2022 NFL Draft Thread

NYRaider

Its gonna be interesting to see what the Raiders do in the draft. It very far away so a lot of things can change but what he do know is the 2022 draft will be OT and EDGE rush heavy. Just invested in a OT and singed Yannick so I wouldn't think it would be a position they would want to go to so early. Some good OGs that could be in the first round. 

With a playoff run possibly this year and the cap room that will be available might be the year to go out and use that 1st round pick on a proven player to help you get closer to what you want. 

17 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Its gonna be interesting to see what the Raiders do in the draft. It very far away so a lot of things can change but what he do know is the 2022 draft will be OT and EDGE rush heavy. Just invested in a OT and singed Yannick so I wouldn't think it would be a position they would want to go to so early. Some good OGs that could be in the first round. 

With a playoff run possibly this year and the cap room that will be available might be the year to go out and use that 1st round pick on a proven player to help you get closer to what you want. 

As it stands right now I would say I would be looking at LB as my top target in the first round for this team. Going strictly off of what we have seen up to this point. Obviously a lot can change between now and draft time. DT could easily wind up being the top target. I still worry and question whether Jefferson, Thomas, and Philon will be good enough over 17 and hopefully more games to the point where we won't want a real potential impact player there. 

But with Thomas looking good, Jefferson playing well, and Philon making some plays I currently would be on the hunt for our Bobby Wagner/Darrius Leonard type. And there are a couple of guys I love in this draft early that I believe could fill that role.

Nakobe Dean from UGA took over the starting role last season as a sophomore and since that time he routinely pops off the screen when I watch (I am a UGA fan). He's undersized at 6' 220 bounds or so. But the dude is just explosive, physical, a tackling machine, and fundamentally sound. He isn't elite yet in terms of his coverage, but no college LB is, and he has all the necessary tools. My biggest knock on him is that he isn't the best blitzer, but that lines up perfectly with our scheme as we don't blitz very often. I believe even at his size he has the ability to be a long term starter at MLB though he could also be Litteltons long term replacement at WLB depending on how the staff feels about Diablo/Morrow/White.

I really want to see what Morrow and White can do in Bradley's defense. They have the tools. But I am of the opinion that an elite MLB can go perhaps the longest way in turning a solid defense into an elite one. Particularly one that has a decent pass rush. The idea of Dean or even Alabamas Christian Harris giving us an impact, all pro/pro bowl caliber LB in the middle is super enticing to me personally. If the DT group continues to play well, a first or second round prospect at LB with Moehrig and Abram on the back end could give us a crazy athletic, physical, tone setting, rangy group that can make plays at all three levels.

I would say right now I would be scouting DT, LB, and CB the hardest in terms of the first round prospects. I think any of those positions could end up being our most glaring need depending on how the season shakes out. And even if the DT group continues to play well and Hayward plays great for us all season, I never think it's a bad idea to add some super talented, cheap talent on the DL or in the secondary. And while guard or center may end up being our truly biggest need, I'm simply not of the opinion that is a position worth taking in the first. I think you are sacrificing tremendous value. Even if the guy you are taking is a great prospect, in my eyes the difference in the potential payoff and impact between hitting on a DT/DE/CB/LB at one of those positions is too great. You have a better chance of finding an all pro guard or center in the second or third round than you do at those positions. 

But even with Yannick being signed and Crosby being a long term piece at DE. I am of the opinion you can never have enough quality edge players. Yannick is only signed through this year and next, and we can't franchise tag him after that. This draft has a ton of talent at EDGE. Obviously you hope that Koonce can be at least a quality designated pass rusher. But I could easily talk myself into thinking one of the EDGE players late in the first, or certainly in the 2nd round or later would be the best pick from a talent standpoint. I mean Nassib may play well enough to be back, but he could just as easily be gone next off season. Ferrell is trending down and he isn't getting his 5th year option picked up, heck I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't here next year. The 1st may be too rich, but in the 2nd round on if there's a guy you absolutely love pull the trigger. It's not like you couldn't find a way to use a 2nd round pick, Yannick, Crosby, and Koonce together. 

Outside of that In the 2nd round I target some interior OL talent, and possibly even double dip on it in the 4th-6th round. 

And in this draft I would be looking at selecting another WR, preferably a big bodied, high upside type guy in the 3rd or 4th round. There's a lot of guys I like in this draft at WR. 

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Seems like Gus Bradley has an eye for talent. 

That matters. When Paul Gunther says lets  get this guy he's worth this amount of money and then switch his position that's gonna affect the team. 

Meanwhile Gus Bradley is going to say let's get this guy that nobody cares about not paying anything and watch them contribute

Another underrated thing is when you have a good defensive coordinator people will want to Play here and for cheaper

2 hours ago, Mr Raider said:

As it stands right now I would say I would be looking at LB as my top target in the first round for this team. Going strictly off of what we have seen up to this point. Obviously a lot can change between now and draft time. DT could easily wind up being the top target. I still worry and question whether Jefferson, Thomas, and Philon will be good enough over 17 and hopefully more games to the point where we won't want a real potential impact player there. 

But with Thomas looking good, Jefferson playing well, and Philon making some plays I currently would be on the hunt for our Bobby Wagner/Darrius Leonard type. And there are a couple of guys I love in this draft early that I believe could fill that role.

Nakobe Dean from UGA took over the starting role last season as a sophomore and since that time he routinely pops off the screen when I watch (I am a UGA fan). He's undersized at 6' 220 bounds or so. But the dude is just explosive, physical, a tackling machine, and fundamentally sound. He isn't elite yet in terms of his coverage, but no college LB is, and he has all the necessary tools. My biggest knock on him is that he isn't the best blitzer, but that lines up perfectly with our scheme as we don't blitz very often. I believe even at his size he has the ability to be a long term starter at MLB though he could also be Litteltons long term replacement at WLB depending on how the staff feels about Diablo/Morrow/White.

I really want to see what Morrow and White can do in Bradley's defense. They have the tools. But I am of the opinion that an elite MLB can go perhaps the longest way in turning a solid defense into an elite one. Particularly one that has a decent pass rush. The idea of Dean or even Alabamas Christian Harris giving us an impact, all pro/pro bowl caliber LB in the middle is super enticing to me personally. If the DT group continues to play well, a first or second round prospect at LB with Moehrig and Abram on the back end could give us a crazy athletic, physical, tone setting, rangy group that can make plays at all three levels.

I would say right now I would be scouting DT, LB, and CB the hardest in terms of the first round prospects. I think any of those positions could end up being our most glaring need depending on how the season shakes out. And even if the DT group continues to play well and Hayward plays great for us all season, I never think it's a bad idea to add some super talented, cheap talent on the DL or in the secondary. And while guard or center may end up being our truly biggest need, I'm simply not of the opinion that is a position worth taking in the first. I think you are sacrificing tremendous value. Even if the guy you are taking is a great prospect, in my eyes the difference in the potential payoff and impact between hitting on a DT/DE/CB/LB at one of those positions is too great. You have a better chance of finding an all pro guard or center in the second or third round than you do at those positions. 

But even with Yannick being signed and Crosby being a long term piece at DE. I am of the opinion you can never have enough quality edge players. Yannick is only signed through this year and next, and we can't franchise tag him after that. This draft has a ton of talent at EDGE. Obviously you hope that Koonce can be at least a quality designated pass rusher. But I could easily talk myself into thinking one of the EDGE players late in the first, or certainly in the 2nd round or later would be the best pick from a talent standpoint. I mean Nassib may play well enough to be back, but he could just as easily be gone next off season. Ferrell is trending down and he isn't getting his 5th year option picked up, heck I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't here next year. The 1st may be too rich, but in the 2nd round on if there's a guy you absolutely love pull the trigger. It's not like you couldn't find a way to use a 2nd round pick, Yannick, Crosby, and Koonce together. 

Outside of that In the 2nd round I target some interior OL talent, and possibly even double dip on it in the 4th-6th round. 

And in this draft I would be looking at selecting another WR, preferably a big bodied, high upside type guy in the 3rd or 4th round. There's a lot of guys I like in this draft at WR. 

If Leatherwood struggles at tackle, I move him to guard and draft/sign another tackle.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

We need to address OL in free agency with proven players.

So trade proven players because they are paid to much, then pay proven players to take to make up for it? Do I have that right?

Best to let this development approach play out if that's the direction you opted to go.  

15 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

So trade proven players because they are paid to much, then pay proven players to take to make up for it? Do I have that right?

Best to let this development approach play out if that's the direction you opted to go.  

Seems to have worked for the defense right? Drafted a bunch of players highly and 5 of our current starters were free agent additions, 2 who were acquired days before the season started. 

The running game has been completely stagnant so far this season and we've already seen Cable's developmental approach in Seattle, their OL was absolutely terrible.