UPDATE: Morgan Moses Released! Geron Christian too!

MikeT14

4 minutes ago, e16bball said:

This really isn’t true, though.

It is and it isn't. 

The team agreed to pay them all the guaranteed money no matter what, and to pay them the other money as long as they’re on the roster. That’s what they’re contractually obligated to do. That’s how all NFL player contracts work. 

You're correct. I'm just stringing along the notion that they made a contract too. The NFL is a whole different animal from normal life, I get that. But these are people too. Getting pissy with millionaires while billionaires get richer isn't helping the little man in any way.

Players are under absolutely no requirement to sign a standard contract with only a portion of the money guaranteed. Kirk Cousins, as much as I don’t care for the guy, should have been a trend-setter in the area of demanding fully (or at least more) guaranteed contracts. But they continue to accept these big deals with lots of non-guaranteed money, willingly — and then they come back and cry later about none of their money being guaranteed. And threaten to break the contract if the team doesn’t tear it up and give them something new. It’s dirty pool, in my opinion. 

I can't believe it hasn't taken off more to be fair. 

I don’t care that much, because I feel as though most NFL players lack equal leverage and negotiating power when compared to the team, so I think the terms are a little uneven because the balance of power is a little uneven. But still, technically at least, these players are breaking the contracts in a way that the teams just aren’t.

I'm with you there. 

Letting Morgan Moses go for nothing is another mismanagement. Obviously if you tip your hand that he will be cut if you dont get a "good offer" reduces the number of suitors you could have. They would have been smarter to shop him earlier (like before the draft) so you don't seem desperate to move on.

At the end of the day, I'm not bothered he isn't the starting RT anymore, but I do think it's a mismanagement of resources to get nothing (other than cap relief) from an average starting tackle. 

Edited by Slappy Mc
  • Like 3

Just now, lavar703 said:

So we won’t from a good/decent starting RT to nothing. If Cosmi bombs they’re going to be in a hell of a rough spot. 

We do have David Sharpe and Cornelius Lucas to go along with Cosmi, but I feel what you are saying. They definitely are putting a lot of eggs in the Cosmi is capable basket. 

• Like 1

I'm not ruling out the possibility that they see Charles as a potential replacement at RT as well.  If that's the case, the OT room was super crowded.  I still don't agree with the timing though, even though I'm sure they felt they needed to ensure they got a potential starter at OT in the draft before releasing him.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Never seen such turnover of a roster. 

I guess I don’t understand the point of it all? Is it simply due to the fact they were brought in by another regime because that’s kinda what this feels like. And it’s just weird seeing them do this, basically leaving no stone unturned while continuing to ignore the most important position on the field. Well I consider signing Fitz still ignoring the problem. Others seem to think that’s not the case but I digress. 

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

What about when the team signs a player to a 5 year contract and then cuts him after 2? The team refused to fulfill the contract. 

So do teams. 

You are simply wrong.  Teams don't break contracts.  If they release players it is allowed in the contract.  If they trade players it is because there isn't a no trade clause.  etc.  Players choose to sign these contracts knowing this.  Just like most people sign contracts with employers where they can terminate without cause at any time.  No one is forcing people to agree to these terms.    If people or players don't think it is fair, then they shouldn't sign the contract.  

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, offbyone said:

You are simply wrong.  Teams don't break contracts.  If they release players it is allowed in the contract.  If they trade players it is because there isn't a no trade clause.  etc.  Players choose to sign these contracts knowing this.  Just like most people sign contracts with employers where they can terminate without cause at any time.  No one is forcing people to agree to these terms.    If people or players don't think it is fair, then they shouldn't sign the contract.  

I think you’re misinterpreting what I am saying. Players holding out for more (if their value deems it), shouldn’t be any different than a team cutting someone for not fulfilling it. I’m much better at my job than I was 5 years ago and should be compensated as such. I think that’s a fair ask. If it’s so simple for them to remove it it should be so simple for them to change itIf it’s so simple for them to remove it it should be so simple for them to change it. But they don’t. 

also just because something is allowed I still don’t see how you aren’t breaking it?

29 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I think you’re misinterpreting what I am saying. Players holding out for more (if their value deems it), shouldn’t be any different than a team cutting someone for not fulfilling it. I’m much better at my job than I was 5 years ago and should be compensated as such. I think that’s a fair ask. If it’s so simple for them to remove it it should be so simple for them to change itIf it’s so simple for them to remove it it should be so simple for them to change it. But they don’t. 

also just because something is allowed I still don’t see how you aren’t breaking it?

I totally understand you.  Contracts are legal documents.  They have enforceability with corresponding terms like Dead Cap, Guaranteed, Non guaranteed, no trade clauses, void years, injury guarantees, etc.  Players holding out is breaking the contract.  A team cutting a player while fulfilling the contract is not breaking the contract.  An nfl contract essentially says you can terminate the player without cause at any time as long as you pay the guaranteed amount.   If a player doesn't like that then don't sign a long term deal without guaranteed or don't sign a long term deal at all.  

If you are better at your job, then you can certainly ask for a raise.  Nothing wrong with asking.  Your employer may grant that request to you and modify your contract or not.  They might terminate you like we did with moses.  But they won't break the contract.  If they don't give you a raise you can terminate yourself with the notice required in the contract.  

Yeah it is no big deal for them to modify your contract, but why would they if they already feel like they paid you appropriately ?  Often the main incentive and advantage for a team to sign a player long term is to get a better deal, why should they now get rid of that advantage?  

Anyways, good job by Rivera and brain trust letting an every down starter go who has 2 seasons left on his contract for ZERO compensation.  Are you kidding me. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Interesting time to cut them, I thought it would be better to keep them around for competition this training camp but I don’t have a problem with it.

We have guys they like better like Leno, Lucas and Cosmi.

Cutting Moses opens up $7.5 million in cap space so we have $20 million in cap space now. If we are able to sign Jon Allen and Scherff to new deals that should open up another $5-10 million in cap space too. Maybe they already have a FA available in mind that they’d like to sign or they’re freeing up space in case someone comes available like one of the QBs that we could trade for.