Aaron Rodgers officially begins holdout by skipping Packers mandatory mini-camp

TheKillerNacho

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Is every player the best QB to ever play coming off an MVP season?

Who gives a crap about the money? You're flushing at minimum 2 1st round picks and other players if not 3 1st rounders and multiple other picks if a bidding war happened.

I'd line up as #1 on the can Murphy and Gute if they sit there and let him retire without budging. 

If GB is offered 2 first + players or 3 firsts and multiple other picks, GB should do that deal vs retirement.   GB doesn't have to trade Rodgers.  They can choose to do so if the compensation meets their threshold of beneficial return.

I don't think anyone is disputing that

9 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

He will never replace NFL MVP money he couldn't otherwise get a few years later as well. 

And for the ninth time the cash FLOW. He would have to pay BACK out of his own bank account, $30million. And be would NOT collect the $65 ish million of his base salary the next 3 years. 

At an absolute minimum he is giving up $95 million over the next 3 years plus potential of another NFL contract if he wants to retire. 

Are you seriously telling us that the league MVP could credibly make that threat?

Yes.

8 minutes ago, mattyice0401 said:

I really dont think A-Aron gives a rats butt about "His legacy" He seems like the type of person that its either his way or the highway.

I dunno man. This is a guy who protects his statline like a fiend. I think the ONLY thing he cares about is his personal legacy...

1 minute ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I honestly don't see how he would be worth more next offseason than he's worth now. Why wait?

They probably just need to wait for some other teams QB to get hurt. Or suck it up and get what they can from Broncos/Washington/etc. 

1 minute ago, Matts4313 said:

They probably just need to wait for some other teams QB to get hurt. Or suck it up and get what they can from Broncos/Washington/etc. 

John Elway seems like a desperate fool to me. Just pull the trigger and rip off his panties tbh.

1 minute ago, TheKillerNacho said:

John Elway seems like a desperate fool to me. Just pull the trigger and rip off his panties tbh.

I thought he gave up GM duties? Though I think he is the president or something now so he can probably do whatever he wants.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I honestly don't see how he would be worth more next offseason than he's worth now. Why wait?

Because GB is "all-in" in 2021 by mortgaging future cap in 2022 and beyond. They backloaded contracts to get the gang back in 2021 for another shot. Rodgers contract was always structured to be moved AFTER this season, so the team made all the moves to go all-in for 2021 before Rodgers threw the hissy fit. He could have been an adult and restructured to give GB flexibility to go even MORE all-in but he decided he didn't want that because he's kind of a POS.

The rest of the team is set up for a SB run again in 2021, so trading him now invalidates all of the other off-season moves that would have been different had they planned to move on in 2021.

It's not just about the exact trade compensation. It's the entire picture.

25 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Call me crazy but I'd rather make a "mere" $10M doing a job I actually enjoy than $50M doing a job i hate.

You think Rodgers would be happy to reimburse GB the balance of his signing bonus and roster bonus if he retired?  He is supposedly so upset at the front office he retires and then gives back around $30M.

Yes he can afford it.  But the principle of doing so you be a really tough pill for Rodgers to take.

9 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:
18 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

He will never replace NFL MVP money he couldn't otherwise get a few years later as well. 

And for the ninth time the cash FLOW. He would have to pay BACK out of his own bank account, $30million. And be would NOT collect the $65 ish million of his base salary the next 3 years. 

At an absolute minimum he is giving up $95 million over the next 3 years plus potential of another NFL contract if he wants to retire. 

Are you seriously telling us that the league MVP could credibly make that threat?

Yes.

Lol

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

He could have been an adult and restructured to give GB flexibility

Are you talking about a standard restructure? Because those are built into the contract and need no say so from the players themselves. 

Just now, squire12 said:

You think Rodgers would be happy to reimburse GB the balance of his signing bonus and roster bonus if he retired?  He is supposedly so upset at the front office he retires and then gives back around $30M.

Yes he can afford it.  But the principle of doing so you be a really tough pill for Rodgers to take.

Ive already addressed this with the PFF article. If he "pseudo" retires, he only pays back ~$11m. Which he will easily make up from ESPN doing shows. So basically he just takes a year off work.

19 minutes ago, mattyice0401 said:

I really dont think A-Aron gives a rats butt about "His legacy" He seems like the type of person that its either his way or the highway.

You should listen to him in some press conferences.  He talks about legacy often enough to think it matters to him

Just now, squire12 said:

Here's the thing - a bunch of internet users used Spotrac/OverTheCap to figure out the numbers behind this potential move. None of us are contract lawyers, financial advisors, agents, etc.

Rodgers has a team of lawyers, financial advisors and his agent who understand where every single dollar he's earned is, understand every article and bylaw in his contract, and broken down every single scenario for him as he heads down this direction. He hasn't backed down, has he? 

So, Rodgers is well aware of the consequences of his actions. And it doesn't seem to really change his mind, if you're reading into his current actions.

• Like 2