UPDATE: Morgan Moses Released! Geron Christian too!

MikeT14

11 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Interesting. I love Moses, but I think most would say we would get similar play out of Cornelius Lucas at RT. So maybe the idea behind signing Leno was to move Lucas to RT and trade Moses for a mid round pick. Then, they have Cosmi developing & Christian/Sharpe battle it out for the last OT spot if we are going to keep 4 OTs.

The Washington Football has its left tackle: The WFT is signing former #Bears LT Charles Leno to a 1-year deal worth $5M, per @SlavinRon.

Initially my thinking was Geron or maybe even Sharpe were cut material and could still be but a little surprise that Moses is leaving before Sharpe or Geron. Did not see this occurring. 

1 minute ago, 4209 said:
The Washington Football has its left tackle: The WFT is signing former #Bears LT Charles Leno to a 1-year deal worth $5M, per @SlavinRon.

Initially my thinking was Geron or maybe even Sharpe were cut material and could still be but a little surprise that Moses is leaving before Sharpe or Geron. Did not see this occurring. 

Well no one is leaving yet. If the team doesn’t get in return what they want in a trade for Moses, they could keep him rather than cut him. I think that’s to be determined.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dutch DC Football Fan said:

I did not see this one coming and don’t like it. He has been a warrior and did everything asked. Played through injury, playing different positions and compete.

Sure but one way to look at this is that we have Lucas who can slide over to RT, we have Leno at LT and we have Cosmi developing/competing with them.

If we can trade Moses for a mid round pick that could net us back another future starter. Moses is no spring chicken, by trading him and getting a mid round pick we could get a guy who could be a starter for near 10 years in return.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Yeah, but signing Allen long term should lower his $10 million cap number for this year, not raise it.

Yeah, I saw that rationale posited as well, but if Jon Allen’s Year 1 cap hit is well north of the $10M it’s already at, they’re doing contracts wrong. 

Not a big fan of this move. What more did you want from the guy last year? Dropped a bunch of weight, got into good shape, played well the whole year, stayed healthy, even kicked over to LT and held his own in a pinch. Guy has been a warrior and a team player since day one. I know he’s not their guy — but he’s been our guy, and I think they’re losing sight of that a bit too much. It’s like they’re so focused on rooting out the poison of the prior regimes that they’ve become actively antagonistic to anyone who was here for more than a year or two before they got here. 

In the end, it probably won’t kill us. We’ll still go three deep with (hopefully) NFL caliber OTs. But the one guy I really trusted to play like a legit NFL starter next year is the one they’re showing the door. Which just seems odd for a team making other win-now moves.

• Like 2

Could this be because he played LT this year and he wanted to be compensated like one? I think he deserved a raise and I bet he wanted a new deal we refuse to clearly entertain if he spoke on a desire to get top money since OL players make bank now reguardless of position. 
That said this is a heck of a guy who’s been a heck of a football player. I personally don’t know the reason but for his due money I don’t see how we are upgrading the production. But we shall see

Edited by ripsean21

3 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Must need to make room for some more Panthers. 

I don’t get this at all. Sorry. Probably our best OL last season, very durable and not expensive. This is just dumb. 

it is a little weird but why not get something for him.  Probably he asked for this, and probably he thinks he is worth more in the open market.  I don't hate it, nor love it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

Yeah, I saw that rationale posited as well, but if Jon Allen’s Year 1 cap hit is well north of the $10M it’s already at, they’re doing contracts wrong. 

Not a big fan of this move. What more did you want from the guy last year? Dropped a bunch of weight, got into good shape, played well the whole year, stayed healthy, even kicked over to LT and held his own in a pinch. Guy has been a warrior and a team player since day one. I know he’s not their guy — but he’s been our guy, and I think they’re losing sight of that a bit too much. It’s like they’re so focused on rooting out the poison of the prior regimes that they’ve become actively antagonistic to anyone who was here for more than a year or two before they got here. 

In the end, it probably won’t kill us. We’ll still go three deep with (hopefully) NFL caliber OTs. But the one guy I really trusted to play like a legit NFL starter next year is the one they’re showing the door. Which just seems odd for a team making other win-now moves.

You can’t predict the future, no one would’ve predicted that Charles Leno would come available who yes, is better than Moses & Lucas. Maybe we got what we wanted out of Moses. He had a career year & we have guys who could replace him at RT like Lucas so we can hopefully now trade Moses for a mid round pick which could be a starter in a few years at another position.

1 hour ago, ripsean21 said:

Could this be because he played LT this year and he wanted to be compensated like one? I think he deserved a raise and I bet he wanted a new deal we refuse to clearly entertain if he spoke on a desire to get top money since OL players make bank now reguardless of position. 
That said this is a heck of a guy who’s been a heck of a football player. I personally don’t know the reason but for his due money I don’t see how we are upgrading the production. But we shall see

I don’t know about the LT conversation but is true that he’ll be a FA in 2023 and probably won’t want to re-sign him when he’s 32. I’d say you’re on to something with him wanting a raise. If they can trade him coming off one of his best seasons & get a draft pick that turns into a future starter for him while replacing him with Lucas or Cosmi that would be good long term.

11 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I don’t know about the LT conversation but is true that he’ll be a FA in 2023 and probably won’t want to re-sign him when he’s 32. I’d say you’re on to something with him wanting a raise. If they can trade him coming off one of his best seasons & get a draft pick that turns into a future starter for him while replacing him with Lucas or Cosmi that would be good long term.

These are tough yet smart calculated choices that teams make that can turn into gold. Smart money says if your not married to a player going forward move him. Maximize your return. This is why I feel we need to front load Jon Allen’s deal. I love the guy he was the beginning of a vision. But you can move him down the line if he won’t take a team friendly deal after this big deal where he gets his.

But if we front load it and he plays well like he will when it’s time to choose if keep Payne Chase and Tez and move Allen when his cap hits low and he has hopefully a productive year as Moses did here. I know Allen will put up a few better sacks. Payne is on tape more disruptive. He gets the constant push inside. One missed tackle last year. And he’s a load to block. Also younger and no injury history hopefully that continues. But as fans we should love Moses. But as a business we could possibly net a great return. Truth is we have Terry Mac and Allen coming up and Payne. We keep drafting OL players in sure this is going to continue. They have to have a timeframe for competing and Moses probably is going to be older in the tooth for their projected window. So get what you can and develop the guys you anticipate and stack the cap you can rollover for future resigns

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

They're making room for Rodgers. 🤓

Were making room by getting rid of your most consistent proven OL player? So we’re just trying to make sure he can come here and have something to cry about instantly? Pass hard hard pass

33 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

Were making room by getting rid of your most consistent proven OL player? So we’re just trying to make sure he can come here and have something to cry about instantly? Pass hard hard pass

Leno is better than Moses. I know people may not agree but I think it’s pretty clear that he’s our best OT. Moses was finally consistent & healthy last year after not being so for 6 of his 7 years in a Washington uniform. Will he be able to replicate that? Possibly, but he’s also 30 & again Leno is better and Lucas isn’t a far drop off from Moses plus we could get a good draft pick for Moses, if we don’t, I’d keep him.

Also, not sure who said Moses’ cap hit this year is $7.5 million, that’s not true, that’s his guaranteed $. His cap hit this year is $9.65 million. His cap hit in 2022 is $7.5 million.

Edited by turtle28

9 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Leno is better than Moses. I know people may not agree but I think it’s pretty clear that he’s our best OT. Moses was finally consistent & healthy last year after not being so for 6 of his 7 years in a Washington uniform. Will he be able to replicate that? Possibly, but he’s also 30 & again Leno is better and Lucas isn’t a far drop off from Moses plus we could get a good draft pick for Moses, if we don’t, I’d keep him.

Also, not sure who said Moses’ cap hit this year is $7.5 million, that’s not true, that’s his guaranteed $. His cap hit this year is $9.65 million. His cap hit in 2022 is $7.5 million.

I don’t agree that Leno is better.