2022 NFL Draft Thread

Nick_gb

30 minutes ago, R T said:

I realize it is not the kind of thing that gets the juices flowing for most, but the depth of this draft is pretty amazing. Players that in past years would be in the 120-180 pick range will be available in the 7th this year. The three picks in the 7th round the Packers have should bring players with a good chance to make the 53 and that depth should lead to better than normal UDFA signing also.    

Yeah but a lot of this has to do with Covid… that’s why you have a ton of older guys this year.

Im thinking we might see some fireworks tomorrow in the draft,  Packers may or may not be involved but I expect a lot of movement up and down the board throughout the league, some players moving, should be fun to watch.      

Some of the people that are evaluating this draft class are saying that there is not much difference between in players from 21-75, a lot of second trier depth without a lot of blue chips. 

What would people think about a trade between the Packers and the Seahawks.

Packers receive picks 1-9 and 3-72 and the Seahawks receive 1-22, 1-28 and 3-92. 

The Packers would still have 4 picks in the top 72 but having the 9th overall pick would give them a chance at a blue-chip player. The Packers would be down 1 pick for the first 3 rounds.   

41 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I can get half way there with you.  I don't necessarily covet Karlaftis.  I think he moves pretty stiff for what you would want at that position.  I think he will be fine, and I wouldn't be terribly upset with him being selected, but I can absolutely get the difference of opinion about this particular guy.

Where I don't agree is the pressing need part.  We have our top 2 guys in Gary and Preston.  But internally we have Jonathan Garvin, who I am a big supporter of, and a lot of very unproven players.  If you are comfortable with Garvin as the third edge player, I can see how it isn't a need.  But we typically play 3 or 4 edge rushers quite a few snaps over the course of the season.  As much as I like Garvin, I would absolutely be on board selecting someone to compete for that third spot with him, who has more juice than the other options currently on the roster.  I see our needs as :  WR, Edge, DL, OL, in order.  

Sure, there's some degree of need at EDGE, but it's not extremely pressing. There are options that don't involve a 1st round pick. There'll be some decent prospects in the 2nd/3rd or they could try to find another stop-gap free agent a la Mercilus.

GB doesn't have too many other pressing needs so I'm fine with an EDGE with one of the premium picks, even in the 1st round. If it's 22/28, that player better at least have the tools to project as a high-quality pass rusher. I don't think Karlaftis does. 

18 minutes ago, Leader said:

Take your pick...........

I dont think they are taking a WR at 22, they might move up for one but staying at 22 the choices may not be there.  At 28, I think they could decide between Pickens or Watson.   Choose Pickens and you get to deal with his personality, Choose Watson, he's very raw but could be something,  28 may not be a WR either???  

Edited by NFLGURU

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I agree.  But I also don't think that there are really any slam-dunk guys in this draft.  I really think there are about 15 guys I would love to take with pick 40, but like not so many at pick 12.  

I personally do not care for this draft.  Seems like every year I hear about how deep the draft is.  Has to be going on 4 years now.  That and "it's one of the best WR's classes in a long time.".

I don't see it.  No elite QB's.  One great edge with no risk.  Bunch of other edges with question marks.  No elite safety.  One elite and safe corner.  Another with risk.  Another a tier below.  Lots to like on the OT's.  No combo DL's.  No elite WR's.  No elite RB's.

If we were drafting high, I'd hope for an OT.  It is the safest thing about this draft.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, R T said:

Some of the people that are evaluating this draft class are saying that there is not much difference between in players from 21-75, a lot of second trier depth without a lot of blue chips. 

Packers receive picks 1-9 and 3-72 and the Seahawks receive 1-22, 1-28 and 3-92. 

The Packers would still have 4 picks in the top 72 but having the 9th overall pick would give them a chance at a blue-chip player. The Packers would be down 1 pick for the first 3 rounds.   

Depends on the target for me. Let's say the top 4 EDGE guys are gone by pick 8 (strong chance of that happening). Who would you be targeting? There aren't any DL worth that pick. You'd have to go OT, WR, CB or Hamilton. CB seems unlikely given our top 3 guys, and No. 9 seems too high for a WR. So you're basically moving up to No. 9 for the remaining OT (probably Neal or Cross) or Hamilton. 

1 minute ago, NFLGURU said:

I dont think they are taking a WR at 22, they might move up for one but staying at 22 the choices may not be there.  At 28, I think they could decide between Pickens or Watson.   Choose Pickens and you get to deal with his personality, Choose Watson, he's very raw but could be something.    

Okay...but I wouldnt want Watson at 22......think that's way too early for him. He's an unpolished/finished product.

I'd like to get my hands on (either) Pickens (or Burks) in the 1st round - then select between the Cincy Kid or Watson....or Metchie....or somebody else in the 40-50's range - as the "complimentary WR" selection - but I allow there's a whole host of WR's I've not researched at all that could fill that spot.

I'm not buying into the "personality" crap about Pickens. The guy's a football player and could help us. HIs tape sold me. Deciding we DONT want him around for the next five years (or longer) because he's got the maturity of a young adult.....is stupid. 

47 minutes ago, Green19 said:

How am I disrespecting Jordy by saying he was a top 15 WR? That’s averaged over his whole career. His best stretch was 13-16 (with him missing the 15 season). And even in those years he was borderline top 5. 

Julio Jones and Antonio Brown were consistently better than him during those years. Thomas and Calvin Johnson were better the 13-14 seasons. Odell came on to the scene at the end of that stretch.

Like maybe over the career he is  more top 10 WR than top 15, but really he only had 3 seasons of brilliance. And during none of those years what he ever seen as one of the top guys in the league. The rest he was a consistent threat that would win you games with the occasional game he takes over.

Because in his prime, he's elite.  

But you are now stating over his entire career.  Naw.  Took him what, 3 years to get it going.  Then you talk about 3 years of brilliance.  Sounds like a little back pedaling to me!  :)  (Just bustin' yer chops)

Julio didn't score TD's.  OBJ was a flash in the pan with injury issues.  Calvin was amazing.  But prime Jordy was elite, and I dare say, elite on any team.  Dude was quite simply, amazing.

Never.  Disrespect.  The.  Jordy.

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Depends on the target for me. Let's say the top 4 EDGE guys are gone by pick 8 (strong chance of that happening). Who would you be targeting? There aren't any DL worth that pick. You'd have to go OT, WR, CB or Hamilton. CB seems unlikely given our top 3 guys, and No. 9 seems too high for a WR. So you're basically moving up to No. 9 for the remaining OT (probably Neal or Cross) or Hamilton. 

Hamilton is a game changer so it's a move I'd be okay with. 

15 minutes ago, R T said:

Nope.  I do not like the top of the draft this year.  

But if it were to happen, OT all day long.

Listening to Cheesehead Mock.  Man love it.  Never happen but how about Cine, Davis, Pickens, Daniel Falelee, Pierce, Thorton, Chigoziem Okonkwo, and Vederian Lowe through 5 rounds.  That would be a pretty strong haul.  Heavy at WR and a couple of OT's.  Getting Davis at 28?  Yah all about it.  Pickens falling to 53?  Would love it if it worked out this way.  Unsure about Falelee though.  Big guy that can move but would he be able to handle speed rushers?