2022 NFL Draft Thread

Nick_gb

3 minutes ago, Reaper said:

Lmao perfect description 

I mean, it was ******* true. 

So just think of the more recent memories of Jordy and there ya go.

Edited by Norm

29 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Dez Bryant, one thought of as truly elite, 119 games, 537 receptions, 7506 yards, 75 TDs.  (And yes, one huge drop, suck it cowboys.)

Any reference to The Drop always gets a 🏈

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

No.  What transpired above is a travesty.  And a shame.  And a mockery.  It is a  travishamockery I tell you!

Had to get that in.  Cold meds are doing a number on me right now.

Dez Bryant, one thought of as truly elite, 119 games, 537 receptions, 7506 yards, 75 TDs.  (And yes, one huge drop, suck it cowboys.)

Jordy Nelson, 151 games, 613 receptions, 8587 yards, 72 TD's.  (Nice that his breakout game was a Super Bowl victory)

To say that Jordy wasn't elite is doing a disservice to him.  (And I know the post above was not meant to do a disservice to Jordy)

Let's also not forget Jrody Caught 69 TDs as a Packer

Approve South Park GIF

• Like 4

14 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Demovsky just took Burks at 22. 

His description played into the "draft industiral complex"'s interpretation of GB WR situation so cliche too. They always freak out about 1st round WRs but never acknowledge the success GB had with them in the 2nd/3rd.

Some light reading on a possible Packer pick in the 4th round....not a position of immediate need but could be a great replacement.

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack.com%2Fimg%2Favatars%2Fyellow.png

A guest post by

Bob McGinn

McGinn has covered the NFL continuously since 1979. Won Bill Nunn Memorial Award in 2011 for long and distinguished coverage of pro football.

© 2022 Tyler Dunne Unsubscribe
548 Market Street PMB 72296, San Francisco, CA 94104

Publish on SubstackGet the app

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F0d421c0d-5e8c-4e07-b833-ce63198c626a_1100x220.png

Part 8, DB: Could Tariq Woolen change the cornerback game?

There's never been someone this fast, this big. Hear what scouts 'round the NFL have to say on Woolen, "Sauce" Gardner, Kyle Hamilton, Derek Stingley and all of the top defensive backs inside.

Bob McGinn

Apr 27

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack.com%2Ficon%2FLucideHeart%3Fv%3D2%26height%3D32%26fill%3Dtransparent%26stroke%3D%2523757575%26strokeWidth%3D2

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F35b375c9-0788-4d8a-8eed-241d6e53f9dc_4890x2974.jpeg

This is the 38th year in which Bob McGinn has written an NFL draft series. Previously, it appeared in the Green Bay Press-Gazette (1985-’91), the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel (1992-’17), BobMcGinnFootball.com (2018-’19) and The Athletic (2020-’21) … Until 2014, personnel people often were quoted by name. The series reluctantly adopted an all-anonymous format in 2015 at the request of most scouts … The 12-minute, 50-question Wonderlic test was not administered at the NFL scouting combine this year, perhaps for the first time. Therefore, players generally took the test at spring timing days in 2021 or at pro days in the last two months. The average NFL score is about 19.

Today: Defensive backs.

For now, at least, Tariq Woolen of Texas San Antonio is a project. Of that there can be little disagreement.

Now comes the hard part for evaluators because they know, three years from now, it’s possible he will have become the NFL prototype at the cornerback position.

The size is there, the speed is there, the athleticism is there in numbers never before seen in a defensive back. No cornerback standing 6 feet 4 inches, as does Woolen, running 40 yards in 4.26 seconds, as did Woolen, and leaping 42 inches in the vertical jump, as did Woolen, has come before him.

UTSA, which didn’t christen its football program until 2011, has had two players drafted in its first decade. No general manager or scouting director planned to visit the Roadrunners last fall after Woolen received a reject spring grade from the BLESTO combine scout and the lowest possible spring grade before being rejected from the National Football Scouting rep.

At some point during the season, personnel people did make the journey to see the player nicknamed “Riq the Freak.”

“I told him I came all the way out to UTSA because you are the most unusual prospect in the country,” said an NFL personnel man. “Woolen is the ultimate length and speed prospect in this entire draft.”

My combine/pro day archives date to 1986. If Woolen goes in the first two rounds, which is certainly possible, he would become the first 6-4 corner drafted there in that span.

Last year, the Cowboys used a compensatory pick (No. 99) to take a third-round flier on cornerback Nahshon Wright (6-4, 183, 4.48) of Oregon State. He played special teams and 91 snaps on defense, but there’s little evidence yet that he can play.

At the same time, there have been only three 6-3 ½ (heights were rounded off to the nearest half inch) cornerbacks taken in the first three rounds since 1986.

In 2009, Utah’s Sean Smith (6-3 ½, 209, 4.50) went to the Dolphins in the second. Although Smith never made a Pro Bowl, he was rated as a top-10 corner by Pro Football Weekly entering the 2015 and ’16 seasons.

In 2019, Vanderbilt’s Joejuan Williams (6-3 ½, 207, 4.60) went to the Patriots in the second. He has started one game in three seasons.

In 2021, Minnesota’s Benjamin St-Juste (6-3 ½, 202, 4.58) went to Washington in the third. As a rookie, he started three of nine games.

When NFL scouts get together, they constantly compare players. Scouts always can come up with a comparable. With Woolen, there was mostly crickets.

“Don’t have one,” an AFC personnel director said regarding Woolen. “I’m not kidding. I don’t have one for you.”

The one player that was mentioned most was Brandon Browner (6-3 ½, 221, 4.64), who appeared at the combine in 2005 representing Oregon State but wasn’t drafted. After being cut by the Broncos in 2006, he was a CFL all-star in three of four seasons north of the border before signing with the Seahawks. A starter for three years on the “Legion of Boom” defense, he had 12 interceptions and 57 passes defensed in five NFL seasons.

Another scout came up with Lenny Walls (6-4, 192, 4.69), a free agent in 2002 from Boston College who started 16 games for the Broncos in 2003 and lasted five seasons.

In 2017, the Packers drafted Washington’s Kevin King (6-3, 198, 4.46) atop the second round. The only other corner that tall in the team’s previous 30 years was Michael Hawthorne (6-3, 196, 4.54) in 2003-’04.

Back when cornerbacks could mug receivers, size was critical. Witness the dimensions of Hall of Famers **** “Night Train” Lane (6-2, 210), Jimmy Johnson (6-2, 187) and Mel Blount (6-3, 205) decades ago.

When the five-yard bump zone went into effect and receivers became smaller and faster, so did corners. In 1986, just one of the top 15 corners stood even 6-0. In 1995, Notre Dame’s Bobby Taylor (6-3, 208, 4.51) looked like a creature from Mars as the only one of the top 20 corners reaching the 6-0 barrier.

This year, seven of the top 10 corners are at least 6-0 as teams continue to seek bigger, faster players to cover bigger, faster receivers.

Enter Woolen, a wide receiver in high school and a wide receiver (24 receptions, 263 yards, 11.0-yard average, one touchdown) until late in his third year at UTSA. He reluctantly agreed, but now acknowledges he wouldn’t have been in this position without the change.

“No, sir, being in the NFL was just a dream at the time,” Woolen said at the combine. “I always had NFL in my dreams, but when you start to slowly come to reality, I really fell in love playing the position.”

Besides freak, the other operative word for Woolen among scouts is raw. Also often heard was “low floor, high ceiling,” meaning there’s star potential and bust potential.

“He’s not anywhere near ready,” an NFC evaluator said. “You’ve got to train him so much. At 6-4, you’re going to have transition issues. He’s not a second-round player. You’d have to justify taking him that high. You’d look funny taking a guy in the second and he’s your fourth corner. Not a good look.”

The Woolen story presumably will play out Friday night in rounds two and three. As many as 10 defensive backs might be selected before he becomes a factor.

A panel of 18 personnel people agreed to rank the cornerbacks and safeties on a 1-2-3-4-5 basis, with a first-place vote worth 5 points, a second-place vote worth 4 points and so on.

At corner, the vote was Ahmad “Sauce” Gardner (79 points, 10 firsts), Derek Stingley (68, six), Trent McDuffie (43), Kaiir Elam (29, two), Andrew Booth (19), Kyler Gordon (14), Roger McCreary (eight), Woolen (five), Kalon Barnes (three) and Alontae Taylor (two).

At safety, the vote was Kyle Hamilton (81, 14 firsts), Lewis Cine (66, three), Dax Hill (45), Jaquan Brisker (35), Jalen Pitre (21, one), Nick Cross (11), JT Woods (five), Bryan Cook (two), Kerby Joseph (two), Tycen Anderson (one) and Tariq Carpenter (one).

•  
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

Lol and walkers being discussed as the 1st pick.

Come back to chat when you learn what youre talking about because this aint it.

You mocked the idea of a 270lb guy who could bend. Walker is just one example. Sorry about your short memory, but there have been plenty of big EDGE's in recent drafts with better bend than Karlaftis who went in the back half of round 1. 

How about last years draft? Phillips (18), Rousseau (30), Oweh (31), all bigger guys with better EDGE tools than Karlaftis. All of them would be ahead of him if they were in this class.  

This draft doesn't have many prototypical guys, why settle for a guy like Karlaftis, particularly when the positional need isn't extremely pressing? 

There'll be better value than Karlaftis when GB selects, whether it's another player or a trade down.

I realize it is not the kind of thing that gets the juices flowing for most, but the depth of this draft is pretty amazing. Players that in past years would be in the 120-180 pick range will be available in the 7th this year. The three picks in the 7th round the Packers have should bring players with a good chance to make the 53 and that depth should lead to better than normal UDFA signing also.    

4 minutes ago, Les Punting said:

You mocked the idea of a 270lb guy who could bend. Walker is just one example. Sorry about your short memory, but there have been plenty of big EDGE's in recent drafts with better bend than Karlaftis who went in the back half of round 1. 

How about last years draft? Phillips (18), Rousseau (30), Oweh (31), all bigger guys with better EDGE tools than Karlaftis. All of them would be ahead of him if they were in this class.  

This draft doesn't have many prototypical guys, why settle for a guy like Karlaftis, particularly when the positional need isn't extremely pressing? 

There'll be better value than Karlaftis when GB selects, whether it's another player or a trade down.

I can get half way there with you.  I don't necessarily covet Karlaftis.  I think he moves pretty stiff for what you would want at that position.  I think he will be fine, and I wouldn't be terribly upset with him being selected, but I can absolutely get the difference of opinion about this particular guy.

Where I don't agree is the pressing need part.  We have our top 2 guys in Gary and Preston.  But internally we have Jonathan Garvin, who I am a big supporter of, and a lot of very unproven players.  If you are comfortable with Garvin as the third edge player, I can see how it isn't a need.  But we typically play 3 or 4 edge rushers quite a few snaps over the course of the season.  As much as I like Garvin, I would absolutely be on board selecting someone to compete for that third spot with him, who has more juice than the other options currently on the roster.  I see our needs as :  WR, Edge, DL, OL, in order.  

2 minutes ago, R T said:

I realize it is not the kind of thing that gets the juices flowing for most, but the depth of this draft is pretty amazing. Players that in past years would be in the 120-180 pick range will be available in the 7th this year. The three picks in the 7th round the Packers have should bring players with a good chance to make the 53 and that depth should lead to better than normal UDFA signing also.    

I agree.  But I also don't think that there are really any slam-dunk guys in this draft.  I really think there are about 15 guys I would love to take with pick 40, but like not so many at pick 12.  

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Higher GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Can't believe no one else is sticking up for Jordy.

How am I disrespecting Jordy by saying he was a top 15 WR? That’s averaged over his whole career. His best stretch was 13-16 (with him missing the 15 season). And even in those years he was borderline top 5. 

Julio Jones and Antonio Brown were consistently better than him during those years. Thomas and Calvin Johnson were better the 13-14 seasons. Odell came on to the scene at the end of that stretch.

Like maybe over the career he is  more top 10 WR than top 15, but really he only had 3 seasons of brilliance. And during none of those years what he ever seen as one of the top guys in the league. The rest he was a consistent threat that would win you games with the occasional game he takes over.

Edited by Green19