2022 NFL Draft Thread

NYRaider

R1- DeMarvin Leal - DT - stud interior pass rusher! infusion of talent for the DL

R2- Cade Mays - G - plug in play mauler to to the interior of the offense line

R3- Jordan Davs DT- ill add trenches first 3 rounds. could also be another lineman because I think Brandon Parker walks next offseason for a chance to start somewhere. Could redshirt a year before taking Hankins spot. revamp the DTs

R4- Jake Haener QB- need to end the Peterman experiment. This kid Haener is so accurate with a good ball. Would be a top 10 pick if he was bigger (small). be a nice developmental QB, not sure if we can keep MM long term... went to same school as DC, could be a perfect QB2 in time. 

free agency: G, LB (this system calls for talented athletic LBs who cover space), maybe CB (Hayward been ballin), maybe WR (see how Edwards produces)

Edited by Humble_Beast

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

R1- DeMarvin Leal - DT - stud interior pass rusher! infusion of talent for the DL

R2- Cade Mays - G - plug in play mauler to to the interior of the offense line

R3- Jordan Davs DT- ill add trenches first 3 rounds. could also be another lineman because I think Brandon Parker walks next offseason for a chance to start somewhere. Could redshirt a year before taking Hankins spot. revamp the DTs

R4- Jake Haener QB- need to end the Peterman experiment. This kid Haener is so accurate with a good ball. Would be a top 10 pick if he was bigger (small). be a nice developmental QB, not sure if we can keep MM long term... went to same school as DC, could be a perfect QB2 in time. 

free agency: G, LB (this system calls for talented athletic LBs who cover space), maybe CB (Hayward been ballin), maybe WR (see how Edwards produces)

All I'm going to say is that if Solomon Thomas ends up getting eight sacks this season somehow we need to pay that man

• Like 1

It's only been two games this season but the D seems much improved and obviously the O seems to be carrying on from last year so there should be no super obvious holes like there's been the last few years. We absolutely should be looking at a BPA draft and even trading up if necessary for a difference maker or two IMO. 

In the last few drafts we've had obvious holes like CB, WR and OT that we've picked and reached for need at and then we've seemed to draft for depth in the mid and late rounds. We have some cap space in FA to eradicate any obvious holes that get created by guys leaving etc. so I'd really like to see us target a quality over quantity type draft where we add a handful of really impactful guys, doesn't really matter the position.

I think we're at that stage where we are potentially a decent to good team that needs a couple difference makers to really make waves in the playoffs - we should be a team that is capable of reaching the playoffs or competing very hard this year frankly in my estimation at least. If we can give up a 2nd for example to land a blue chip 1st round prospect then I'd be very tempted to do it this year -  I wouldn't do this in general and usually advocate trading down but there comes a time when you have to back yourselves and go big. There's only so much 'depth' we can keep drafting and I'd prefer to come away with two really good players than a hatful of decent or depth guys with the shape the team looks to be in. I hope we think like this and the draft could be pretty exciting.

Edited by Darbsk
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Jeremy408 said:

If one of the defensive tackles that we have on the cheap deal breaks out I say we pay that person the combination of all of the other defensive tackles salary next year

That is almost $11 million.  Why not go out and sign the best DT you can find.  I doubt the highest paid gets over $11 next year.  I know he is old but just like KJ Wright I wanted us to draft this guy and sign him every time he was a FA.  I want to sign Brandon Williams.  I think he signs for significantly less next year.  He blew up a handful of plays against us week 1.

31 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

That is almost $11 million.  Why not go out and sign the best DT you can find.  I doubt the highest paid gets over $11 next year.  I know he is old but just like KJ Wright I wanted us to draft this guy and sign him every time he was a FA.  I want to sign Brandon Williams.  I think he signs for significantly less next year.  He blew up a handful of plays against us week 1.

But yeah a defensive tackle getting 7 or 8 sacks is like 11 or 12 sacks for a defensive end. So that being said 11 million is actually a lowball deal for a defensive tackle that's able to give us that 

If the season ended right now...

My thoughts on needs goes as follows:

IOL - C, G or any combination.  We have to get better at giving our RBs a chance.  Barber got over the century mark today, however it's been way too tough sledding to be consistent.  I'm not sure kicking Leatherwood inside and drafting a T is out of the question.  

LB - We need to squash this bringing guys in as stop gaps.  Love the KJ signing.  Liked Kwait, and Corey signings.  Perryman has balled.  But these guys are long in the tooth and youth, a guy who can put the C on his chest and be comfortable in the middle of the field with a green dot is a must.  

CB - Arnette isn't taking over after Hayward leaves.  Mullen is a stud.  Hopefully Hobbs takes that step next season, no reason so far to think he won't.  But another boundary corner should be in the cards.  

DT - A penetrating DT to assist Maxx and Yannick is an absolute must.  I think Philon has been a great find.  Hank is getting up there and is a run stuffing guy.  Solomon Thomas has been brought spot as well but I'm not sure I trust that just yet.  If Philon and Thomas continue to do their thing, this becomes less of an issue.  

Probably missed something but that's my quick list. 

Edited by Totty
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Totty said:

If the season ended right now...

My thoughts on needs goes as follows:

IOL - C, G or any combination.  We have to get better at giving our RBs a chance.  Barber got over the century mark today, however it's been way too tough sledding to be consistent.  I'm not sure kicking Leatherwood inside and drafting a T is out of the question.  

LB - We need to squash this bringing guys in as stop gaps.  Love the KJ signing.  Liked Kwait, and Corey signings.  Perryman has balled.  But these guys are long in the tooth and youth, a guy who can put the C on his chest and be comfortable in the middle of the field with a green dot is a must.  

CB - Arnette isn't taking over after Hayward leaves.  Mullen is a stud.  Hopefully Hobbs takes that step next season, no reason so far to think he won't.  But another boundary corner should be in the cards.  

DT - A penetrating DT to assist Maxx and Yannick is an absolute must.  I think Philon has been a great find.  Hank is getting up there and is a run stuffing guy.  Solomon Thomas has been brought spot as well but I'm not sure I trust that just yet.  If Philon and Thomas continue to do their thing, this becomes less of an issue.  

Probably missed something but that's my quick list. 

Hayward will stick around at this rate IMO. DT/LB and interior OL are the biggest needs for me.

3 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Hayward will stick around at this rate IMO. DT/LB and interior OL are the biggest needs for me.

Jordan Davis (DT, Georgia), Tyler Linderbaum (C, Iowa), Kenyon Green (OL, Texas A&M), Ikem Okwonu (OL, NC State), Zachary Carter (DT, Florida) are all guys that would be excellent additions.