2021 Baker thread

ReggieCamp

1 hour ago, NateDawg said:

The “You guys are going to look bad when Watson starts playing” argument just shows people are being tone deaf to what’s being said. Whether or not he is out there winning games or not, most of the people that aren’t happy with the trade, it has nothing to do with whether he is going to help us win games or not. There is obviously the secondary argument of the looming suspension and how good he is comparative to the value. Speaking from a personal perspective, he is an upgrade but a situation I just would have preferred us not be affiliated with. And when we are successful with him, it is going to still leave a bit of a gross feeling. Maybe I will feel differently when that day comes around but at this point I still feel that way.

Bless your heart for trying again.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Bless your heart for trying again.

So why don't you think Watson can be successful as the Browns starting QB? You seem to speak negative things about him at times so it's obvious you think he is overrated or something. 

You're either a Browns fan or not. When Watson wins the SB like he has done so many times before then you will jump on the bandwagon with us true fans.

Oh wait, I think I mixed him up with that creep Tom Brady.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

It's obvious that at least a small sect of people are really hoping that Baker goes somewhere else and performs well, so they can be "I told you so" guy.

I would just prefer that the current starter for the Browns (whoever that may be) plays well, so we win.

That would be nice! We were on the road to respectability as a franchise for the first time since Ive been born and the wheels came off. I would like to just get to a point where win win games like a normal team and I dont have to see 'but its the Browns' jokes on TV every week.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

It's obvious that at least a small sect of people are really hoping that Baker goes somewhere else and performs well, so they can be "I told you so" guy.

I would just prefer that the current starter for the Browns (whoever that may be) plays well, so we win.

I agree, there are so many different arguments going on:

Baker was good enough, we should be going into next season with a healthy Baker at QB1.

Baker played injured and showed his toughness and grit, and deserved to play out his contract at least.

Baker wasn't great/sucked, but he's the better alternative to a potential sexual predator.

Baker sucked, we needed an upgrade, but not for what we traded for Watson.

Baker sucked, and Watson was the best available, despite potential suspension.

Baker was injured and he'll be back with a chip on his shoulder on another team and is gonna win SBs where he lands.

It's all really silly, but we're here to discuss it.  The arguments were predictable.  And by all means, throw your predictions out there, for sure, but I always get tired of people exclaiming absolutely that what they say is what is happening/going to happen.  Remembering that you are not a "know it all" will serve many well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, big poppa pump said:

I'm confident Baker will be fine. Depends on his situation how successful he will be but that's just about every QB.

Football alone with what each QB has done the Browns got one who has been better. This really hasn't been all that much debated, although I am one who thinks we paid way too much for an upgrade but I get it and if there weren't dark clouds over Watson I think mike would be the only one not excited about this season.

The dark clouds are scary though and even if it clears up you know you are living in tornado alley and can't really just sit back and relax. Maybe everything blows over and it works out on and off the field, that is the gamble they took. This will be a good or bad decision based on Watson and the Browns, Mayfield's success has no real bearing in my opinion.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thomas5737 said:

I'm confident Baker will be fine. Depends on his situation how successful he will be but that's just about every QB.

Football alone with what each QB has done the Browns got one who has been better. This really hasn't been all that much debated, although I am one who thinks we paid way too much for an upgrade but I get it and if there weren't dark clouds over Watson I think mike would be the only one not excited about this season.

The dark clouds are scary though and even if it clears up you know you are living in tornado alley and can't really just sit back and relax. Maybe everything blows over and it works out on and off the field, that is the gamble they took. This will be a good or bad decision based on Watson and the Browns, Mayfield's success has no real bearing in my opinion.

The organization will still be tied to Baker's future success (or lack their of) as long as Watson is not playing, or how successful (or not) Watson is on the field.  And I think many are rooting for Baker's success, and ultimately Watson's failure based on non-football reasons.  That's ok, as everyone is entitled to root for different individuals, or teams, for whatever reason they choose.  Although it seems weird to me that as a Browns fan, people would choose to root for the success of their former QB, rather than the team itself.

The amount given up in the trade, or the amount of money paid, would not be as heavily scrutinized as a business decision, had there not been the civil suits, and looming suspension.  Of course that plays into things, and I understand why people find this trade and contract extension tough to accept, given the circumstances.  The price for a top 8 QB in his prime is right.  The price for that QB, who will be certainly suspended for a period of time, because of serious accusations leveled against him makes the deal less palatable.

The dark clouds you refer to are more or less tied to the length of the suspension, and how well the team plays while Watson is out, and when he comes back.  I see that you also believe those dark clouds refer to the behavior of Watson in the future, and if we might see something similar in the future?  That's certainly a possibility (as anything is possible) but I wouldn't put a high % on any type of repeat instance (massage or otherwise)

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

So why don't you think Watson can be successful as the Browns starting QB? You seem to speak negative things about him at times so it's obvious you think he is overrated or something. 

You're either a Browns fan or not. When Watson wins the SB like he has done so many times before then you will jump on the bandwagon with us true fans.

Oh wait, I think I mixed him up with that creep Tom Brady.

Burrows and Lamar are both better plus they both had better drafts.

Plus there both on rookie contracts.

32 minutes ago, mtmmike said:

Burrows and Lamar are both better plus they both had better drafts.

Plus there both on rookie contracts.

Better drafts on paper, maybe.  That value is yet to be realized.

I disagree about either being "better" tho I think all three are very good.

6 hours ago, big poppa pump said:

I personally hope he sucks wherever he goes

2 hours ago, MalcolmBrown said:

Better drafts on paper, maybe.  That value is yet to be realized.

I disagree about either being "better" tho I think all three are very good.

Just putting my two cents on the last two comments.....Bengals....eh not so much....the Raven draft was IMO the best by FAR (The Jets had a BOMB draft also) in the entire NFL, they completely rebuilt their TE Group, added the 2nd best punter in the draft, added a couple young CB's to go with their Shutdown tandem, got what I thought was the 2nd best DT in the draft in Travis Jones, a kid I think is going to have Machai Beckton impact at RT with the boy from Minn and not one, but 2 of the 9 Blue Chip players I had in this draft (FS Hamilton AND C. Linderbaum).......

But the Jackson being better than Watson....I dont know about that...Watson can be as an effective runner as Jackson (Watson can pass, so he dosent run as much), but Jackson will never lead the league in passing.....Watson has done that. Burrow....folks love him a LOT more than I do (we are aware that we are 4-0 vs Bengals since Burrow has been drafted) and until burrow leads the league in passing (ESPECIALLY with that receiving corps the bengals have)......I must disagree with him being better than Watson also (the SB argument is always a team thing with me)

24 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

You hoped he sucked when he was here lol 

I wanted him to suck, then we drafted him. Then I wanted him to either be great or awful so we could have closure, and instead he gave us limbo and questions. He can’t even suck correctly. 😏 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I wanted him to suck, then we drafted him. Then I wanted him to either be great or awful so we could have closure, and instead he gave us limbo and questions. He can’t even suck correctly. 😏 

?

Edited by big poppa pump
fresh...
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I personally hope he sucks wherever he goes

Your in good voice 

Just remember Deshaun has not put 50 on Pittsburgh 

By the way Deshaun 1 win 2 losses in the playoffs 

Deshaun =losses in the playoffs 

Edited by mtmmike
Stupid