Your top 5 TEs as of 2021

I'm assuming that for most people it's comfortably Kelce, Kittle, then the rest? Hoping for a strong return from Kittle after a disappointing season; one of my favorite players. 

Waller? Goedert? Andrews? Gronk? Gesicki? Henry? Smith? And where does Pitts come in? 

One person mentions Tebow and I'm going to demand this thread locked. 

Waller is unquestionably the #3. I think the gap between Waller and #4 is bigger than the gap between Waller and Kittle, at this point. I do think Kelce separated himself a bit as #1 last year. Not that Kittle or Waller did anything wrong last year, but I legit think Kelce had the GOAT TE season last year. His blocking has improved each of the last 3 years or so, and he basically stopped dropping passes last season, so he really refined his game to another level there.

Past those 3, I think it gets very speculative, and there are a lot of guys who could wind up there by the end of the season. Gesicki, Goedert, and Hockensen are all clearly on the rise right now. I think Henry could blow up with a change of scenery and coaching, and Fant could blow up with a change of QB (though if it's Lock/Bridgewater, I don't see it happening.) I think how Pitts does will honestly depend on how much they ask him to play a traditional TE spot. Rookie TEs historically are not very productive. Though if they basically just use him as a big slot receiver half the time, it might not matter. Andrews is very solid, but I do think he gets passed up by a few guys this year.

If I had to make a prediction, I'd do something like:

1. Kelce
2. Kittle
3. Waller
4. Henry
5. Hockensen

But I've also just been huge on Henry for years. Him and Ekeler are two guys on LAC I think are way better than they're usually ranked, just due to some health luck and weird utilization by their coaching staff. I think Belichick can make him the star of that offense. But, a safer bet would probably be Andrews in that spot.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Waller is unquestionably the #3. I think the gap between Waller and #4 is bigger than the gap between Waller and Kittle, at this point. I do think Kelce separated himself a bit as #1 last year. Not that Kittle or Waller did anything wrong last year, but I legit think Kelce had the GOAT TE season last year. His blocking has improved each of the last 3 years or so, and he basically stopped dropping passes last season, so he really refined his game to another level there.

Past those 3, I think it gets very speculative, and there are a lot of guys who could wind up there by the end of the season. Gesicki, Goedert, and Hockensen are all clearly on the rise right now. I think Henry could blow up with a change of scenery and coaching, and Fant could blow up with a change of QB (though if it's Lock/Bridgewater, I don't see it happening.) I think how Pitts does will honestly depend on how much they ask him to play a traditional TE spot. Rookie TEs historically are not very productive. Though if they basically just use him as a big slot receiver half the time, it might not matter. Andrews is very solid, but I do think he gets passed up by a few guys this year.

If I had to make a prediction, I'd do something like:

1. Kelce
2. Kittle
3. Waller
4. Henry
5. Hockensen

But I've also just been huge on Henry for years. Him and Ekeler are two guys on LAC I think are way better than they're usually ranked, just due to some health luck and weird utilization by their coaching staff. I think Belichick can make him the star of that offense. But, a safer bet would probably be Andrews in that spot.

I agree with almost everything you're saying. 

I personally would have Waller as the #2 TE in the NFL. But I am a Raider fan so there may be some bias in there, I wouldn't argue with those that have Kittle at 2. But for me Kelce is clearly the best TE in the NFL. Then Waller and Kittle in whichever order and then a pretty sizeable gap into a group of a handful of guys that can be ranked a bunch of different ways. But I also agree Henry is someone that could do some great things in New England. 

I think Hockenson is a guy that will be very productive this season. And Pitts I expect to be very productive by rookie TE standards, but will really hit his stride by year 2 or 3 when he could be viewed as the best TE in the league. 

Edited by Mr Raider
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, TakeTheBallDeep said:

I'm not saying he is or will be Top 5 but Logan Thomas with Washington is a guy that some probably don't know very well yet. He had a nice season last year with 72 Receptions for 670 Yards and 6 TDs....I have no idea how he is as a blocker

The main skepticism I have around Logan Thomas, is he wasn't having a particularly productive season until a bit later in the year, when Washington's strategy seemed to shift to just throwing endless checkdowns. It was the same point that J.D. McKissic blew up in targets. And I don't know if it was primarily an Alex Smith thing, or just a coaching philosophy they went with late, because it did bleed over into some of the late season games where they had Haskins and/or Heinicke in as well. But there was just a run of games late in the year there, against Pittsburgh, Carolina, and Seattle, where they were throwing like 50 passes a game, and legitimately 20+ of them were short passes to Thomas and McKissic. Those two guys had 67 targets in those 3 games, but they were only getting like 8 yards per catch. That was the same stretch where Antonio Gibson was out, and they were having trouble getting McLaurin involved for whatever reason. So I don't think that will be the offensive gameplan going into next year, nor should it be. So I think it's more likely that Thomas returns to the 3 catches and 30 yards per game or so that he was getting most of the year, instead of the 9 catches and 75 yards he was averaging for like 4 weeks.

17 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

The main skepticism I have around Logan Thomas, is he wasn't having a particularly productive season until a bit later in the year, when Washington's strategy seemed to shift to just throwing endless checkdowns. It was the same point that J.D. McKissic blew up in targets. And I don't know if it was primarily an Alex Smith thing, or just a coaching philosophy they went with late, because it did bleed over into some of the late season games where they had Haskins and/or Heinicke in as well. But there was just a run of games late in the year there, against Pittsburgh, Carolina, and Seattle, where they were throwing like 50 passes a game, and legitimately 20+ of them were short passes to Thomas and McKissic. Those two guys had 67 targets in those 3 games, but they were only getting like 8 yards per catch. That was the same stretch where Antonio Gibson was out, and they were having trouble getting McLaurin involved for whatever reason. So I don't think that will be the offensive gameplan going into next year, nor should it be. So I think it's more likely that Thomas returns to the 3 catches and 30 yards per game or so that he was getting most of the year, instead of the 9 catches and 75 yards he was averaging for like 4 weeks.

I believe his uptick in production was due primarily to the following factors:

• Alex Smith's playstyle, which speaks for itself
  • Thomas' growth as a TE and comfortability in the system.  You could see his route-running improve from week-to-week, and his hands were already very good; he improved his blocking down the stretch as well.  Working with Pete Hoener (the same TE coach who turned Greg Olsen into a Pro Bowl TE) has been huge for his development, and that was always going to be more evident later in the season.  Hoener is the one who convinced Rivera to sign Thomas in FA, so he clearly has a high opinion of him, which is evidenced by the following tweet:
  • McLaurin was playing on two high ankle sprains during the latter portion of the season, which helps explains his lower production during those weeks (on top of playing with Alex Smith)

I think Thomas is likely a top 7-10 TE this year, since I don't believe Fitzpatrick is known to heavily target his TEs... but I think if Thomas was in an offense like Baltimore's he would be the best receiving TE on that team and highly regarded as a top 5 TE league-wide.

8 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I believe his uptick in production was due primarily to the following factors:

• Alex Smith's playstyle, which speaks for itself
  • Thomas' growth as a TE and comfortability in the system.  You could see his route-running improve from week-to-week, and his hands were already very good; he improved his blocking down the stretch as well.  Working with Pete Hoener (the same TE coach who turned Greg Olsen into a Pro Bowl TE) has been huge for his development, and that was always going to be more evident later in the season.  Hoener is the one who convinced Rivera to sign Thomas in FA, so he clearly has a high opinion of him, which is evidenced by the following tweet:
  • McLaurin was playing on two high ankle sprains during the latter portion of the season, which helps explains his lower production during those weeks (on top of playing with Alex Smith)

I think Thomas is likely a top 7-10 TE this year, since I don't believe Fitzpatrick is known to heavily target his TEs... but I think if Thomas was in an offense like Baltimore's he would be the best receiving TE on that team and highly regarded as a top 5 TE league-wide.

Thomas is not a better tight end than Andrews.

• Like 1