2022 NFL Draft Thread

Nick_gb

7 hours ago, Isherwood said:

He ran like *** at his pro day. Shouldn’t matter though, imo. Bet he still goes top 15 

Right, and frankly there's precedent for it because the same thing happened with Derwin in 2018 when he slid to 17. I don't think Hamilton falls that far but crazier things have happened on draft night.

16 hours ago, MaximusGluteus said:

That's been my thinking as well.

Yeah, cutting Jones saves 10m next year. It would be a very easy move if we had a cheap replacement in yr 2 that can be the more quick in space Dillon compliment  (Hall on the higher end, but especially a 4th round guy)

16 hours ago, Sandy said:

Personally I've thrown the idea of their WR requirements out the window. The only two receivers they've brought in during Gute's tenure who don't meet either the height or weight benchmark were both brought in last season. Throw in that Amari only meets the weight requirement and I think they're using another evaluation system now. (although I do say this knowing Cobb was only brought in at ARs request -and that the benchmarks might still be in place for outside receivers).

As I have said before, the requirements seem to be 6'1 and/or 200lbs.  I don't think it is a hard rule that they have written on their draft board or anything, it is just their tendencies being followed.  I don't think a Tarik Cohen type player was ever on their board.  But they are also more inclined to give the Allen Lazards and Geronimo Allisons of the world a shot.  

There is also the "motion" role in this offense that MLF/Gute have utilized.  Tavon Austin was listed at WR, and Tyler Ervin was listed at RB.  Neither were 6'1 nor 200 lbs.  I would argue that this is a different position from WR or RB all together.  Perhaps they value it more than I think.  They utilize Cobb and Jones in this position a little, both are well paid, and it seems that Amari Rodgers fits this role as well, and he was a 3rd round pick.  Incidentally, Both Rodgers and Jones are 200+ lbs.  At the same time, you have to look at a player and ask, is that his game? For example let's use Chris Olave, combine says he is 6'0 187.  Doesn't really fit this "motion" position.  

I think it is safe to use this as a guideline to try to figure out who the Packers will target.  Just like the high RAS players.  Neither is a hard rule, but both sure do fit what the Packers have been doing for the last 4 seasons.  If they draft WR X, and he doesn't fit that "motion" role, and he doesn't meet the "limits" then we can change the limits. 

What the "limits" tell us is that we should look more at:  Drake London, Jameson Williams, Treylon Burks, George Pickens, Alec Pierce and Christian Watson; and less at:  Garrett Wilson, Wan'Dale Robinson, Calvin Austin, Chris Olave, Jahan Dotson, Skyy Moore, and John Metchie;  in regards to who the Packers will probably target in the draft.   

• Like 1

·
1h

Alec Pierce can do all the things asked of a perimeter WR in the Matt LaFleur offense. I bet the Packers love him. He has to be a prime Day 2 candidate at WR.

Agree with Kruse here.  They might have to move to get him if that's the case.
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

As I have said before, the requirements seem to be 6'1 and/or 200lbs.  I don't think it is a hard rule that they have written on their draft board or anything, it is just their tendencies being followed.  I don't think a Tarik Cohen type player was ever on their board.  But they are also more inclined to give the Allen Lazards and Geronimo Allisons of the world a shot.  

There is also the "motion" role in this offense that MLF/Gute have utilized.  Tavon Austin was listed at WR, and Tyler Ervin was listed at RB.  Neither were 6'1 nor 200 lbs.  I would argue that this is a different position from WR or RB all together.  Perhaps they value it more than I think.  They utilize Cobb and Jones in this position a little, both are well paid, and it seems that Amari Rodgers fits this role as well, and he was a 3rd round pick.  Incidentally, Both Rodgers and Jones are 200+ lbs.  At the same time, you have to look at a player and ask, is that his game? For example let's use Chris Olave, combine says he is 6'0 187.  Doesn't really fit this "motion" position.  

I think it is safe to use this as a guideline to try to figure out who the Packers will target.  Just like the high RAS players.  Neither is a hard rule, but both sure do fit what the Packers have been doing for the last 4 seasons.  If they draft WR X, and he doesn't fit that "motion" role, and he doesn't meet the "limits" then we can change the limits. 

What the "limits" tell us is that we should look more at:  Drake London, Jameson Williams, Treylon Burks, George Pickens, Alec Pierce and Christian Watson; and less at:  Garrett Wilson, Wan'Dale Robinson, Calvin Austin, Chris Olave, Jahan Dotson, Skyy Moore, and John Metchie;  in regards to who the Packers will probably target in the draft.   

I was going to address this a number of times in the past week when people wanted to use Amari Rodgers as the reason to believe that any WR is an option in any round for the Packers, but in the post draft press gatherings the Packers had after drafting Rodgers no one would called him a WR. Gutes repeatedly used the term slot-back that first night which made me interested to listen to what others would say and MLF did the same thing a few days later. Don't forget that Rodgers is 212 pounds, he is not small.  

Some people get a little testy when you point out that some players just will not be of interest to the Packers because of scheme they play, they act like they paid for a buffet and someone is telling them they can't eat at certain parts of it. The reality is this applies to every team, not just the Packers. Remember there are players the Packers strongly covet and other teams have zero interest in either. Works both ways.   

40 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Agree with much of this.  I think they want those bigger guys for the routes across the middle.  A guy like Burks could handle that.  A guy like Olave would last about 3 weeks doing that.  

6 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Agree with much of this.  I think they want those bigger guys for the routes across the middle.  A guy like Burks could handle that.  A guy like Olave would last about 3 weeks doing that.  

The middle of the field....you mean AR's Dead Zone?  :)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Just one more reason why the Packers should sprint to the podium for Olave if they get the chance, regardless of the "threshold" nonsense. The guy has Stefon Diggs level moves out there. 

He will be BPA at 22 no matter what. 

55 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Just one more reason why the Packers should sprint to the podium for Olave if they get the chance, regardless of the "threshold" nonsense. The guy has Stefon Diggs level moves out there. 

Now go watch Alec Pierce verse Alabama and what he did at the goal line…promise you, it’s Adams level get open on the first move.

Only to have Ridder get the stupid pass knocked down.

8 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Now go watch Alec Pierce verse Alabama and what he did at the goal line…promise you, it’s Adams level get open on the first move.

Only to have Ridder get the stupid pass knocked down.

I like Pierce. He would be a good Robin to Olave's Batman. Depending on whether the Packers intend to add a serious veteran WR, they should double up early in the draft. 

My combo would be an Olave/Burks with a Watson/Pierce.

• Like 1