2022 NFL Draft Thread

Nick_gb

15 minutes ago, Green19 said:

But everyone has different tiers… your tiers might have Olave and Wilson higher. Someone else might have Watson and Pierce higher. No one can say for sure EVERY scout has them higher.

Pierce and Watson specifically have things you can’t teach… they are bigger and faster. Part of this process is PROJECTION. No doubt Olave was a better college wr and is a better route runner TODAY.

But if you are in the draft and DEVELOP business… I’m betting there are some teams going “I can teach Pierce or Watson how to run better routes”… “I can’t teach Olave to be bigger and faster”.

And look… I’m not saying I hate Olave, I’ll be crazy happy if GB drafts him. Maybe I’m over thinking this but I’m not looking for guys “I like” , I’m trying to figure out who GB likes and would likely draft.

We need help now.  Olave is a far superior route runner and has better hands than Pierce.  I like Pierce just fine but given the choice I'd take Olave in a heartbeat.  Get where you are going but it's like trying to compare Adams to MVS.  Actually think Pierce has more upside than MVS and I would not be upset at all if we draft him.  Just not in the 1st round.  If we could snag Pierce at #59 I'm on board.  Olave will probably be one of the first receivers off the board.  He'll likely be gone before we pick.  If somehow he falls to #22 we'll be lucky.  Way I see it we need two really good players.  Would love it if we scored Olave in the first and followed up with Pierce in the 2nd round.  Nice complementary receivers.  Perfect.

6 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

We need help now.  Olave is a far superior route runner and has better hands than Pierce.  I like Pierce just fine but given the choice I'd take Olave in a heartbeat.  Get where you are going but it's like trying to compare Adams to MVS.  Actually think Pierce has more upside than MVS and I would not be upset at all if we draft him.  Just not in the 1st round.  If we could snag Pierce at #59 I'm on board.  Olave will probably be one of the first receivers off the board.  He'll likely be gone before we pick.  If somehow he falls to #22 we'll be lucky.  Way I see it we need two really good players.  Would love it if we scored Olave in the first and followed up with Pierce in the 2nd round.  Nice complementary receivers.  Perfect.

But do you think the front office of GB is going to enter any draft with this being the main focus of their drafting? My point is… if we need help now, that needed to be address by keeping Adams, or trading him sooner to of been in on other FAs. Or give more money to FAs to secure them.

I don’t believe GB highly values the position to over spend or do crazy things to make it over. Maybe they prove me wrong and on draft day they trade for DK or some weird stuff.

When it comes to the draft they are looking at it as who will be the better WR by careers end. I don’t think they will say let’s pick him because he will be better in year one and we need that with Rodgers, but down the line the other guy will be the better player.

They will pick who they believe is the best player… and if that’s the idea, a lot of factor and opinions go into what makes someone better. And it’s why I said I wouldn’t be surprise if GB has guys like Pierce, Watson and Pickens higher or in the same tier as Olave, Burks, Wilson etc.

And I get why people get upset with that idea… I mean all of these guys are on their boards. So depending on all the factors, each guy has a chance to be a packer.

36 minutes ago, Green19 said:

But everyone has different tiers… your tiers might have Olave and Wilson higher. Someone else might have Watson and Pierce higher. No one can say for sure EVERY scout has them higher.

Pierce and Watson specifically have things you can’t teach… they are bigger and faster. Part of this process is PROJECTION. No doubt Olave was a better college wr and is a better route runner TODAY.

But if you are in the draft and DEVELOP business… I’m betting there are some teams going “I can teach Pierce or Watson how to run better routes”… “I can’t teach Olave to be bigger and faster”.

And look… I’m not saying I hate Olave, I’ll be crazy happy if GB drafts him. Maybe I’m over thinking this but I’m not looking for guys “I like” , I’m trying to figure out who GB likes and would likely draft.

You're on the right path, stay on it. Most teams have 150 or so players on their boards and it's not the 150 best players overall, its the 150 best players for their team and the schemes they run. It is well known that the Patriots only have 70-80 players on their board each year, if they had the same 70-80 players as everyone else they would have no one to draft by the middle of the 3rd round. 

The scheme part of it just totally escapes a fair number of fans and every year they are baffled why the Packers don't draft their draft crushes when there was a good chance that player wasn't even on their board. When Pettine was the DC he wanted large, physical Edge players because that is what his scheme called for. They were never drafting 230-240 Edge players, but some fans would still be pounding the table for them. With WR it should be fairly clear that they are not drafting 180 pound WR's, but here we are like every year with some people debating which 180 pound WR they are going to draft in the 1st round. 

It is the annual trip down the empty rabbit hole that just must be taken, I guess.   

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

So why should I like Christian Watson early so much more than Isaiah Weston late? Age?

If we are going based on the measurements alone… Watson is a better athlete while being slightly taller. Watson has head and shoulder better agility numbers (hence why he does Deebo type things for NDSU).

I would also guess at NDSU Watson plays against better competition.

All things added together he is a better athlete, at a better program. It’s why he is slowly getting talked about as a first rounder and the other is stuck as a day 3 guy.

1 hour ago, NFLGURU said:

Pick #22 comes up and you are on the clock.  3 WRs are surprisingly still on the board.  

A. Jameson Williams

B. Chris Olave

C. Drake London

D. You trade back a couple of slots and get one of them and a later pick.

Assuming your top candidates from other positions are gone. Who are you taking??

Rank them in order.

1. Jameson Williams - Difference maker, big play waiting to happen.  Scares defenses.

2. Chris Olave - Kind of reminds me of Greg Jennings.  Solid receiver and gains separation.

3. Trade Back a couple of slots and get one of them later.

4. Drake London - I want to see him run on April 5th at his pro day workout first.  Can he separate?

17 minutes ago, minnypackerfan said:

1. Jameson Williams - Difference maker, big play waiting to happen.  Scares defenses.

2. Chris Olave - Kind of reminds me of Greg Jennings.  Solid receiver and gains separation.

3. Trade Back a couple of slots and get one of them later.

4. Drake London - I want to see him run on April 5th at his pro day workout first.  Can he separate?

He can not separate… which makes him the perfect packer wr and needs to be higher on this list. Rodgers will have to ear hole DBs still haha.

I’m looking for THREE WR out of this draft and hope they hit on one.   That’s the Ron Wolf way and why all the eggs have been given to the AR basket.   We have 11? picks?   Get volume.     And then they’ll grab another FA or two.   AR, if he’s as great as he says, should make that work like the GOAT did.   

9 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

I’d be stoked for Jamo, Olave or London but I’ve already prepared myself for all 3 to be gone before 22 lol.  

You're a Bama fan, right? What's your take on Metchie?

Good hands, great release/routes, good speed, great quickness?

4 hours ago, Green19 said:

Does LaFleur wanted to start to use FB ala the 49ers? Because the kid out of Purdue just tested with crazy numbers.

Im sure Deguara is meant to be that role… but maybe a 4th or 5th on the guy if they want a more run heavy looking offense with flexibility in the weapons.

Deguara was drafted for the sole purpose of running down a player and tackling them at the 1 yard line for a feel good effort play and nothing more.

4 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Deguara was drafted for the sole purpose of running down a player and tackling them at the 1 yard line for a feel good effort play and nothing more.

Ummm… he single handed tried to increase Jordan Love’s value in the trade market. You show him your respect!

4 hours ago, wgbeethree said:

So why should I like Christian Watson early so much more than Isaiah Weston late? Age?

Age is part of it. Weston will be 25 this year.

With that said, I think Watson is the most overrated WR in the draft. The guy didn’t really produce for ndsu. Pre combine, he was mocked third round (70-100). That grade was all premised on him being a raw athlete which he confirmed. Combines don’t bump you 40-50 slots. He has “too raw athlete”(Mims/Stephon Hill) written all over him. 

Edited by pacman5252
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Green19 said:

But do you think the front office of GB is going to enter any draft with this being the main focus of their drafting? My point is… if we need help now, that needed to be address by keeping Adams, or trading him sooner to of been in on other FAs. Or give more money to FAs to secure them.

I don’t believe GB highly values the position to over spend or do crazy things to make it over. Maybe they prove me wrong and on draft day they trade for DK or some weird stuff.

When it comes to the draft they are looking at it as who will be the better WR by careers end. I don’t think they will say let’s pick him because he will be better in year one and we need that with Rodgers, but down the line the other guy will be the better player.

They will pick who they believe is the best player… and if that’s the idea, a lot of factor and opinions go into what makes someone better. And it’s why I said I wouldn’t be surprise if GB has guys like Pierce, Watson and Pickens higher or in the same tier as Olave, Burks, Wilson etc.

And I get why people get upset with that idea… I mean all of these guys are on their boards. So depending on all the factors, each guy has a chance to be a packer.

Who's upset?  Value is value.  Olave and Wilson will be ranked ahead of Pierce Watson and Pickens on the Packers board. They are better players.  It's quite possible all the top tier players will be gone before the Packers pick.  Also possible if the board isn't going the way they like they could gulp trade up to land one of the top guys.  

Watson, Pierce, and Pickens sure anyone of them would be welcome.  If they go that route they would probably attempt to trade back from #28 to the early second round to land one of the second tier guys.  Could put Dotson in this group as well.  

Again value is value.  They may target a guy but it doesn't mean they have to reach either.  Most scouts will have similar rankings on the receivers.  Class is deep so the Packers will have plenty of opportunities to add.  We need a guy that can separate on short and intermediate routes and a guy that can stretch the field.