2021 OTAs and Training Camp Thread

incognito_man

7 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I was talking to a friend about Adams/Rodgers.  I talked about how many more balls Adams gets because Rodgers targets him and looks at him first.  In my mind, I had little doubt that Adams production would dip if Love was under center.

He countered with....if you think Rodgers looks at Adams, then you have to KNOW that Love is going to look there even more.

Hard to counter that logic.  Adams will be a focal point regardless of who takes the snaps.  Which means....if the guy wants a number to sign, get to the number and make it happen.

Yeah but maybe Love should get his own guy.

Adams is old. At least in terms of years in the NFL (wear and tear) and misses games every season which is going to get worse in all likelihood.

Maybe its better to sit down with Love and target a receiver/s in the draft to be Love's Adams who he can get that connection with over a number of years rather than a short term fix . And then spend the Adams money elsewhere.

45 minutes ago, mikemike778 said:

Yeah but maybe Love should get his own guy.

Adams is old. At least in terms of years in the NFL (wear and tear) and misses games every season which is going to get worse in all likelihood.

Maybe its better to sit down with Love and target a receiver/s in the draft to be Love's Adams who he can get that connection with over a number of years rather than a short term fix . And then spend the Adams money elsewhere.

I think maybe Love should be groomed to have a bunch of guys. Put another way spread the ball around like the offense is designed. 

On 6/25/2021 at 9:53 AM, vegas492 said:

Why not?  It's not your money.  Cap is going to go up.  Shouldn't be too hard to fit under the cap.  If Rodgers is gone, it frees up even more money.

I believe that the front office is going to do everything it can to help Love succeed.  Adams is a big part of that.  He makes us better regardless of who is under center.  And let's be fair, we've got no one behind him that has shown that they can be a true #1 receiver in this league.

If a player wants to be here, and it is just an issue of money, I'll bet Ball figures out a way to make it work.

But that is just me being optimistic here.

True👍. That's why I don't get caught up with what players speak into a mic, because at the end of the day it's all about who cuts the biggest check $.

Replacing Adams isn't going to be much easier than replacing Rodgers. WRs come and go, but this is the best one we've had in 20 years. Better than prime Jennings, better than Driver, better than Nelson.

Edited by Rodjahs12

50 minutes ago, Rodjahs12 said:

Replacing Adams isn't going to be much easier than replacing Rodgers. WRs come and go, but this is the best one we've had in 20 years. Better than prime Jennings, better than Driver, better than Nelson.

They may not be as good as Adam’s, but it’s much much easier to find a top tier WR than it is top tier QB. Much easier. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rodjahs12 said:

Finding replacement WR's is probably the easiest position in the NFL in fill. Along with RB's and ILB's. Saying Adams is the best is splitting hairs, they all had things they did better than Adams. 

2 hours ago, R T said:

Finding replacement WR's is probably the easiest position in the NFL in fill. Along with RB's and ILB's. Saying Adams is the best is splitting hairs, they all had things they did better than Adams. 

It's a compliment to Adams more so than anything else. Obviously WRs are much easier to plug and play than QBs but you probably won't see one play the position at the level Davante currently is for quite a long time.

I'm a fan of lineage. The Packer WR lineage goes back to Robert Brooks (at least, off the top of my head). Guys you don't even have to point to and say "be like him." Their professionalism, work ethic and success speaks for itself. I do believe those traits are passed down. Not a diva in the bunch, for the most part. CB's was a position group that had a gap in lineage. Not saying it would have salvaged the likes of Damarius Randall, but you never know. I think that's part of the reason Tramon was kept around so long. Bak telling Tonyan "your blocking flat out needs to be better" during Thanksgiving dinner. The oline goup as a whole. I hope Davante is around long enough to be an example to some guys that are gonna stick 

• Like 1

The most important part of keeping Adams isnt Adams, its the early development of Jordan Love.  

If Love needs a reliable safety net in these first critical years of development, Adams fits the bill.  Costly, but might be money well spent on getting Love comfortable in the first growing years. 

Edited by NFLGURU
  • Like 1

Considering the rules of the game these days and that our offense has so much talent I feel like you would have to be quite bad at professional quarterbacking to go less than 3.5k yards 1:1 td/int ratio.

Edited by HokieHigh

36 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

The most important part of keeping Adams isnt Adams, its the early development of Jordan Love.  

If Love needs a reliable safety net in these first critical years of development, Adams fits the bill.  Costly, but might be money well spent on getting Love comfortable in the first growing years. 

That is actually a great point. I was all for allowing Adams to walk, but you make one of the best points of all. I just don't want Love to 'only have eyes for you!' when it comes to running the offense. Something Aaron does a bit too much of.