2022 Draft Talk

swede700

5 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

No one is saying to “just grab one QB in the first” …. But if your scouts/director evaluate a 1st round QB and say “we think he has the tools to become top 10 QB, tho he comes with the risk of having X,Y,Z.” …. Then you should roll the dice, and possibly even move up for them  

I can’t fully comment on Ponder, as I don’t know if there was anything revealed on if Rick thought Ponder was a future top QB (even if he was the 4/5th QB of the board). My sense is they didn’t feel strongly for Ponder, hence they didn’t attempt to trade up. 

So the potential situations are not entirely comparable. Don’t be gun shy, just because a previous GM made a mistake. 

Yes that all works out, but what if the staff doesn’t think that about any of these guys? Or what if they only believe one of them are and another team with more draft capitol moves in front of them? If there isn’t even a QB who is projected to go top 5 in the draft, typically it leads most of the average online evaluators to believe there probably isn’t to many of “those” guys in this draft. 

2 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Yes that all works out, but what if the staff doesn’t think that about any of these guys? Or what if they only believe one of them are and another team with more draft capitol moves in front of them? If there isn’t even a QB who is projected to go top 5 in the draft, typically it leads most of the average online evaluators to believe there probably isn’t to many of “those” guys in this draft. 

Anything is possible, but I’m not close to the idea if our evaluators think differently then online evaluators. 

4 hours ago, battle2heaven said:

Irv smith is actually a pretty decent blocker actually. 

For a guy 6-2 240 sure he blocks well enough but he is absolutely not going to get any awards for his blocking ability.  Considering the OT issues, I want a great blocker at TE not just a decent blocker.  The dude has only started 14 games in three years at Minnesota and this up coming year is his last on his rookie deal, not sure they resign him because honestly is he worth it?  Granted he could blow up this year and do great but what is great, 1000 yards receiving?  He would be lucky to get 400 yards and that would be a career year.

Granted if Conklin is signed then yeah all of it means nothing because honestly Conklin is better than Smith.  Maybe the blocking TE could be Ellefson who was impressive this year, Stoker was awful and Herndon was even worse and Davidson who knows what he can do.  

4 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

No one is saying to “just grab one QB in the first” …. But if your scouts/director evaluate a 1st round QB and say “we think he has the tools to become top 10 QB, tho he comes with the risk of having X,Y,Z.” …. Then you should roll the dice, and possibly even move up for them  

I can’t fully comment on Ponder, as I don’t know if there was anything revealed on if Rick thought Ponder was a future top QB (even if he was the 4/5th QB of the board). My sense is they didn’t feel strongly for Ponder, hence they didn’t attempt to trade up. 

So the potential situations are not entirely comparable. Don’t be gun shy, just because a previous GM made a mistake. 

Isn't that always true? Is anyone saying they should pass on a QB if they believe there is a really good starter there? 

People are saying pass, because they don't think one is there....

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Purplepride323 said:

1. Ahmad Gardner - CB

2. Jermaine Johnson - DE

3. Jeremy Ruckert - TE

5. Alec Lindstrom - C/G

6. Max Borghi - RB

6. Reggie Roberson - WR

6. Micah McFadden - LB

7. Markquese Bell - S

Would be great but I do not see how Jermaine Johnson would fall that far, he could easily go late 1st round or could be picked early 2nd round.  Could argue every single one of these teams could go DE or rush OLB in the early 2nd round so I would be shocked to see Johnson fall to 46th in the 2nd round.

34.   Detroit Lions - 
35.   New York Jets - 
36.   New York Giants - 
37.   Houston Texans - 
38.   New York Jets 
39.   Chicago Bears - 
40.   Denver Broncos - 
41.  Seattle Seahawks - 
43.   Atlanta Falcons - 
44.   Cleveland Browns - 
45.   Baltimore Ravens -

Could he is a Eden Prairie kid no question though.  Borghi I would not mind I love his toughness and versatility out of the backfield.  McFadden is awesome and I would be surprised if he fell to the 6th round.  Bell I do not know much about, will need to watch him, will be interesting to see what he does at the combine.  Looks like a big time hitter, if he times out well with tape like that he could go middle rounds or much higher than the 7th.  

I know this might not be too popular or realistic seeing as we've moved on from Rick but I really want the Vikings to trade back if they can.

Our defense has holes all through the secondary and aging stars. If we could trade back in the first and use the additional draft capital to draft speed on all levels of the defense I think this would set us up best for the foreseeable future.

3 hours ago, viking said:

I know this might not be too popular or realistic seeing as we've moved on from Rick but I really want the Vikings to trade back if they can.

Our defense has holes all through the secondary and aging stars. If we could trade back in the first and use the additional draft capital to draft speed on all levels of the defense I think this would set us up best for the foreseeable future.

I'm all for trading back

3 hours ago, viking said:

Rick might have gotten a little carried away with trading back by I hope the new GM still works on getting extra fast picks when he can

15 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Willis is probably the only QB who has 1st round physical traits. 

What do you mean by physical traits? Arm, sure. I think him and Strong have the best arms. Athleticism? Yes. But that's really it. His size is ordinary. His actual football tape is not first round worthy though.