft frontline starters - that puts in a very enviable position vs the rest of the NFL.  The only glaring weakness is the WR talent pool and that will get addressed.   

• Like 1

Some interesting takes in this article

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2022-nfl-draft-bold-observations-eight-unconventional-takeaways-from-studying-this-draft-class/

my takeaways are that more folks should be talking about Skyy Moore as a possible pick for he Pack at 28. And with a name like that you can't go wrong.

I'm reading a lot of folks who like Arnold Ebiketie and he could be a solid 1st round pick as well.

I've been pining for a big, elite DL with a first pick, but I'm starting to come around to the idea that unless they can be counted on to rush the QB on 3rd (and 4th) down then you may was well pick a run stopper in a later round. So even if Jordan Davis were to fall to us, then perhaps we pass on him too.

Edited by James Lofton

I figure the primary goals of the draft in terms of needs are:

1) Rebuild the WR room (they have like 1 guy under contract for 2023, and that's Amari Rodgers)
2) Add a respectable pass rusher so you can cycle those guys in and out of the game.
3) Add a DL since Lowry might be gone after this year and you're a little light in that group anyway.
4) Add an OL who can play RT/RG since we don't know when Jenkins will be back.
5) TE of the future, since Big Dog can't play forever and Tonyan is on a one year deal.

Probably you might also want to pick up a 3rd safety/4th CB guy.

Edited by PossibleCabbage
  • Like 3