2022 NFL Draft Thread

NYRaider

On 3/2/2022 at 11:45 PM, jimkelly02 said:

I’ll just (almost) never get behind the idea of drafting a DT in round 1.  That’s just my preference, I respect if others want that but it ain’t for me.  At best Davis is likely to play 55% of the snaps, give or take, and 50-60% of those snaps are going to end up passes.  He just doesn’t have enough pass rush my liking.  And 55% of 55% ain’t enough run snaps to substantiate #22 for me.  I do love his length and “tackling range” though.  But when you look around the NFL, and this extends back in history too, and look at where the upper level NTs were drafted it’s more often then not the later rounds or their undrafted.  I’ve said it for quite some time, we should have been developing 2 NTs for at least the last 3 years.  NTs take time to develop.   

If we trade back to end of the first and he’s there, okay… I’d get behind that.  But I see a bunch of good young NTs hitting FA and they probably can be had for cheap.  I’d rather go that route.  Sign them for 2-4 years for anywhere from $4-9M and start taking a late round NT every year or sign a top UDFA.  WR is a much bigger need for us IMO.  Look at the impact losing Ruggs had on the offense, heck the whole team.  I don’t want to spend $15,18,20M on a WR.  There will likely be a few good ones to pick from at 22.

The reason I think we need multiple big DTs is because everybody in NFL is going for it on 4th down with a quarterback sneak. We need to stop that

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I love Metchie as well but I'm going to keep beating the Dotson drum

I'd be happy enough with Dotson. 

I've just seen way too many one year guys like Jameo fall absolutely flat. It's not a guarantee, but I just tend to avoid them in general. 

I wish ridgeway wasn’t climbing so much, would be a great 4th rd pick. 
wyatt

watson/dotson

muma 

ridgeway

but that means rt and cb for sure in fa.

jackson/Moses/MVS? Possibly?

problem is muma and ridgeway prolly sneak in late 2nd and 3rd. We’ll see.

Edited by Devilshark69

4 hours ago, Devilshark69 said:

I wish ridgeway wasn’t climbing so much, would be a great 4th rd pick. 
wyatt

watson/dotson

muma 

ridgeway

but that means rt and cb for sure in fa.

jackson/Moses/MVS? Possibly?

problem is muma and ridgeway prolly sneak in late 2nd and 3rd. We’ll see.

Depending on who is available at 22, I would love to trade back. We'll probably be just behind on the real stars in round 1, but this is the type of class where quantity can offset some quality if you're looking for the right position. 

Frankly, I say load up on day 2 picks if we can. 

• Like 2

Just now, BayRaider said:

So Rich Eisen and his sources say two teams are interested in Derek Carr. Colts and Browns. Colts don’t have the draft ammo… but what if the Browns shocked the world? Two 1sts, Mayfield on his final year, a third, and fourth, for Carr and a 5th. 

I’m not a Baker fan, but he is a better version of Mac Jones and McDaniels did wonders with Jones and an excellent fit in McDaniels system. 

That's the one scenario I'd be okay with trading Carr.

Any takers on this? And would the more educated think it’s realistic? 

22. Devonte Wyatt DT/Chris Olave WR

53. Christian Watson WR/De’Marvin Leal DT

86. Damone Clark LB 

124. Ed Ingram OG

163. Nick Cross S

164. Coby Bryant CB

225. Hassan Haskins RB

In this scenario, ideal free agency would be 3 main targeted positions.. JC Jackson CB, Morgan Moses RT and one of Allen Robinson, DJ Chark or Christian Kirk.. Shores up #1 CB, an established consistent RT and a vet WR. We have the cap room after other upcoming releases/restructures to make these deals work and also tons of cap space in 2023-2025 to make things work as far as other extensions/lightly backloaded deals that can be done after June 1st money is available (Carr, Crosby, Renfrow, Waller, Yannick).. As for roster depth, I’m sure there are guys JMD and Graham will bring in that are 3rd wave type signings similar to how guys came on the cheap for Bradley last year.. I’d also be open to bringing back guys like Zay, Jefferson, Philon and Hankins if they were 2-3 year/3-5 mil per year type of deals.. Looking forward to the next few weeks and months to see what direction the new staff goes!

• Like 3

22. Garrett Wilson | WR | Ohio State

53. DeMarvin Leal | DT | Texas A&M

86. Brian Asamoah | LB | Oklahoma

124. Coby Bryant | CB | Cincinnati 

163. Thayer Munford | OG | Ohio State

164. Pierre Strong | RB | South Dakota State

224. Smoke Monday | S | Auburn

2 minutes ago, reddevil said:

^^^  Leal is interesting. He was being mocked high and discussed as one of the top DTs fairly recently.

I know he didn’t have the combine to compare with the Georgia dline - but what’s the deal with him?

Kind of a tweener as he's not explosive/bendy enough to be a DE but needs to get bigger to play DT full time. Wasn't great against the run, tested poorly, and got in trouble for weed fairly recently.