2022 NFL Draft Thread

Nick_gb

3 hours ago, Leader said:

Okay...but I wouldnt want Watson at 22......think that's way too early for him. He's an unpolished/finished product.

I'd like to get my hands on (either) Pickens (or Burks) in the 1st round - then select between the Cincy Kid or Watson....or Metchie....or somebody else in the 40-50's range - as the "complimentary WR" selection - but I allow there's a whole host of WR's I've not researched at all that could fill that spot.

I'm not buying into the "personality" crap about Pickens. The guy's a football player and could help us. HIs tape sold me. Deciding we DONT want him around for the next five years (or longer) because he's got the maturity of a young adult.....is stupid. 

So him spraying a water bottle on an opponent, getting into a fist fight with a DB, etc (all of which are during games) don’t give you some pause?

Like I’m all for a guy having an edge and in fact want that to be honest. But it’s not like those personalities issues aren’t a thing with him. 

Guys on football teams aren’t doing these types of things nation wide, with the somewhat consistency he does.

And don’t get me wrong these things aren’t deal breakers at all but dude is clearly immature at least.

Edited by Green19

If you're a WR and are a persistent body catcher you better be fast to generate separation.

The time it takes from where you pluck the ball out in the air or letting it continue further into the body is an extra fraction of a second.

That fraction of the second might be all the time needed for a defender to get close enough to interfere and cause an incompletion or interception.

But if you're fast and can gain separation then a body catcher can get away with this as the defender is too far away to make any difference but if you're slow you are useless and won't last long in the NFL.

Now, a body catcher has a small catch radius vs a hands catcher who has a much larger catch radius. For the ball to hit that smaller catch radius those receivers rely heavily on accurate QBs.

Not only that, for the QB to be accurate he needs a good OL in order to throw accurately because if he is under pressure he will find it much harder to throw an accurate ball, he will throwing the ball to an area where a body catcher won't make the catch whereas a hands catcher might.

So to summarise, if a WR is a body catcher he needs an accurate QB to get the ball to him and for the QB to be accurate he needs a good OL. In other words in order to be successful in the NFL he absolutely need to go to the right team.

Jameson Williams is exactly that guy. To be successful in the NFL he would need to go to a team with a good QB and OL such as Green Bay, Kansas, Tampa.

A wide receiver who catches with their hands is an inaccurate AND accurate QB best friend, they will fit on almost any team.

I don't like body catchers but Williams tape is fantastic. So fast and dynamic.

Edited by Chili
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Green19 said:

So him spraying a water bottle on an opponent, getting into a fist fight with a DB, etc (all of which are during games) don’t give you some pause?

Like I’m all for a guy having an edge and in fact want that to be honest. But it’s not like those personalities issues aren’t a thing with him. 

Guys on football teams aren’t doing these types of things nation wide, with the somewhat consistency he does.

And don’t get me wrong these things aren’t deal breakers at all but dude is clearly immature at least.

Those were all when he was 18-19 lol. So, yeah, he was immature. Got anything more recent that hints at him being a problem? It's smokescreen season and we've reportedly met with him plenty. If we take him, it's a non-issue. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Those were all when he was 18-19 lol. So, yeah, he was immature. Got anything more recent that hints at him being a problem? It's smokescreen season and we've reportedly met with him plenty. If we take him, it's a non-issue. 

Look I get it that he was young when he did it… my point is Olave, Wilson, Burks, etc etc didn’t do this at 18-19 did they? The majority of his contemporaries didn’t do these things.

The more recent thing is he had an ACL… so you are stacking different red flags (maturity, medical). He isn’t some slam dunk prospect. His talent alone says he should be a top 5-10 dude.

There are clear reasons he is seen as borderline 1st though.

I’m not saying all of these things arent clearly correctable… they are. But also, I’m not in a room with the kid asking questions and seeing how he replies. That’s clearly why GB brought him in for a visit.

Are these just silly moments from a kid… or are they character flaws that when we make him a first rounder and give him a ton of money that he goes crazy with his new found power.

These are all legit questions.

I trust the packers front office though, after having a pre draft visit, that if they select him they feel comfortable enough with him as a whole.

• Like 1

Just now, Green19 said:

Look I get it that he was young when he did it… my point is Olave, Wilson, Burks, etc etc didn’t do this at 18-19 did they? The majority of his contemporaries didn’t do these things.

The more recent thing is he had an ACL… so you are stacking different red flags (maturity, medical). He isn’t some slam dunk prospect. His talent alone says he should be a top 5-10 dude.

There are clear reasons he is seen as borderline 1st though.

I’m not saying all of these things arent clearly correctable… they are. But also, I’m not in a room with the kid asking questions and seeing how he replies. That’s clearly why GB brought him in for a visit.

Are these just silly moments from a kid… or are they character flaws that when we make him a first rounder and give him a ton of money that he goes crazy with his new found power.

These are all legit questions.

I trust the packers front office though, after having a pre draft visit, that if they select him they feel comfortable enough with him as a whole.

LIS, we've met with him a lot...we're going to know one way or another so this is all moot. We did our due diligence. You're not bringing anything to the table that the Packers brass wouldn't have figured out. 

His talent is undeniable and the only reason you're in a position to get him is because of the prior "issues" that are simply being held under a microscope during draft week. ACL isn't a problem anymore so I don't really care about that aspect. He's back, he's played, it's over with. If he's clear on the maturity side and he interviewed well, we're going to run the card up. If he didn't, we'll move on. This isn't some otherworldly take.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

LIS, we've met with him a lot...we're going to know one way or another so this is all moot. We did our due diligence. You're not bringing anything to the table that the Packers brass wouldn't have figured out. 

His talent is undeniable and the only reason you're in a position to get him is because of the prior "issues" that are simply being held under a microscope during draft week. ACL isn't a problem anymore so I don't really care about that aspect. He's back, he's played, it's over with. If he's clear on the maturity side and he interviewed well, we're going to run the card up. If he didn't, we'll move on. This isn't some otherworldly take.

Look I don’t disagree with any of this. I was simply replying to the notion that his personality issue weren’t a thing. He displayed them to the whole world to see… so it’s clearly a thing and he clearly had to talk about it with teams.

I agree, I trust GB given how they do business that if they select him that as a fan I shouldnt worry.

But as a fan pre draft… I can see how a team talks themselves off of him if they have dudes rated near him. That’s all. 

I understands others view point. It will be interesting if they select him or if they select another WR over him at a spot where it’s good value for him.

My main point, he has maturity questions and he opened the door himself for teams to use that against him during the draft process.

Did a 3 round fanspeak mock. What do you all reckon?

22: R1 P22 WR Jameson Williams - Alabama
28: R1 P28 DL Travis Jones - Connecticut
53: R2 P21 WR George Pickens - Georgia
59: R2 P27 C Cole Strange - Chattanooga
92: R3 P28 OT Abraham Lucas - Washington State

2 minutes ago, Chili said:

I'd pass on Jones and Strange at that spot, but you won't get Jameson, Lucas or Pickens at those spots so I'd dig it.

5 minutes ago, Chili said:

Wold love those. THink they'll be gone and perhaps long gone.

No EDGE taken before the 4th would be a tough pill to swallow.

1 minute ago, Arthur Penske said:

Wold love those. THink they'll be gone and perhaps long gone.

No EDGE taken before the 4th would be a tough pill to swallow.

I admit I don't know enough about the edge guys to make a draft pick yet. I'm doing a last minute cram session on that group of players.

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

So a lot of people still "think" the Packers are going to make a move in to the early teens to potentially grab one of the top 4 WRs. So, let's pretend that happens...who's the target: Wilson, Williams, Olave or London?

I think Olave/Williams would work best with 12.

6 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

So a lot of people still "think" the Packers are going to make a move in to the early teens to potentially grab one of the top 4 WRs. So, let's pretend that happens...who's the target: Wilson, Williams, Olave or London?

If we move up and follow our tendency it will be for London.

I'd much rather pick BPA, move back to round 2 from 28 and pick up a 3rd, grab Pickens or Watson at the top of round 2, use that 3rd to move up from 53 and get Pitre, Tyler Smith, Drake Jackson type prospect.

The value you'll find in this draft is from 30-60 IMO, to sacrifice that for an overhyped WR would be really dumb. Chase or Jefferson aren't walking through the door.

• Like 1