Aaron Rodgers officially begins holdout by skipping Packers mandatory mini-camp

TheKillerNacho

4 hours ago, incognito_man said:

It's a non-starter to argue that Rodgers would come back and tank it for three years riding the bench in GB...c'mon now.

He wouldn't be doing it for three years. The whole point of that situation was to show that another superstar mailed it in and it was costing the team games, so they traded him. If Rodgers does not want to be there and nothing can change that, wouldn't they have to eventually trade him?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

He will never replace NFL MVP money he couldn't otherwise get a few years later as well. 

And for the ninth time the cash FLOW. He would have to pay BACK out of his own bank account, $30million. And be would NOT collect the $65 ish million of his base salary the next 3 years. 

At an absolute minimum he is giving up $95 million over the next 3 years plus potential of another NFL contract if he wants to retire. 

Are you seriously telling us that the league MVP could credibly make that threat?

Rodgers IS petty enough to follow through with it if things really went sideways.  The team has to at least give it some credibility, but in my mind, it's kind of like a poker game.  Your opponent could possibly have the one or two cards in the deck that could beat you in some scenarios, so you can't say it is impossible.  Then again, what you are saying makes an awful lot of sense.  Even though Rodgers could be that stubborn, the chances of it actually happening are extremely small.  In this case, I'd say you and Matts are both right.

48 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I dont think it would hurt is legacy as much as you seem to think. Rodgers has already made millions. Do I think his ego could stand in the way of making some more millions and preventing a small dent in his "legacy"? Yes, I think its within the realm of something he might do. Especially if he believes he has post-career opportunities available. Although it is hard to gauge at this time just how far his bitterness towards the Packers FO is.

Regardless, its pretty baffling why Green Bay would even want him there if he doesn't want to be there. Him returning to GB would just be a toxic situation that would lead to absolutely nothing good for the franchise. Just trade the man.

Re: his legacy

Whether right or wrong, it seems to me that most people outside of GB fans view Rodgers’ legacy as an elite/all-time great QB who carried the team on his back for the better part of a decade. If he retires, his legacy take little to no hit. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Are you talking about a standard restructure? Because those are built into the contract and need no say so from the players themselves. 

https://larrybrownsports.com/football/why-aaron-rodgers-turned-down-packers-contract/579078

"Earlier in the offseason, there was talk that the Packers wanted to restructure Rodgers’ contract in a way that would make it easy for them to part ways with him after this season. A more recent report claimed Green Bay offered to make Rodgers the highest-paid quarterback in football, but an agreement could not be reached."

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

https://larrybrownsports.com/football/why-aaron-rodgers-turned-down-packers-contract/579078

"Earlier in the offseason, there was talk that the Packers wanted to restructure Rodgers’ contract in a way that would make it easy for them to part ways with him after this season. A more recent report claimed Green Bay offered to make Rodgers the highest-paid quarterback in football, but an agreement could not be reached."

Ok, so not a standard restructure. Got it. 

7 minutes ago, ET80 said:

So, Rodgers is well aware of the consequences of his actions. And it doesn't seem to really change his mind, if you're reading into his current actions.

No.

He was never going to report to OTAs regardless. He spoke out about OTAs last off-season already (and long before that). He's losing like $10s of thousands for OTAs compared to the millions for TC. Him missing OTAs is expected and doesn't move the needle one way or another.

5 minutes ago, showtime said:

He wouldn't be doing it for three years. The whole point of that situation was to show that another superstar mailed it in and it was costing the team games, so they traded him. If Rodgers does not want to be there and nothing can change that, wouldn't they have to eventually trade him?

GB can trade him or keep him rostered for 3 more seasons. Whatever they want. They hold literally ALL the control about where Rodgers will play over the next 3 seasons. There is no bluff involved. 

Obviously it's not going to come down to him sitting for 3 seasons behind Jordan Love, but if GB really wanted to, they could. And that's more realistic than Rodgers retiring right now.

4 minutes ago, malak1 said:

Re: his legacy

Whether right or wrong, it seems to me that most people outside of GB fans view Rodgers’ legacy as an elite/all-time great QB who carried the team on his back for the better part of a decade. If he retires, his legacy take little to no hit. 

Sure. 

But you're kinda ignoring the actual point here...that he can ADD to his legacy by playing more. If he retires (he won't) his legacy is fully written.

Just now, incognito_man said:

GB can trade him or keep him rostered for 3 more seasons. Whatever they want. They hold literally ALL the control about where Rodgers will play over the next 3 seasons. There is no bluff involved. 

Obviously it's not going to come down to him sitting for 3 seasons behind Jordan Love, but if GB really wanted to, they could. And that's more realistic than Rodgers retiring right now.

Yeah, but every player who demands a trade and actually follows through with it is in this same situation. If Rodgers does not want to play for Green Bay and nothing they can do can change that, then they should just trade him. Obviously, if it can be worked out, then they should keep him and do whatever it takes to work it out.

I was posting that scenario with James Harden because there was nothing the Rockets could do to work it out with him, and he made that clear. Is it the same way with Rodgers, or do you think they can work it out?

9 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Rodgers IS petty enough to follow through with it if things really went sideways.  The team has to at least give it some credibility, but in my mind, it's kind of like a poker game.  Your opponent could possibly have the one or two cards in the deck that could beat you in some scenarios, so you can't say it is impossible.  Then again, what you are saying makes an awful lot of sense.  Even though Rodgers could be that stubborn, the chances of it actually happening are extremely small.  In this case, I'd say you and Matts are both right.

Rodgers is not stupid enough to give away $100+ million because he feels somehow "disrespected". He's a premier competitive athlete. 

What lala land are some of you living in where you think a world class elite athlete would intentionally choose to:

(1) Never again do the thing he's the best in the world at while in his prime

(2) Give away over $100 million

Like seriously people, c'mon lol. You must see how ridiculous that take is...

2 minutes ago, showtime said:

Yeah, but every player who demands a trade and actually follows through with it is in this same situation. If Rodgers does not want to play for Green Bay and nothing they can do can change that, then they should just trade him. Obviously, if it can be worked out, then they should keep him and do whatever it takes to work it out.

I was posting that scenario with James Harden because there was nothing the Rockets could do to work it out with him, and he made that clear. Is it the same way with Rodgers, or do you think they can work it out?

I agree. They should absolutely trade him. I wanted them to and still do. I'm not interested in "working things out" with him. I'm done with him, I want the cap space and draft assets to build an elite defense and running game for Love.

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

Lolwut

GB got compensation for Favre while having a HOF QB to take his place.

What did the Colts get for Manning? Or the Pats for Brady? GB literally played the Favre situation perfectly...

Lmao of "handling HOF QB horribly"

It's not the return that you handled incorrectly, it's that GB makes their QB's hate them for how they're treated. Like, how do you not see this? Favre literally retired and came out so he could play FOR THE VIKINGS....

29 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Here's the thing - a bunch of internete you  users used Spotrac/OverTheCap to figure out the numbers behind this potential move. None of us are contract lawyers, financial advisors, agents, etc.

Rodgers has a team of lawyers, financial advisors and his agent who understand where every single dollar he's earned is, understand every article and bylaw in his contract, and broken down every single scenario for him as he heads down this direction. He hasn't backed down, has he? 

So, Rodgers is well aware of the consequences of his actions. And it doesn't seem to really change his mind, if you're reading into his current actions.

so what are you saying?   Rodgers would be happy to write over a check to a organization he is this upset with he would retire?

So, Incognito, the irony here of you talking so much about the $30M Rodgers might have to pay back (it is might, by the way, it is up to arbitration, not actually guaranteed), is that's all based off of the Barry Sanders rule, where they ruled Sanders had to pay back the portion of the signing bonus after he retired unexpectedly. Everything you're saying Rodgers won't do, that no sensible person would, that it's just outlandish to even consider, is exactly what Barry Sanders did to create that rule in the first place. Sanders wanted to leave, was tired of the Lions FO, they didn't want to let him leave, he chose to retire and pay back millions rather than continue to deal with it. Sound familiar? Now, none of us know nearly enough about Rodgers to know if that's something he would be willing to do, but it is a possibility. He has a ring, he'll get a jacket, he has millions along with a marketable persona to carry into his post-NFL days. Maybe he'd be happier just not dealing with all of this. None of us honestly know.

• Like 6

Just now, squire12 said:

so what are you saying?   Rodgers would be happy to write over a check to a organization he is this upset with he would retire?

Not happy... but prepared to do so if it came to it, with a contingency plan to recoup that money elsewhere.