2021 Baker thread

ReggieCamp

1 hour ago, mrpazzo said:

Watson's win over Josh Allen on the basis that Allen was a younger version of himself who did not play great on that day, despite being one of, if not the main reason the Bills made the playoffs,

Well their offense was bottom 10 in points scored and their defense was #2 so the defense is the main reason they were even in the playoffs. Obviously Allen's legs were extremely important to the offense but still, bottom 10 in points scored for the year.

I wasn't trying to discredit his playoff win It just seemed dishonest (not intentionally) to act like he beat the 2020 version of Allen who was a beast. The 2019 Allen was below average and maybe average when you account for his legs.

By comparison the Browns beat a 12th ranked offense and a 3rd ranked defense in the Steelers. They shot themselves in the foot early and Ben threw some picks in the first half but he still had 4 TDs and 500 yards.

1 hour ago, mrpazzo said:

TLDR: In my book, ALL playoff wins count.

Same. Some are better than others but the Texans win and the Browns win count exactly the same.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Ben threw some picks in the first half but he still had 4 TDs and 500 yards.

Baker deserves credit for that playoff win, but come on.

Ben threw it for 47/68. You’re going to put up garbage time numbers throwing it that many times.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

Baker deserves credit for that playoff win, but come on.

Ben threw it for 47/68. You’re going to put up garbage time numbers throwing it that many times.

Baker deserves credit in the way any starting QB deserves credit for a win if they were helpful or hindering.

We could have won with Jacoby Brissett though. Mostly due to unforced turnovers early. Baker played well it just wasn't some career defining thing.

It was a lot of garbage time stats until they got close and kept scoring. Our defense was just terrible in the 2nd half. Seemed like a turnover was our only chance to get off the field. I looked it up, 6 2nd half drives 4 TD and one turnover. It was 35-23 in the 3rd quarter, that's time to start playing D again but they still scored a couple more TDs.

• Like 1

On 6/18/2022 at 7:03 PM, Thomas5737 said:

Baker deserves credit in the way any starting QB deserves credit for a win if they were helpful or hindering.

We could have won with Jacoby Brissett though. Mostly due to unforced turnovers early. Baker played well it just wasn't some career defining thing.

It was a lot of garbage time stats until they got close and kept scoring. Our defense was just terrible in the 2nd half. Seemed like a turnover was our only chance to get off the field. I looked it up, 6 2nd half drives 4 TD and one turnover. It was 35-23 in the 3rd quarter, that's time to start playing D again but they still scored a couple t

The idea of a 115 rating against the NFLs 3rd ranked defense is not good enough to win a Super Bowl is a historical stupid statement .

Enjoy Deshaun all you lovers.

Edited by mtmmike
omittion

On 6/18/2022 at 9:03 PM, Thomas5737 said:

It was a lot of garbage time stats until they got close and kept scoring. Our defense was just terrible in the 2nd half. Seemed like a turnover was our only chance to get off the field. I looked it up, 6 2nd half drives 4 TD and one turnover. It was 35-23 in the 3rd quarter, that's time to start playing D again but they still scored a couple more TDs.

Since this discussion is about a playoff game that the Browns won, I wonder how people would feel if the Browns would have blown that lead? Would anyone blame the defense or would they blame Baker? I just don't think Baker would have gotten a pass for blowing such a huge lead even if it was really the defenses fault. 

31 minutes ago, JDD said:

Since this discussion is about a playoff game that the Browns won, I wonder how people would feel if the Browns would have blown that lead? Would anyone blame the defense or would they blame Baker? I just don't think Baker would have gotten a pass for blowing such a huge lead even if it was really the defenses fault. 

Why are we playing the "what if" game about something that is long in the past?  QB's ALWAYS get too much credit, and too much blame.  It seems that's the nature of the position, whether that's right or wrong.

This all circles back to people referring to Watson's playoff win, and Mayfield's playoff win.  I still am trying to wrap my head around why it's relevant?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, big poppa pump said:

Why are we playing the "what if" game about something that is long in the past?  QB's ALWAYS get too much credit, and too much blame.  It seems that's the nature of the position, whether that's right or wrong.

This all circles back to people referring to Watson's playoff win, and Mayfield's playoff win.  I still am trying to wrap my head around why it's relevant?

Just that some QBs seems to get better and some seem to get worse in the playoffs. Just look at the Ravens last two QBs. One was mediocre but better in the playoffs and the other is certainly better but struggles in the playoffs. Both have so little experience in the playoffs that it's just a guessing game at this point. But yeah, it doesn't matter only one of them will be a Brown.

So far Baker has shown elevated play in the playoffs and Watson the opposite but one or two games could change either. 

Said it in another thread, I hope Baker lands in Seattle because it gives him the best chance to develop.

He would have more team success in Carolina. After Brady retires, I don’t see any QB in that division better than him. He’s better than Jameis Winston (although the Saints have a loaded roster). Falcons are a tire fire. Tampa Bay has zero succession plan to Brady.

3 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Said it in another thread, I hope Baker lands in Seattle because it gives him the best chance to develop.

He would have more team success in Carolina. After Brady retires, I don’t see any QB in that division better than him. He’s better than Jameis Winston (although the Saints have a loaded roster). Falcons are a tire fire. Tampa Bay has zero succession plan to Brady.

Idk man Kyle Trask may not be that bad. Definitely hasn’t proven anything. Atlanta definitely needs a QB. I think Baker would get killed in the NFC West. I don’t think he’s beat any of those teams yet. At least he’d have DK, Lockett, Fant, and Walker. But I don’t see him doing much. 

9 hours ago, big poppa pump said:

It’s relevant to the conversation that is going on. Is it relevant to the 2022 Browns? No. Is it something to discuss, sure why not.  It’s not like we are in week 7 having this convo. 

My point was who gets the blame.  I would blame the HC for a blown 3 score lead.  If you are up 17+ points you should never lose. You can give some points but blowing that game is a bad situation. That is an epic fail as a HC, DC, OC. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

womp

48 points against Pittsburgh how many on the top of the list say that.

Deshaun 7 points in his 1 playoff game.

Deshaun averages 16 points a game in the playoffs. 

Pg the lowest ranking qb in the playoffs with 3 games.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

womp womp

Mayfield has a great arm that's why he looked good when he looked good. He never had better than an above average receiving weapon though. He had a great run blocking line, average receivers and great running backs.

Watson has been better but his arm isn't in the same area code as Mayfield's. Better legs and better production but his arm strength is probably average at best. 

It isn't extremely important but if we ask our receivers to win against man coverage and you have a tight window things may not be as easy as we imagine. We're built to run though, I hope we remember that.

• Like 1