The Pass "Rush" After 7 Games

TheOnlyThing

24 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Do people truly believe that Montravius Adams is currently clearly better than Quinton Dial or Dean Lowry?

Well, those guys have been rotational pieces who don't pressure the QB.  Lowry has been a complete disappointment after hearing how great he was in the off-season.

As far as Adams goes....he can't be much worse and he could bring some youthful enthusiasm.

I know the season is far, far from over.  But as I sit here without Rodgers, I'm looking to the future and I want to see what the young guys have.  That includes Lowry and Adams.  Probably not so much Dial.

21 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Well, those guys have been rotational pieces who don't pressure the QB.  Lowry has been a complete disappointment after hearing how great he was in the off-season.

As far as Adams goes....he can't be much worse and he could bring some youthful enthusiasm.

I know the season is far, far from over.  But as I sit here without Rodgers, I'm looking to the future and I want to see what the young guys have.  That includes Lowry and Adams.  Probably not so much Dial.

I agree with you 110% there. We know what we have in a guy like Dial. Lowry has shown passrush ability in the past, and I am chomping at the bit with Montravius, I have thought that he could be our best pick of the draft.

38 minutes ago, ReadyToThump said:

I agree with you 110% there. We know what we have in a guy like Dial. Lowry has shown passrush ability in the past, and I am chomping at the bit with Montravius, I have thought that he could be our best pick of the draft.

Dial is legitimately the epitome of the type of FA that Packers fans have been clamoring for.  Doesn't cost a lot in terms of money, doesn't affect the Packers compensatory draft picks, and is a relatively known quantity.  Now that he's signed, and he's doing pretty much what we knew he was going to do, the fact that he doesn't offer any legitimate upside we're now holding it against him.  And I'm not just talking about you.  It's the whole "grass is greener on the other side mentality" that we seem to be going around with.  At this point, would I be upset if Adams got more snaps than Dial?  Absolutely not, especially given the way this season is going.  But also don't be surprised when Adams has those rookie moments that we wouldn't see with Dial.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Do people truly believe that Montravius Adams is currently clearly better than Quinton Dial or Dean Lowry?

I have no idea. I know they've been carefully working him back from his foot injury, but he returned to practice last month and has been inactive every week since. I don't think anyone has a sense at how good he is since they've been taking it easy with him coming off the injury. I want to see what he has to offer. 

1 minute ago, Haha21 said:

I have no idea. I know they've been carefully working him back from his foot injury, but he returned to practice last month and has been inactive every week since. I don't think anyone has a sense at how good he is since they've been taking it easy with him coming off the injury. I want to see what he has to offer. 

And I'm okay with that mentality.  It's the "it can't be any worse" mentality with Adams that is driving me insane.  It absolutely can be worse.  We saw Josh Jones have those rookie moments last week against New Orleans, and we've seen Kevin King with them as well.  Does that mean we're better with them out there in the long term?  Probably, but don't be upset when the inevitable rookie mistakes come up.

8 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

That's why I give Adams the nod. Our pass rush sucks and you already are suiting up 2 of 3 from RJF, Lowry or Dial so why have 3 of the same type vs picking 2 and then Adams?

My guess?  Either Adams isn't completely healthy, or he's not executing or understand the play calling.

I agree with giving Adams an opportunity.  If Rodgers was healthy and everything, I say we go with the veterans and maintain the status quo.  With Rodgers unhealthy and not coming back in my estimation until at least week 17, we have to take risks because as this defense and offense is now, we're not doing much.

We cannot win a game by being okay/average/normal anymore.  We don't have Rodgers to do that.  We have to take risks.  I'd put Biegel and Adams in the second they're healthy enough to play.

We would never have "discovered" Aaron Jones if it wasn't for 2 injuries during a game, and then we STILL gave Montgomery the next game.  Against the Saints, on a crucial third and short when the game was still not only in reach, but when we were in a good position, we gave it to Montgomery, who got stuffed. 

If this team keeps playing the practice performers who are fundamentally and mentally sound but can't make things happen on the field, the season is over.  Fackrell has done nothing.  He's a very mentally and fundamentally sound player, but he doesn't get results.  Same with Dial. 

5 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I agree with giving Adams an opportunity.  If Rodgers was healthy and everything, I say we go with the veterans and maintain the status quo.  With Rodgers unhealthy and not coming back in my estimation until at least week 17, we have to take risks because as this defense and offense is now, we're not doing much.

We cannot win a game by being okay/average/normal anymore.  We don't have Rodgers to do that.  We have to take risks.  I'd put Biegel and Adams in the second they're healthy enough to play.

We would never have "discovered" Aaron Jones if it wasn't for 2 injuries during a game, and then we STILL gave Montgomery the next game.  Against the Saints, on a crucial third and short when the game was still not only in reach, but when we were in a good position, we gave it to Montgomery, who got stuffed. 

If this team keeps playing the practice performers who are fundamentally and mentally sound but can't make things happen on the field, the season is over.  Fackrell has done nothing.  He's a very mentally and fundamentally sound player, but he doesn't get results.  Same with Dial. 

I agree, I think the only chance we have this season is to find a way to get the younger guys reps to improve and be better than what the JAG vets would be at the end of the season. Rodgers isn't coming back this season, so may as well improve the team as much as you can.

From Pete Dougherty today:

"You might already have seen this stat during the Green Bay Packers’ bye week: Julius Peppers has more sacks (7 ½) with Carolina this season than all the Packers’ outside linebackers combined (7). That’s a stunner.

... That Peppers is tied for seventh in the NFL in sacks is mind blowing. But Thompson made the percentage play. Peppers is destroying the odds. That’s the way it goes.

... But I also assumed that in moving on, Thompson would at minimum use one of his first two draft picks on an outside rusher. 

... The Packers’ lack of a rush has been glaring, starting with their stats. They rank 28th in the NFL in sacks per game (1.7).

Father Time is making his move on their best rusher since 2009, 31-year-old Clay Matthews. Matthews has 2 ½ sacks through seven games even though he has played 81.6 percent of the defensive snaps. Given he's due to earn $11.4 million in 2018, there’s no guarantee he’ll even be back next season.

Age isn’t an issue with Nick Perry (27), but health is. When he’s at full strength he’s a good rusher, but he’s often playing through injuries – like the cast on his hand for most of this season – that diminish him.

Ahmad Brooks was a good after-cuts pickup, but he’s 33. And the swing-and-miss on Kyler Fackrell in the third round of the 2015 draft is proving to be a killer."

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/dougherty/2017/10/31/dougherty-packers-must-devote-multiple-draft-picks-pass-rushers/817584001/

44 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

"You might already have seen this stat during the Green Bay Packers’ bye week: Julius Peppers has more sacks (7 ½) with Carolina this season than all the Packers’ outside linebackers combined (7). That’s a stunner.

... That Peppers is tied for seventh in the NFL in sacks is mind blowing. But Thompson made the percentage play. Peppers is destroying the odds. That’s the way it goes.

You are aware it's a two-way street when it comes to FA?  Go read his quotes shortly after he signed, it was pretty clear from the get go that he wanted to return to Carolina.  I'm not sure using hindsight to argue against what most thought was the right move.

45 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

And the swing-and-miss on Kyler Fackrell in the third round of the 2015 draft is proving to be a killer."

I'm really hoping this is just a really bad hyperbole, because a 3rd round draft pick shouldn't "kill" a franchise in any way.

Archived