2022 Draft Talk

swede700

3 hours ago, viking said:

Kelce the best revieiving tight end of all time and Hill one of the most game breaking recievers of all time aren't dominant? What?

We only have JJ who is on the level of Hill or Kelce

You just ignore the existence of Thielen?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

You just ignore the existence of Thielen?  

The soon to be 32 year old Thielen hasn't had over 1000 yards since 2018 and is absolutely on the decline. He will be a good role player for a year or two but he isn't dominant.

Thielen has never been on the level of Hill or Kelce

• Like 1

If yards are all that you’re going to judge a receiver by, you’re missing half the picture (at least). 

Adam Thielen, over the past four years, has more TDs than Kelce, and only 4 fewer TDs than Hill. Over the past two years, Thielen has more TDs than Kelce, and the same amount of TDs as Hill. Despite missing nearly three quarters of a season worth of games.

While Hill and Kelce may be more apt for the explosive play, to say that Thielen isn’t, or has never played, at their level is flat out untrue. 

Age and injury history are certainly something that needs to be considered when it comes to the future of Thielen. But there’s been zero indication of decline due to his age or previous injuries. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

If yards are all that you’re going to judge a receiver by, you’re missing half the picture (at least). 

Adam Thielen, over the past four years, has more TDs than Kelce, and only 4 fewer TDs than Hill. Over the past two years, Thielen has more TDs than Kelce, and the same amount of TDs as Hill. Despite missing nearly three quarters of a season worth of games.

While Hill and Kelce may be more apt for the explosive play, to say that Thielen isn’t, or has never played, at their level is flat out untrue. 

Age and injury history are certainly something that needs to be considered when it comes to the future of Thielen. But there’s been zero indication of decline due to his age or previous injuries. 

I love Thielen but you have some purple tinted glasses on if you think he's ever played at the level of Hill & Kelce. Kelce is indisputably top 2/3 as a TE and also the best recieving tight end while Hill has consistently been a top 3/5 WR. I'd say Thielen at his best was a top 10 WR while right now he's around a top 25 reciever - One of the best number 2s in the league and still deadly in the redzone.

That's why, as we move toward a more pass heavy system (Rams led the league in 3 WR sets), I'd love for the Vikings to draft a WR (Drake London please). Let Adam do his thing in the redzone for his remaining couple of years and take some pressure off JJ. Let Irv Smith, IMS & Osbourne be role players.

My preference in the first round WR --> CB --> EDGE

EDIT: also just seen in the KOC offense thread that the Rams liked to use Kupp to block down on a LB in the run game - I think the 6'5" London would be great in that role 😎

Edited by viking

18 hours ago, viking said:

The soon to be 32 year old Thielen hasn't had over 1000 yards since 2018 and is absolutely on the decline. He will be a good role player for a year or two but he isn't dominant.

Thielen has never been on the level of Hill or Kelce

I think if utilized correctly, even if that means being a strict slot WR, Thielen could probably play until he's 36-37.

33 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

WR in the first is simply a luxury pick. Especially with how deep the WR class is. 

Kupp/Kelce/Hill/Woods/Thielen all have something in common: none were first round picks. 

This defense is too deficient to ignore it in the first round. 

Was Jamar Chase a Luxury pick for the Bengals?

last two Superbowls:

2020 Bucs vs Chiefs

Chiefs have two HOF recieving options

Bucs added Antonio Brown & Gronk to an already stacked recieving core

2021 Rams vs Bengals

Bengals drafted Jamar Chase 5th overall to an already good recieving core while having a worse OL than us.

Rams added OBJ in free agency while already having Kupp & Woods.

The defense needs some love but taking a WR in round 1 isn't a luxury pick for any team. They make the QBs life easier and after QB are the key to having a top offense (which gives you the best chance at winning championships).

Assuming the following have already been drafted

EDGE Hutchinson, Thibodeaux

S Hamilton

OT Evan Neal 

Players I'd be happy with at pick 12 

EDGE Karlaftis

CB Stingley, Gardner, McDuffie

WR Garrett Wilson, Drake London

OT Ikem Ekwonu

-------------------------

Players I'd be happy with if we secured a trade down (Steelers potentially)

OC Linderbaum

WR Jameson Williams

EDGE Ojabo

CB Andrew Booth

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, 155 players represented by 13 different agencies are prepared to announce on Monday a formal boycott of the 2022 Scouting Combine.

The NFL issued on Saturday an email regarding restrictions that will apply to this year’s Combine, due to the ongoing pandemic. The league intends to create a bubble environment, which will strictly limit the ability of players to interact with others.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/02/20/source-up-to-155-players-will-announce-scouting-combine-boycott-on-monday/