Are the N.Y. Giants on the rise, or in football purgatory?

aceinthehouse

Judge seems like a good coach although early, but questions still loom for QB Daniel Jones.

I couldn't believe it when I looked...but since the Giants beat the Patriots in the SB in the 2011 Season? 

Washington, Dallas & Philly have each won the Division 3x each.

Giants...0

They've had a very good off-season with signing Golliday, Rudolph, etc. & stocked up on draft picks for the future with that trade down with the Bears.

They'll get RB Barkley back for the season from injury.

So my question to all of you is, as my thread title says...

Are the Giants a team on the rise, with the additions they've made for the team & draft picks set up for 2022?

Or are they in football purgatory with a QB & a head coach of uncertain skill & a star RB recovering from severe injury with an arrow that neither points up, or down for all the above?

What say you?

I mean probably purgatory. I think QB is only a one year fix and other than selecting playcallers I think the importance of the head coaching position is overrated. So they don’t have to be. But the fact that they had a chance to get Fields and didn’t and Judge went with Garrett at OC makes me think these aren’t the people to do it.

• Like 1

They’ll end up in purgatory if Jones doesn’t get better & they commit to him long term. Other than that, you have to like some of what they’ve been doing since Judge has been brought in. 

Still some improvements to be made defensively and along the OL, but they’ve made some quality moves. Short term, it really rides on Jones. 

Purgatory. They should've drafted Najee Harris with their first pick after they traded down and got a future 1st on top of some other capital. The pick was a no brainer and they blew it. The broadcasters said it bluntly while they were OTC... they HAVE to get an impact player with this pick, due to the description you described in the OP. And Najee Harris was the most impactful player on the board.

I know they have Saquon Barkley but they're already overworking him and playing him thru injury in low stakes situations. They're going to break him and ruin his "blue jacket" career. When instead they could've had Najee Harris ready to sub in for the following 3 plays and beat the hell out of the defense right after Barkley breaks off one of his signature 50 yard runs then wash, rinse, repeat. Before the draft Harris was asked who the best RB in the NFL was and said Saquon no question, so I doubt Saquon would've been mad about the pick, it's not a Rodgers/Love situation. And overall they could've ran a RPO heavy offense to help save Daniel Jones career.

But they drafted Kadarius Toney instead. Another GM fails to listen to Kirill, another one bites the dust.

Edited by Kirill

It depends on Jones. If he improves like Baker did last season then the Giants are on the rise. If he doesn’t improve the Giants need to move off of him and go find someone else that could better. They don’t want to stick to Jones HOPING he will get better each year with the ready made team around him. That will definitely be purgatory because they won’t be bad enough to get a top 3 pick but won’t be good enough to make the playoffs. Then the health of Barkley is key too. If Jones is the guy they won’t have to lean on Barkley to be the offense. So this year is the training wheels coming off for Jones with getting Barkley back and lots of weapons on offense. Jones have to show that Baker type leap this year. Winning the division or at least getting a wildcard spot is the expectations. If Jones can’t deliver then, barring significant injuries, I’d strongly consider moving off of Jones next offseason. 

Edited by stl4life07

8 hours ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

But the fact that they had a chance to get Fields and didn’t and Judge went with Garrett at OC makes me think these aren’t the people to do it.

Judge did not go with Garrett by choice. The owner of the team wanted someone on staff with head coaching experience on it  for Judge to lean on. 

8 hours ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

I mean probably purgatory. I think QB is only a one year fix and other than selecting playcallers I think the importance of the head coaching position is overrated. So they don’t have to be. But the fact that they had a chance to get Fields and didn’t and Judge went with Garrett at OC makes me think these aren’t the people to do it.

Ok with your logic then The Bears going after Fields makes me think Fields isn't the guy to do it. These are the guys who mindlessly traded up 1 spot to draft Tribusky.

I know we all saw Fields on TV the most after Lawrence, but something tells me he doesn't have the mind to dominate in the NFL. It's really that simple, you either got it or you don't then you work from there. Not to hijack this thread but the Bears are the ones about to enter real purgatory. And believe me I've seen it so I know what it looks like and it's very difficult to get out of. They should've just drafted Kellen Mond or some ish in the 3rd. But yea the real purgatory won't be for a few years so enjoy your 6-11 and Khalil Mack, etc. while you can Bears fans.

Edited by Kirill

I absolutely think they could wind up in a precarious situation. I like a lot of what they've done building that team over the past two offseasons or so. Their weapons are excellent. I think the OL has potential, with Solder back and Thomas progressing. I think their defense overachieved substantially, which is a good sign for the coaching there, and they added a few more pieces to it this offseason. I think the potential is there for it to be a very well-rounded, talented roster. And if Jones doesn't progress (and personally, I don't think he will, I think he is what he is and I don't see Judge or Garrett being the guys to change that), that could put them in a really miserable spot, where they're too good to suck for a QB, but too bad with their current QB to go anywhere. If they're lucky, either they suck enough or the Bears suck enough for one of those picks to be in franchise QB range next year. Otherwise I'd be wary of them winding up in that limbo of "Daniel Jones clearly isn't a great QB, but look how he took us to 9 wins, we have to give next year a shot." Because I really like that roster. But it doesn't matter if you get the Jones we've seen thus far.

1 hour ago, Kirill said:

I know we all saw Fields on TV the most after Lawrence, but something tells me he doesn't have the mind to dominate in the NFL. It's really that simple,

"doesn't have the mind to dominate in the NFL"

LMAO.

giphy.gif

I wonder what that "something" is but at the same time I'm afraid to ask.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

"doesn't have the mind to dominate in the NFL"

LMAO.

giphy.gif

I wonder what that "something" is but at the same time I'm afraid to ask.

Probably the fact that he looks like a little boy and that his stock fell throughout the draft process and that the least competent organization in the mix for a QB we’re the ones to go after him.

The NFL is chess, not checkers. If your brain isn’t wired a certain way it’s not going to work. Which is why everyone but the Bears all reached the same conclusion or else he would’ve went much higher.

Edited by Kirill