2022 NFL Draft Thread

Nick_gb

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Peter finally catching on. For what the Packers need from a safety, I might take Pitre OVER Dax Hill. Hill is probably the better overall player in terms of CB skills, but Pitre is the better safety, especially near the LOS. 

Jalen is 23, Dax is 21, be ready to be disappointed (if we use 28 on a DB).

29 minutes ago, The Truth said:

I like Pitre, but 12% missed tackle rate way to high for a safety

That number is naturally going to be a bit higher when you play around the ball as much as he did. The guy was basically a S/LB/EDGE combo for Baylor. He's the closest thing to Antoine Winfield in this year's draft and a lot of teams made the mistake of passing on him in 2020 (including us). Teams will do the same with Pitre. 

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Jalen is 23, Dax is 21, be ready to be disappointed (if we use 28 on a DB).

Wouldn't be disappointed either way. I'm just saying I think Pitre is a really good football player. I have him, Dax and Brisker all pretty close in terms of on-the-field play. 

The only things that give me pause on Pickens are medical and background stuff which I'm not privvy too.  The ACL is probably no big deal, but I'm not an orthopedist and I have not seen his MRI.  There's also rumblings of some off-field stuff with him, but there's a good chance that turns out to be nothing (Donald Driver used to steal cars, and he turned out OK) but I'm not in position to know anything about it.

But like you don't want to draft the next Marcus Lattimore or Aaron Hernandez.

6 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

The only things that give me pause on Pickens are medical and background stuff which I'm not privvy too.  The ACL is probably no big deal, but I'm not an orthopedist and I have not seen his MRI.  There's also rumblings of some off-field stuff with him, but there's a good chance that turns out to be nothing (Donald Driver used to steal cars, and he turned out OK) but I'm not in position to know anything about it.

But like you don't want to draft the next Marcus Lattimore or Aaron Hernandez.

The Packers proctologist checked him out on his 30-visit and didn't like the findings. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, R T said:

I threw the softball out there, what people do with it...???

Dude. Stop.  Whatever happens in Cwood's basement, stays in Cwood's basement.  

Aren't you proud?  I didn't even have to bring @Norm 's mom into this one.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

Wouldn't be disappointed either way. I'm just saying I think Pitre is a really good football player. I have him, Dax and Brisker all pretty close in terms of on-the-field play. 

Whichever one we get, id be happy with. I'd actually be happy with Dax as early as 22 (I think he's that good) and if we got him at 28 I'd be ecstatic. Pitre or Brisker ideally would happen after a trade back into the early second.

I'd be ok with Cine too, but don't see him making much impact as a rookie unless there are injuries. Gotta avoid a doomsday scenario at S in a year - I don't think Savage gets the 5th year offered.

Not sure if people on this site listen to NFL on satellite radio, but one of the biggest gripes their scouts have with this crop of draftees is with the wideouts. They don't see any Calvin Johnson, Julio Jones, or even Ja'Marr Chase/Jeffersons. There are WRs with first round grades, but they aren't complete. Most are on the smaller size <200#s and few receivers at that size become a number 1 for an NFL team.  They state exceptions, but on average they are usually a team's number 2 receiver. Additionally, Bob McGinn has a newsletter about WRs and echoes the same sentiments that this year's WRs aren't well rounded.
So where does that put Green Bay's quest to replace Adams and MVS?

They have 4 premium picks, do they fill in the roster with high quality players that will fill in the roster with BPA at multiple positions or do they reach for WR ?
For sure Green Bay is going to draft multiple wideouts. I think, not sure but think a WRs like Olave, Williams, and Dotson aren't going to be the Packer's number 1 receiver. London has the size and stats, but has speed and quickness issues and according to McGinn's scouts Burks is considered a risky pick and most likely to be a bust!
McGinn's article doesn't mention the area where I think Green Bay is looking and that is in that late second early third round pick. Maybe Watson which is rated as the 49th best player (On Tony Pauline's board) or Tolbert who is rated the 59th best player and finally Pierce, at 67. Pickens is rated at 72, but as everyone knows if a team falls in love with a player they will take him early.
I think Green Bay will use one of their top 4 picks on a receiver and it will be in the second round. That is where they will get their WR that has good route running skills, good speed, (doesn't need to be MVS speed) size around 200 pounds and willing to block.
The other three premium picks will fit the BPA to the Edge, OT, DT, S, or CB positions.
This should be a great draft haul for the Packers this year.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Hands said:

....one of the biggest gripes their scouts have with this crop of draftees is with the wideouts. They don't see any Calvin Johnson, Julio Jones, or even Ja'Marr Chase/Jeffersons. ....

Not sure that's relevant for us.  *IF* there hypothetically were guys like Johnson, Julio, or Ja'Marr, studs of that caliber don't last into the 20's anyway.  Faulting the draft for not having super-studs like that doesn't necessarily preclude good value relative to a pick 22 or 28.     

2 minutes ago, craig said:

Not sure that's relevant for us.  *IF* there hypothetically were guys like Johnson, Julio, or Ja'Marr, studs of that caliber don't last into the 20's anyway.  Faulting the draft for not having super-studs like that doesn't necessarily preclude good value relative to a pick 22 or 28.     

Funny they list Jefferson yet he was like the 5th WR picked that year.

Looking at the WR viewed as the top in the NFL in recent years

Adams, 2nd round pick

Hopkins, late 1st

Hill 5th round ( off field issues likely reason, but he wasn't a high first prospect otherwise)

Kupp, 3rd round pick

Diggs,  5th round