2021 Baker thread

ReggieCamp

15 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I am starting to believe the Halo stuff.

Keep reading in other areas that Baker was VERY active in the Halo community.

It would be hilarious if the Green Bay stuff was true.

https://static.soonersports.com/custompages/microsites/15fb_bakergamer/index.html

Look at the publish date.

https://www.wkyc.com/amp/article/sports/nfl/browns/cleveland-browns-qb-baker-mayfield-wanted-to-be-a-professional-gamer/95-176ed643-e715-4746-a73a-3ebc8609d9b1

https://www.si.com/college/2015/08/27/oklahoma-footballs-baker-mayfield-aims-rock-big-12-halo

This one goes back to 2015

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

I am starting to believe the Halo stuff.

Keep reading in other areas that Baker was VERY active in the Halo community.

It would be hilarious if the Green Bay stuff was true.

Baker made a couple mistakes in the GB game, a couple off target throws and trying to hit a deep shot but otherwise he looked very prepared for the GB game so who cares.

There is no reason for this to even be a story besides people that hate Baker or want Watson to seem like a better person because Baker played video games.

Neither matter. Whether Baker is playing video games, shooting commercials or whatever he has the right to do so when he isn't working. So does any player. If you want to dedicate your whole life to your career you can (no one does) but it certainly isn't required. It's just finger pointing because you don't like a guy.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Baker made a couple mistakes in the GB game, a couple off target throws and trying to hit a deep shot but otherwise he looked very prepared for the GB game so who cares.

There is no reason for this to even be a story besides people that hate Baker or want Watson to seem like a better person because Baker played video games.

Neither matter. Whether Baker is playing video games, shooting commercials or whatever he has the right to do so when he isn't working. So does any player. If you want to dedicate your whole life to your career you can (no one does) but it certainly isn't required. It's just finger pointing because you don't like a guy.

I think you can look at the GB game as the overall reason the FO moved on from him. He just made to many mistakes in a game they should have won. It really is the best way to describe his time in Cleveland. Great times he looks like a top 10 QB, average times he looks like an average QB, bad times he looks like a bottom 10 QB. All those add up to an average QB. I'm not blaming video games or lack of preparation because in the moment he let the ball fly on a few throws that no top tier QB makes. Should they have done something different and got him in a better situation maybe, maybe they couldn't. 

I also don't think a guy playing videos games or saying he likes them is a problem. As far as an article in 2015 when he was a college freshman/sophomore saying something like that is a negative?? Ok let's keep digging for things for no reason.  

• Like 3

Unfortunately everything is intertwined together.  Those that hate the Watson trade, and or were ok with Baker as the starting QB, will find fault with the FO, and dismiss any of the "leaks" about work ethic, and priorities.  I don't see any point in even entertaining what may have been going on behind closed doors.  It really doesn't matter.  

This FO has their wagon hitched to Watson, and their success depends on how well he does (since that will determine how well the team does)  If this acquisition doesn't pan out, they (FO) will probably all be gone as a result.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

Unfortunately everything is intertwined together.  Those that hate the Watson trade, and or were ok with Baker as the starting QB, will find fault with the FO, and dismiss any of the "leaks" about work ethic, and priorities.  I don't see any point in even entertaining what may have been going on behind closed doors.  It really doesn't matter.  

This FO has their wagon hitched to Watson, and their success depends on how well he does (since that will determine how well the team does)  If this acquisition doesn't pan out, they (FO) will probably all be gone as a result.

Yeah but there is no probably about it. This (Watson) may be a last ditch effort to save the coaches job but it will certainly end with everyone being fired if it fails, Too much invested for it to end any other way. Coaching may have a 2 year window depending on Watson's status and the front office probably has 3 years for a deep playoff run.

14 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Yeah but there is no probably about it. This (Watson) may be a last ditch effort to save the coaches job but it will certainly end with everyone being fired if it fails, Too much invested for it to end any other way. Coaching may have a 2 year window depending on Watson's status and the front office probably has 3 years for a deep playoff run.

The "probably" was put in there as the slimmest of chances that they are somehow successful without Watson.  But ya...if he doesn't work out, it is almost certain that the team will suck, and these coaches and FO people are gone.

2 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

The "probably" was put in there as the slimmest of chances that they are somehow successful without Watson.  But ya...if he doesn't work out, it is almost certain that the team will suck, and these coaches and FO people are gone.

We're talented enough that we shouldn't suck under any circumstances (minus injuries). If we go 5-12 with Brissett the coaching staff certainly should be fired before getting a chance of having Watson (if he is out for the year). 8 or 9 wins should get them another year. 9 or 10 wins should happen. We should have won at least 10 last year with a broken QB and crappy tackles but coaching really hurt us.

The front office should get more time because the roster looks good. Yeah, the Watson thing makes the bar much higher but they have to be given a chance to use him.

The front office, even after this off season that I think looked desperate and creepy, has been much better than coaching over the last couple years.

• Like 2

On 7/10/2022 at 2:48 PM, Thomas5737 said:

This (Watson) may be a last ditch effort to save the coaches job but it will certainly end with everyone being fired if it fails, Too much invested for it to end any other way.

I don't see this as a last ditch effort to save the coaching staff.  The coaching staff has a 11-5 season and a 8-9 season. Hardly the record of a desperate coaching staff. They have .576 winning percentage which is the best two year win total for the Browns since the Kosar era and surpassing Belichick's best two year total of winning percentage of .563.  Compare that to the likes of Matt Ruhle who has a .303 percentage over the same two seasons and is clearly on the hot seat.  

To me, the Watson acquisition is in the same vein as the Rams trading for Stafford and moving on from Goff.  In each case the FO and coaching staff saw their incumbent starter as limited and made the move to improve.  They want to ride or die with the guy that they chose, rather than the guy that they inherited. Not everyone thought the Rams move was great at the time.  The Browns of course are taking more heat because of any or all of the following:

1. Watson off field controversy (which is the biggest reason, but without it, Watson is already playing in Miami), 2. the guaranteed money, 3. The false, but persistent narrative that his contract was structured to avoid NFL fines, 4. The genuine popularity of Baker, as opposed to Goff, 5. The fact that the Texans did not want Baker as part of the transaction, 6. The change in team valuations of QBs, where teams no longer want to pay for mid-level starter QBs.  They either want a QB who can take them to the playoffs consistently or a young guy that they hope will develop on a rookie deal.  Therefore it took time to find a deal to unload Baker who by consensus is currently perceived to be a mid-tier QB with a moderate size contract. 7. The "Browns is the Browns" in the bad way. 😔 

I agree if the Watson trade doesn't pan out people will be fired, but that is normal for the NFL.  Generally a coaching staff has one shot with "their" quarterback, a front office may have two shots.  It goes without saying that this only applies to FOs and coaching staffs that don't have a deep well of good will from one or more a super bowls, or a previous sustained history of success.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I absolutely don’t think the FO or coaching staff should even have a lukewarm seat, let alone hot seat. 

That said, Haslam is gonna Haslam so….

I get the front office, although Watson will likely seal their fate one way or the other but what has the coaching done that is deserving of being completely safe right now?

The defense 2 years ago was terrible and better last year but still a lot of dumb play calls.

The offense was good 2 years ago but struggled last year with a lot of dumb play calls.

I'd put coaching on the lukewarm seat. We better win at least 8 if it is Jacoby all year and they remain on the warm seat. It's playoffs or bust if Watson plays half the games. The front office invested too much for another lackluster season.

12 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I absolutely don’t think the FO or coaching staff should even have a lukewarm seat, let alone hot seat. 

That said, Haslam is gonna Haslam so….

If stefanski doesn’t play to Watsons strength he will be out. Jimmy didn’t pay Watson 230M to run bakers/cousins offense.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

If stefanski doesn’t play to Watsons strength he will be out. Jimmy didn’t pay Watson 230M to run bakers/cousins offense.

I mean, logic would say he did. Stef has ran pretty much the same offense for a while now. But of course maybe he'll change from who he's been.

12 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

I get the front office, although Watson will likely seal their fate one way or the other but what has the coaching done that is deserving of being completely safe right now?

The defense 2 years ago was terrible and better last year but still a lot of dumb play calls.

The offense was good 2 years ago but struggled last year with a lot of dumb play calls.

I'd put coaching on the lukewarm seat. We better win at least 8 if it is Jacoby all year and they remain on the warm seat. It's playoffs or bust if Watson plays half the games. The front office invested too much for another lackluster season.

What have they done to warrant being fired?  11 followed by 8 wins shouldn’t be getting anyone fired. Especially when the QB was hurt all season, your WR demands a trade midseason, etc.  

Maybe it’s just an over correction from years of quick triggers, but I see no reason not to give this group the full length of the contract.

If a new coach was the answer we’d have a dynasty on our hands by now.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Why?  It’s a really good offense that plays to Watson’s strengths.

The bootleg game should be absurd with our run game and Watson’s mobility.