2022 NFL Draft Thread

Nick_gb

6 minutes ago, Leader said:

LempsMKE -   My WR plan for GB:

Round one - Pickens
Round two - Pierce
Round four - Austin Jr.

They check all the boxes. Size, speed, RAS score. This is how you reload right here.

So we're carrying 7 receivers, or what's the plan? Who's getting cut? 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Leader said:

LempsMKE -   My WR plan for GB:

Round one - Pickens
Round two - Pierce
Round four - Austin Jr.

They check all the boxes. Size, speed, RAS score. This is how you reload right here.

I'd love Pickens and Pierce. But if we take them in Rd 1 and 2 then I wouldn't want to even think about a third WR until our late 5th. Round 4 should be ripe with athletic, raw OL, rangy center field style S prospects, and solid TEs who can contribute in either the Tonyan or Lewis roles in a year. Some of these sports writers forget we have other positions that need attention too

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Leader said:

Kyle Fellows -   The (realistic) dream @ 22

Olave
Dax Hill
Karlaftis

The Dream @ 28
Pickens
Mafe
Cine

It’s hard not to just go Karlaftis then Cine. I get the WR issue… but I selfishly just want the best defense in the league. I don’t mind winning 10-3 every game.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Green19 said:

It’s hard not to just go Karlaftis then Cine. I get the WR issue… but I selfishly just want the best defense in the league. I don’t mind winning 10-3 every game.

This is the boat I'm in. Package a 4th with 22 if you need to to secure Karlaftis, DL or S at 28, hit receiver with a 2nd and 3rd and call it a day

4 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I have been real high on the Packers WR size thing.  But...

I think the real issue is that the only WR they have under contract for 2023 is Amari Rodgers, you're still going to need to pick up a WR who can reach the top shelf for next year.

The other thing is that Lazard, Cobb, Rodgers, and Amari are probably roster locks and you want one of your WRs to be a core guy on special teams coverage, so you don't exactly get to flood the zone with WRs in this draft.

Bill Huber / SI -  The 2022 NFL Draft is less than one week away. By now, you know the Green Bay Packers’ needs backward and forward, inside out and upside down. Our eighth all-Packers mock draft, done via the Pro Football Focus simulator, addresses all those concerns.

First Round – No. 22: Northern Iowa OT Trevor Penning

The Packers released Billy Turner, their starting right tackle from the past two seasons. The physical and “nasty” Penning could be the team’s right tackle for the next decade. Penning started 33 games during his final three seasons, with 31 of those at left tackle. He was a first-team FCS All-American as a senior. He was mentored at UNI by former Packers star Bryce Paup.

First Round – No. 28: Georgia WR George Pickens

Pickens had a predraft visit with the Packers. At 6-foot-3, he’s got deep speed, excellent hands and superb physicality as a blocker.

Second Round – No. 53: USC OLB Drake Jackson

Rashan Gary is power. Preston Smith is power. Jackson is speed. He could be a nice change-of-pace pass rusher while he learns the finer points of run defense. He had five sacks in 2021 but ranked among the draft-class leaders in pressure rate.

Second Round – No. 59: South Alabama WR Jalen Tolbert

Tolbert caught 64 passes for 1,085 yards and eight touchdowns as a junior and 82 passes for 1,474 yards and eight touchdowns as a senior. Tolbert’s got 4.49 speed, which he used to rank among the national leaders with 16 receptions on passes thrown 20-plus yards downfield. The drawback is he dropped too many passes.

Third Round – No. 92: Virginia TE Jelani Woods

After grabbing two pass-catching receivers, it’s time to provide the running game with perhaps the best blocking tight end in the draft. At 6-foot-7, he caught 44 passes and scored eight touchdowns as a senior.

Fourth Round – No. 132: Toledo S Tycen Anderson
Fourth Round – No. 140: Missouri State DT Eric Johnson
Fifth Round – No. 171: North Carolina G Joshua Ezeudu
Seventh round – No. 228: LSU RB Tyrion Davis-Price
Seventh Round – No. 249: Texas Tech CB DaMarcus Fields
Seventh Round – No. 259: Pittsburgh LS Cal Adomitis

1 hour ago, Arthur Penske said:

So stack those late rounders?  @Outpost31 😉 

This is why the rams model won’t be sustainable. Because they keep using their higher picks on the top end talent… so those late rounders need to back fill your “roles” positions.

It can get you a super bowl (obviously) but I wonder how much sustain success they will enjoy.

Packers Top 30 Visits
Treylon Burks, WR, Arkansas
Sam Williams, EDGE, Ole Miss
Tyquan Thornton, WR, Baylor
Velus Jones, Jr., WR, Tennessee
George Pickens, WR, Georgia
John Thompson, CB, Texas
Eric Johnson II, DL, Missouri State
Tariq Carpenter, SAF/LB, Georgia Tech
Samori Toure, WR, Nebraska
Devonte Wyatt, DL, Georgia
Abraham Lucas, OT, Washington State
Christian Watson, WR, North Dakota State
Perrion Winfrey, DL, Oklahoma
Bam Olaseni, OT, Utah
Luke Goedeke, OT, Central Michigan
Ja'Tyre Carter, OT, Southern
Kevin Atkins, DT, Fresno State
Rasheed Walker, OT, Penn State
DaRon Bland, CB, Fresno State
Gregory Junior, CB, Ouachita Baptist
Jaquan Brisker, S, Penn State

Reported Virtual Meetings
Alex Wright, EDGE, UAB
Jamaree Salyer, OL, Georgia
Greg Dulcich, TE, UCLA
Leon O’Neal, SAF, Texas A&M
Isaiah Weston, WR, Northern Iowa

Local Pro Day
Scott Nelson, SAF, Wisconsin
Clint Ratkovich, FB, Northern Illinois
Jake Ferguson, TE, Wisconsin

Looks like the Packers are doing their due diligence at OT. A number of them fits the Packers OL size/athletic thresholds namely Lucas, Goedeke and Walker.

Not shocked at the number of WRs we brought in. We're probably going to use at least two draft picks on them. Glad to see we're turning over every stone

Surprised with the lack of TEs on the list but not surprised at Dulcich. Dulcich struck me as an obvious Packers TE the first time I saw his highlights.

If the virtual meeting counts as a top 30 visit then we have 4 more visits slots left unless there has been some visits that the media have not gotten wind of yet.

I wondered whether Barry would stick with heavy edge rushers or switch to lighter, more athletic types. The two EDGE guys on the list provides us with some early clues, 260 and 270lbs which points to Barry sticking with heavy edge rushers.

No LB, RB or QB - suggests that they are low priority in the draft. Tariq Carpenter is a tweener. We have tried for years to find our hybrid S/LB and failed. If we hit on one then we would have fantastic schematic flexibility. I wonder if we're also looking for a hybrid S/Slot Corner in the Mathieu mold - I suppose Savage would already fufill that role.

Edited by Chili
  • Like 1

On 4/21/2022 at 6:00 PM, Hands said:

Not sure if people on this site listen to NFL on satellite radio, but one of the biggest gripes their scouts have with this crop of draftees is with the wideouts. They don't see any Calvin Johnson, Julio Jones, or even Ja'Marr Chase/Jeffersons. There are WRs with first round grades, but they aren't complete. Most are on the smaller size <200#s and few receivers at that size become a number 1 for an NFL team.  They state exceptions, but on average they are usually a team's number 2 receiver. Additionally, Bob McGinn has a newsletter about WRs and echoes the same sentiments that this year's WRs aren't well rounded.
So where does that put Green Bay's quest to replace Adams and MVS?

Oh noes how are we going to replace the guys we drafted at 53 and 174 when there are no stud WRs in this draft?