2022 NFL Draft Thread

NYRaider

Georgia Defense love giving me Clemson Defense love from a few years ago. Davis is a BEAST and is top 15 for sure now but agree with Bobby that he's more of a two down stud. Rather have a fat Cortez Kennedy who's so good you never take him off the field and let him eat. Davis would be a great addition but big NT types can be found later. Davis's size reminds me of Jags with Henderson and Haynesworth. Problem is injuries with those 6'5+ big guys at DT. 

What I'm liking is the fact we made the playoffs and will have someone who could contribute @ 22 as I don't see us getting an All Pro there but a starter that will fill out/round out the team. DT/OT/WR/CB one of those will be there and maybe a couple good ones that allow a trade down. Looking forward to see what our leaders do and how they work together to get talent. FA/Draft and who we resign/extend. Should be an exciting off season filled with good expectations. Unfortunately I'm caring less about football since Mack was traded. Use to be a never work on Sundays/Monday nights and GLUED to the tv. Lack of loyality with Mack trade, calling Gruden his name and not 'Chucky' because he lost that edge he had before, NFL feeling too much like a business than a sport, the gambling fantasy is what they care about than the sport, AB being ab, then add in all the non NFL stuff and top it off with NFL saying 'safety' and they feel like politicians which adding politics/tribalism and...Well, it's been a LOT easier to not care as much during the season and I missed quite a few games but gained other things to do. NFL won't miss me and I'll always think of myself as a Raider fan bur other than seeing the 'rumba' as I drive by when I'm there my unvaxxed arse won't be going inside or spending any money on anything Raider/NFL related so...They might miss my cash but not me. lol

1 hour ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Here we are enamored with athleticism and ignoring the fact that he's mostly going to be a 2 down player who has problems keeping his weight down. That's fine people here are doing it bc literally everyone does it. Yes, it's very impressive that he can move like that for someone at his size but that last part is a big problem..... no pun intended lol

This. he is still a 2down dt in my book. It’s a shame he can’t play all three downs. People fall in love with his 40. I liked the way he dipped in the 4 bag blocker drill. Big boy got low ripping around that last bag. Amazing combine tho

• Like 3

Thing about the so called “two down player” that irks me is that it’s totally  misleading.

An impact “two down” d-lineman implies that we’re consistently getting the opposing defense into 3rd and long distances. If that’s the case, a monster DT that shuts down the run and forces long 3rd downs is immensely impactful. You know for a fact that he’s still in on 3rd and short and goaline.

I’ll take a game changer that forces teams to become 1 dimensional. Look at the Bucs, you can’t run on them, so teams have to pass allowing their stud edges to get after the QB because they’re now in KNOWN passing situations.  

Having the monster up front allows the management to start tailoring the defense with players that perform better in space at the 2nd level as opposed to getting “thumpers” in the middle. Which indirectly improves the pass defense too. Also, having guys up front that simply collapse the pocket might not make the stat sheet, but you better believe hinders a QBs ability to step up and throw. 

I’ve always been enamored with having two big, strong DTs up front.  I was a big fan of Billings the year he came out as he was considered one of the strongest men in the NFL the moment he stepped on the field and hope we can pair him with another behemoth. You crush the run, force single blocks on Yannick and Max and allow your other tank to go one on one and simply drive them back into the QBs lap… 

Different era, but one of our best defenses was in 2002. Our DTs were Sam Adams and John Parrella, both considered premium run stuffer. Big boys up front make a huge difference…

Edited by 101Raider
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, 101Raider said:

Thing about the so called “two down player” that irks me is that it’s totally  misleading.

An impact “two down” d-lineman implies that we’re consistently getting the opposing defense into 3rd and long distances. If that’s the case, a monster DT that shuts down the run and forces long 3rd downs is immensely impactful. You know for a fact that he’s still in on 3rd and short and goaline.

I’ll take a game changer that forces teams to become 1 dimensional. Look at the Bucs, you can’t run on them, so teams have to pass allowing their stud edges to get after the QB because they’re now in KNOWN passing situations.  

Having the monster up front allows the management to start tailoring the defense with players that perform better in space at the 2nd level as opposed to getting “thumpers” in the middle. Which indirectly improves the pass defense too. Also, having guys up front that simply collapse the pocket might not make the stat sheet, but you better believe hinders a QBs ability to step up and throw. 

I’ve always been enamored with having two big, strong DTs up front.  I was a big fan of Billings the year he came out as he was considered one of the strongest men in the NFL the moment he stepped on the field and hope we can pair him with another behemoth. You crush the run, force single blocks on Yannick and Max and allow your other tank to go one on one and simply drive them back into the QBs lap… 

Different era, but one of our best defenses was in 2002. Our DTs were Sam Adams and John Parrella, both considered premium run stuffer. Big boys up front make a huge difference…

Both those guy's could also rush the passer

On 3/4/2022 at 11:14 PM, Dessie said:

How does everyone rank the corners in this draft ? Seems like there are issues with most of the top ones ; 

1. Stingley - injury prone
  2. Gardner - technique & penalties
  3. McDuffie - size 
  4. Booth - limited starts (15)
  5. Elam - got beat on a few deep plays 
  6. Gordon - lacking instincts 

I like Woolen but his tackling is an issue. 

Wow Woolen with a 4.31? 

3 hours ago, roi34 said:

actually ok with getting wyatt

That UGA DL was nasty last year. I fear that some may turn out to be a product of their surroundings. I'm cautious about wanting any of them. I think I might like Walker the best. This is why I'm a little concerned about Dean as well. How much did he benefit from the guys up front? I don't think I'd be upset with any of those guys in the first but Davis is the most concerning for good reason

24 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

That UGA DL was nasty last year. I fear that some may turn out to be a product of their surroundings. I'm cautious about wanting any of them. I think I might like Walker the best. This is why I'm a little concerned about Dean as well. How much did he benefit from the guys up front? I don't think I'd be upset with any of those guys in the first but Davis is the most concerning for good reason

After seeing there production combined with their testing I have very little concern with the big boys upfront.  Conditioning with Davis is a possible red flag but beyond that I have nothing.  They could bust but I think the chances of their skills translating well to the pros is very high.

same could of been said of Miami defense players way back when. no telling until u take em also we got yannick and crosby so he has talent around him still

• Like 1

🎯 about dean I question his ability to shed blocks personally 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 101Raider said:

Disagree. Neither of those guys were considered pass rushers by any stretch of the imagination. Both were run stuffers. Any pass rush was a bonus.

DT’s that rush the passer are arguably the most valuable players on defense. Hankins is already a good run stuffing DT. If we draft a DT in the first round they better be a pass rushing force. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Personally I’d rather have Devin Lloyd or Nakobe dean over Jordan Davis. There is value at dt in day 2 if we can’t get Wyatt IMO.

Love dean, we def need a LB that can do it all.. and he can. Think we got potential in deablo, pair another young stud with him and then load up the front. Wish we were eagles atm 3 first rounders haha.. 

CB/DT/WR all in first would change team dramatically in 1 yr

• Like 2